What's new

Post Pictures of Your Pet Thread

Yeah, the shelter didn't have any information on how he lost it, he was found in a hoarded out house after his previous owner died.
Sad story, but it has a happy ending. What inspired you to rescue a dog? Was it spontaneous or were you planning on it? How have they been for you? They both are pretty dang cute and look chill af.

Sad story, but it has a happy ending. What inspired you to rescue a dog? Was it spontaneous or were you planning on it? How have they been for you? They both are pretty dang cute and look chill af.

My first dog Oscar, (the one with both eyes) I got to keep my then girlfriend's dog company. It had separation anxiety really bad and couldn't handle being alone.

Edgar I got on a complete whim. My friend sent me a link to his page on our local shelter's website completely out of the blue. A few hours later we decided to go get him haha.

Of course I think they are both amazing, but being rescues they've each had their issues. It took Oscar about a year before he was confident enough to do normal dog things like play fetch, or play tug of war. Edgar was incredibly hard to housebreak, and is always running into things lol. They are also not the most happy go lucky dogs, I can't really take them to parks because they just want to fight every dog they see, and are really suspicious of strangers, (they are extremely fond of cuddling with people they know though).

I guess that's why I never begrudge people for not adopting shelter dogs, they can come with a lot of baggage and may not fit with what many people expect from dog ownership.

I guess that's why I never begrudge people for not adopting shelter dogs, they can come with a lot of baggage and may not fit with what many people expect from dog ownership.

Thank you for sharing and also thanks for not being one of those hacks about getting upset if someone doesn't get a rescue dog. I mean, I get why rescuing is important. I get that there are lots of dogs put down. I get that there are puppy mills. I get that there are irresponsible dog breeders. I get that not all rescues have problems and there are some amazing dogs who need homes.

At the end of the day, I knew what I wanted to get for my second dog for tons of calculated reasons. It's weird there are people who question why I bought a dog and tell me I it's morally wrong. Why not let people live their life the way they see fit and don't push your standards and expectations as the universal standard.

My first dog has been such a great addition for my family. He's great with my kid and all kids really. He doesn't shed - both my gf and I are allergic to dogs. He's my adult teddy bear - dude is super therapeutic.

My gf and I want and plan on getting both of our dogs certified as therapy dogs to bring to hospitals and help kids. Kodi (the big one) is a celebrity everywhere we go and everyone feels inclined to ask us what kind of dog he is. Kids absolutely love him and are bot afraid to approach him - even with his size. He's a gentle giant and loves meeting new people. There's something special about seeing the smiles he brings to kids. I have no doubt Koba (the puppy) will do the same. I'm hoping she's not as stubborn as Kodi though. Haha

CoolPro20180812_125858_zps9i95f84p.jpg

CoolPro20180812_125930_zpsmlwfj3zp.jpg

Feel bad for bigb losing his dog today. Some of my favourite things I've done this summer have been with my dogs. It definitely makes things harder and more complicated bringing them places, but man it's fun. They just finished a dog park a few blocks from my house we're going to take the dogs to tonight. I'll probably just take the lil one tonight and then wait for her to get the rest of her shots. She's so different than my big. She's incredibly sensitive so socializing her as a pup is a must. She's come a long ways since we got her and she can handle strangers, crowds and other dogs pretty well. She struggles more with noises, but I have no doubt she'll get over that too (the pic of her here she heard a loud noise and was like wtf.) It's amazing how much she mimics and learns from my other dog. So glad I got another dog, even though I get up once or twice a night to take her out.

I recommend to anyone who's willing to take the proper care for a dog to get one. Especially a big one.

Dog died yesterday. We got him from the shelter December 2013. He was probably ~6 months at the time. Every year or two he’ll get sick, usually from something he ate, for a few days then pep back up. We noticed throw up on his cage maybe Tuesday? Acted completely fine the next day. Sometimes overeats so thought little of it. The next day had a little bit of watery vomit in his cage overnight. Seemed a little sick. Was expecting him to turn the corner but seemed to get worse. Decided was going to take him in later Friday. Saturday morning had an appointment at 10 am, went to Walmart to get stuff for our 3 year old’s birthday. Wife called as I was checking out because our 10 year old found him dead. My wife had checked on him a few minutes before. Kids were pretty devastated. Hell, I’m pretty devastated. It’s complicated. In hindsight, I’m wondering if he had a bowel obstruction and that he very likely could have recovered if treated. I honestly expected that dog to live forever, and I feel like I’ve totally failed him.

