What's new

Post Pictures of Your Pet Thread

Yeah, thanks for asking. It’s been a bit tough, though, for a lot of reasons. Hard to really describe but it’s kind of a coalescence of many different things. As a kid we had a dog as well as a couple cats and remember them dying. Our dog was like 14 and died while I was out in Ohio on a mission, and I was expecting that. Anyway, I’d always been against the idea of getting an animal because of knowing it’s pretty temporary and knowing you’ll deal with their death within ten years or so, so I had resisted the idea for quite a while. I was ready to get a dog but hadn’t verbalized that to my wife, but was waiting until we ended up moving to Texas when we’d then own our own house, so we got a dog after being there for 4 or so months. We only had two kids at the time and I was on call a lot and working overnight, so it made my wife feel better. We had a Doberman for 9 months, too, but when we had our third kid we weren’t able to devote enough time to his high energy needs so we re-homed him (the Doberman) and that was really hard. My oldest son took it really hard (I think he was 6 at the time) and I remember a couple days later I saw a drawing on the porch he did in sidewalk chalk of the dog and that was tough. In a way I felt like I really failed him. Anyway, fast forward to now, and our dog had been with us longer than we’ve had our three youngest kids, and my second oldest was just barely 3 when we got him, so he’s never really known anything else and he seems to be really struggling. As for me, though I’m not a vet, I am a physician and should have or did know better and should have done something sooner. One thing separate from this is my frustration with how little we really understand about medical science and how much that varies from the public perception of medicine, and I think the farther along I went with my training the more scientifically agnostic I have become, because there often times aren’t answers to certain questions out there, yet as humans we demand certain answers, so we often accept answers that aren’t true or are purely hypothetical because it satisfies that psychological need. The way this relates to me is that I’m much more patient with things and not in a panic, as we too often overreact. So constantly I’m fielding questions from family or my wife about if we need to take someone in for something, of which I’m usually pumping the brakes. I’m clearly not a vet, but my wife would ask if we need to take him in, and it was a legit consideration, but I was giving him a bit of time. My oldest, who’s very anxious, had asked about it a few times, and the morning he died was googling “dog dying symptoms” because he was getting worried. So this is hard, because my son always has a lot of anxiety and we’re constantly reassuring him, yet here I feel like I’ve totally failed him. I’m not saying that in hindsight. There’s enough there that I should have seen to go in a day or two earlier. Who knows what would have happened, but I can’t imagine what that will do to his perspective and his anxiety over time when he catastrophizes and feels like, when it really matters, he’s powerless, and that nobody is listening.

Thats horrible man. Forgive yourself. Thats the best thing you can do for your family. Dont hold onto that guilt. It will only make things worse for everyone.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

1 of 3 pups.

20190221_153041-jpg.6922

Cutie. You have all three pups? Thats a lot of work!

Thats horrible man. Forgive yourself. Thats the best thing you can do for your family. Dont hold onto that guilt. It will only make things worse for everyone.
It's not affecting anyone in any way. But guilt is often appropriate and healthy, as it allows us to self-reflect and, if necessary, course-correct.

Our newest addition, Kodiak. He’s 6 1/2 weeks old. Purebred chocolate lab. Hopefully he’ll reinvigorate the 10 year old golden lab who’s been a little down in the dumps since we lost our Grizzly last summer.
View attachment 6976View attachment 6977

We named our big dog Kodibear with, obviously, Kodiak in mind.

Glad you got a new dog and hopefully you have has many great memories with this one as you did your last.

We named our big dog Kodibear with, obviously, Kodiak in mind.

Glad you got a new dog and hopefully you have has many great memories with this one as you did your last.

He actually reminds me some of the one we lost. It’s kinda freaky.
Your little one looks like Wile E Coyote

He actually reminds me some of the one we lost. It’s kinda freaky.
Your little one looks like Wile E Coyote

Have you seen this trailer yet? It might be something your kids would really enjoy, especially if your new one reminds you of your late dog.

We hear she looks like Wile E. all the time. We actually call her that from time to time and we call Kodi Wifford. Her name is Kobawulf and we just call her Koba. I didn't know Koba was Joseph Stalin's nickname before we named her, but apparently, it is. Lol Koba was the name of a wolf in some book and went well with Kodi.

Both of my dogs look like cartoon characters.

Our newest addition, Kodiak. He’s 6 1/2 weeks old. Purebred chocolate lab. Hopefully he’ll reinvigorate the 10 year old golden lab who’s been a little down in the dumps since we lost our Grizzly last summer.
View attachment 6976View attachment 6977
OMG.
All puppies are amazingly cute but lab puppies are the best. So fun.

I figured you would get a new dog soon since you are probably always bored with nothing going on at your house........

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

OMG.
All puppies are amazingly cute but lab puppies are the best. So fun.

I figured you would get a new dog soon since you are probably always bored with nothing going on at your house........

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

This was 100% my wife’s doing. She did the research and calling. She went and looked at the litter and picked the puppy. I knew she was doing it and she knows the questions to ask and what to look for. I kept telling her to wait til summer, but here he is.
Spring is literally the worst time for us to get a dog. I’ll be gone probably an average of 5 nights a week until June. When am I supposed to train this thing?

This was 100% my wife’s doing. She did the research and calling. She went and looked at the litter and picked the puppy. I knew she was doing it and she knows the questions to ask and what to look for. I kept telling her to wait til summer, but here he is.
Spring is literally the worst time for us to get a dog. I’ll be gone probably an average of 5 nights a week until June. When am I supposed to train this thing?

On the other hand, i always say that getting a dog always makes life better. But ya, she should have planned the timing better. Why didnt she wait? Was there a good deal for the pup or did she know the breeder or something?

On the other hand, i always say that getting a dog always makes life better. But ya, she should have planned the timing better. Why didnt she wait? Was there a good deal for the pup or did she know the breeder or something?

She’s baby hungry. So it’s either a puppy or a baby...
But we got him for a deal. $200 for an AKC registered, pure bred lab.