Votes: 5 11.6%
  • No, if he refuses to sign, we need to trade him before the deadline

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Wait and see, maybe no other team will give him a better deal than our max

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Try to sign and trade him after the season

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters
"We," in a manner of speaking. Of course it's understood we mean the Jazz. Another way to look at it ... how much money does someone need? We're talking in the hundred million dollar range. Karl or John never made near that much money. Talking about oligarchs. And Rudy is certainly an all-NBA player, but a lot of the guys on the board probably can shoot better than he can. You don't give a super-max to someone who is so one-dimensional.
No one needs money at all. So I guess players should just play for the love of the game and the billionaire owners can just provide them with a dorm and cafeteria.

No no no no! They give him the supermax, it will put us in financial bind for years. And you can forget ever trading that horrible contract cause no one would want to pay that to a center with no offense. We haven’t even made it to the WCF yet with him. He’s a great player and I would argue he’s the most important to our team. But he’s not supermax caliber. I don’t think anyone in the league is besides maybe lebron.

"We," in a manner of speaking. Of course it's understood we mean the Jazz. Another way to look at it ... how much money does someone need? We're talking in the hundred million dollar range. Karl or John never made near that much money. Talking about oligarchs. And Rudy is certainly an all-NBA player, but a lot of the guys on the board probably can shoot better than he can. You don't give a super-max to someone who is so one-dimensional.

Unless that dimension is offense.

Steph - 45 M
CP3 - 44 M
Westbrook - 44 M
Harden - 44 M
J. Wall - 44 M

I wonder how many teams would even be willing to offer Rudy a max contract.

Several will be offering him a max + this summer if the Jazz don't extend. A lot of teams cleared cap space to be in the Giannis and Paul George race - they will take Rudy as a consolation prize.

* Miami would pair him with Bam and have the best defensive front court since Duncan & Robinson.
* San Antonio has always been interested in Rudy, and could pair him with their probable lottery pick (and 2021 is a great draft).
* Dallas is rumored to be interested in pairing him with Krystaps (they'd be legit contenders with Gobert)
* Knicks only have 36 million in committed salary next season (and they have a bunch of Utah people working for them now)
* OKC, Chicago, New Orleans, Cleveland, Memphis, Charlotte, Orlando - all have tons of cap room.

Last edited:
If the Jazz were going to max Gobert, they would have done so by now. So regardless of "should," they aren't.

I don't know what Rudy is expecting but I think just extending his current compensation forward in the new contract is about right, $25M/year.

I don't know what Rudy is expecting but I think just extending his current compensation forward in the new contract is about right, $25M/year.
Almost every single team in the league would pay him more than that.