Dog died yesterday. We got him from the shelter December 2013. He was probably ~6 months at the time. Every year or two he’ll get sick, usually from something he ate, for a few days then pep back up. We noticed throw up on his cage maybe Tuesday? Acted completely fine the next day. Sometimes overeats so thought little of it. The next day had a little bit of watery vomit in his cage overnight. Seemed a little sick. Was expecting him to turn the corner but seemed to get worse. Decided was going to take him in later Friday. Saturday morning had an appointment at 10 am, went to Walmart to get stuff for our 3 year old’s birthday. Wife called as I was checking out because our 10 year old found him dead. My wife had checked on him a few minutes before. Kids were pretty devastated. Hell, I’m pretty devastated. It’s complicated. In hindsight, I’m wondering if he had a bowel obstruction and that he very likely could have recovered if treated. I honestly expected that dog to live forever, and I feel like I’ve totally failed him.

Sorry, brotha. Based on your description, I was thinking the same thing about bowel obstruction. But don’t beat yourself up. It sucks big time but there’s nothing you can do. Like you said, he seemed fine at certain points. But we all get busy with life which makes dealing with each and every circumstance more complicated than it would be if that was the only thing, in isolation, we had going on.

So don’t beat yourself up. You did the best you could do at that moment.

Aw man that really sucks. My heart breaks for you. Dont blame yourself, diagnosing and treating our fur babies is hard.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Yeah, thanks for asking. It’s been a bit tough, though, for a lot of reasons. Hard to really describe but it’s kind of a coalescence of many different things. As a kid we had a dog as well as a couple cats and remember them dying. Our dog was like 14 and died while I was out in Ohio on a mission, and I was expecting that. Anyway, I’d always been against the idea of getting an animal because of knowing it’s pretty temporary and knowing you’ll deal with their death within ten years or so, so I had resisted the idea for quite a while. I was ready to get a dog but hadn’t verbalized that to my wife, but was waiting until we ended up moving to Texas when we’d then own our own house, so we got a dog after being there for 4 or so months. We only had two kids at the time and I was on call a lot and working overnight, so it made my wife feel better. We had a Doberman for 9 months, too, but when we had our third kid we weren’t able to devote enough time to his high energy needs so we re-homed him (the Doberman) and that was really hard. My oldest son took it really hard (I think he was 6 at the time) and I remember a couple days later I saw a drawing on the porch he did in sidewalk chalk of the dog and that was tough. In a way I felt like I really failed him. Anyway, fast forward to now, and our dog had been with us longer than we’ve had our three youngest kids, and my second oldest was just barely 3 when we got him, so he’s never really known anything else and he seems to be really struggling. As for me, though I’m not a vet, I am a physician and should have or did know better and should have done something sooner. One thing separate from this is my frustration with how little we really understand about medical science and how much that varies from the public perception of medicine, and I think the farther along I went with my training the more scientifically agnostic I have become, because there often times aren’t answers to certain questions out there, yet as humans we demand certain answers, so we often accept answers that aren’t true or are purely hypothetical because it satisfies that psychological need. The way this relates to me is that I’m much more patient with things and not in a panic, as we too often overreact. So constantly I’m fielding questions from family or my wife about if we need to take someone in for something, of which I’m usually pumping the brakes. I’m clearly not a vet, but my wife would ask if we need to take him in, and it was a legit consideration, but I was giving him a bit of time. My oldest, who’s very anxious, had asked about it a few times, and the morning he died was googling “dog dying symptoms” because he was getting worried. So this is hard, because my son always has a lot of anxiety and we’re constantly reassuring him, yet here I feel like I’ve totally failed him. I’m not saying that in hindsight. There’s enough there that I should have seen to go in a day or two earlier. Who knows what would have happened, but I can’t imagine what that will do to his perspective and his anxiety over time when he catastrophizes and feels like, when it really matters, he’s powerless, and that nobody is listening.