What's new

Potential additions for next year at SF/PF, PF/C

I asked this question in another thread (half in jest), but didn’t get much traction.

Do you all think Blake Griffin is washed? He has one more year on his contract than Conley. They could be swapped straight across with maybe a little draft capital coming our way.

Hard to say no. But my dreams of parlaying Conley as the way to fixing our problems feel so much more pressing. I obviously need to let it go.

I asked this question in another thread (half in jest), but didn’t get much traction.

Do you all think Blake Griffin is washed? He has one more year on his contract than Conley. They could be swapped straight across with maybe a little draft capital coming our way.
I'd love to move Mitchell to PG and recoup something for Conley. I would take Blake in a heartbeat just because it raises our ceiling so much. I'm also not sure if Conley is even worth an aging Blake at this point.

We aren't getting near what we gave up in return for Conley. Even as an expiring.

I'd love to move Mitchell to PG and recoup something for Conley. I would take Blake in a heartbeat just because it raises our ceiling so much. I'm also not sure if Conley is even worth an aging Blake at this point.

We aren't getting near what we gave up in return for Conley. Even as an expiring.
Unless you are trading one of Rudy or DM then moving Conley for an equivalent but longer deal ain't happening. The money will be too much in a Covid world. The only teams that will spend like that right now are the big money teams that also have really competitive owners.

A Conley deal could bring back long term salary but not that much... something in the teens is more palatable.

Couple of assumptions based on our general mode of operation... we won't make big changes, so no Conley trade. Also, we retain JC at a reasonable price $8-10M per year. Using the MLE likely puts us over the luxury tax.

I honestly think next year that Oni and Brantley can be valuable rotation players. Bradley is much better than he was (though the playoffs provide an acid test for him) I can't see us giving up on Tony now when he's actually paying off a little. I think we go the budget bin for any other additions to avoid the luxury tax and keep salaries low. I'm looking at valuable wing defenders in the under $5M range. Utility guys that can play a couple positions.

Shaq Harrison in Chicago is one I'd be very interested in. Can probably get him under $3M per year (maybe even minimum deal). Can play 1-3 and is a good/disruptive defender.

Torrey Craig is another guy though he could go above the $5M budget with a good playoff. Valuable and versatile wing defender does the dirty work.

If you assume basic good health and that Mike and JC are both back then how many minutes are we talking about leftover. Bradley takes 12-14 backing up Rudy then there is probably 12-15 minutes between a wing or of option. I think you can get that out of Brantley or Oni but if the Jazz brass don’t think so then you can get something in the bargain bin that is more proven. I don’t see us spending an extra 4-5M to get a Moe Harkless or Jamychal Green... definitely don’t see us spending 10M (or whatever the MLE is) on Jerami Grant.

I won’t kill the Jazz if they go budget version this offseason. Retaining JC I think is a bigger priority than adding our 8/9 guy.

Bradley actually reminds me a lot of Kanter. Dude can absolutely get buckets around the rim, and grab some boards. But he is a complete non-factor on defense. And I'm really not sure how much room he has to improve on that end.

Regardless, he has shown enough and is very cheap. We already commit way more to the Center position than most teams. Bradley is about the only kind of backup we can reasonably afford.

I think this is a fair question. I think Blake Griffin just wants/needs something to play for. He has no incentive to bust it to get back on the court for struggling Detroit. As for fit, I think he would be amazing. He is an all-purpose player who would make life so much easier on Don, Rudy and company. We could give him plenty of rest throughout the year in order to be 100% for the playoffs. Detroit would probably jump at the chance to dump his 2021-22 cap number. I think they would happily give assets to dump it.

Conley and Ed Davis (combined $39.5) for Blake Griffin ($36.6) and some sort of asset(s).

What asset could they give us:
- we aren't getting their #5 pick in the 2020 draft.
- Could we get a protected future 1st?
- Would they include Luke Kennard?
- Even better, would they include Doumbouya if we sweetened the pot a little?

Yall really think Wood is all that after showing out on a bottom feeding tank team?

I'm just not fully convinced yet. If I'm trading a guy like Bogey I would want more proven vet production and depth who fits the team better.

*That being said, I'm not fully aware of how Wood plays, but I don't think Utah is the easiest plug and play for 4's. You have to be able to play from the perimeter a lot and be able to play with Rudy*
I worry more about his maturity level than anything. It seems like he has worked hard but sometimes those types get paid and their motivation fades a bit.

I wouldn't trade Bojan for him... I'd see if you could maneuver to create a cap exception you could trade for him. I'd sign him to a MLE deal in a heartbeat but his market should be well over that imo.

I loved the guy but I've moved on from the dream.

Bradley actually reminds me a lot of Kanter. Dude can absolutely get buckets around the rim, and grab some boards. But he is a complete non-factor on defense. And I'm really not sure how much room he has to improve on that end.

Regardless, he has shown enough and is very cheap. We already commit way more to the Center position than most teams. Bradley is about the only kind of backup we can reasonably afford.
He's gotten much better on both ends of the floor. Kanter is a useful offensive player but is slow laterally and a putrid rim defender. I think Tony has gotten better at the rim... averaged a block a game after the AS break and he moves well for his size. He's seeing things a little better. Honestly I'm in the camp of we should just stick with Tony at this point. I don't know how much better we can get by throwing the MLE at a center.

I think this is a fair question. I think Blake Griffin just wants/needs something to play for. He has no incentive to bust it to get back on the court for struggling Detroit. As for fit, I think he would be amazing. He is an all-purpose player who would make life so much easier on Don, Rudy and company. We could give him plenty of rest throughout the year in order to be 100% for the playoffs. Detroit would probably jump at the chance to dump his 2021-22 cap number. I think they would happily give assets to dump it.

Conley and Ed Davis (combined $39.5) for Blake Griffin ($36.6) and some sort of asset(s).

What asset could they give us:
- we aren't getting their #5 pick in the 2020 draft.
- Could we get a protected future 1st?
- Would they include Luke Kennard?
- Even better, would they include Doumbouya if we sweetened the pot a little?
Why would they give up future assets to clear Blake? They don't have salary issues. They'd do Conley for BG and likely Kennard or Brown... maybe both. They have to get to the salary floor anyway and it isn't like they are trying to be FA players. They aren't going to give up future value to dump his money... they would likely be opportunistic.

It was surprising too see Jae Crowder's iso defense stats are not that different from Niang's. Slightly worse actually. I will have a pass.

If Jerami Grant declines his option he would be a good addition with a slight overpay but he is getting good minutes and playing with Jokic so I doubt it.

Wood wants a place he can start. That's not happening with Bogey and his best position is 5.

Thad Yaoung was the worst finisher in the league at some point so I shudder at the thought.

Harkless seems to best option as a wing defender that can shoot some and he is not expensive.

Bogey's natural position is at the 3. Wood could start at the 4.

I think the Jazz may be comfortable giving Brantley backup minutes at the 4 next year, especially given budget constraints. The Jazz need one athletic wing with size, length and adequate shooting.

Why would they give up future assets to clear Blake? They don't have salary issues. They'd do Conley for BG and likely Kennard or Brown... maybe both. They have to get to the salary floor anyway and it isn't like they are trying to be FA players. They aren't going to give up future value to dump his money... they would likely be opportunistic.

$39 million for Blake Griffin in 2021-22 is a whole, whole lot of money. Detroit has a new arena and the economy must be crushing that city and this franchise. Shedding that money while investing in Wood would signal a long Sixers style rebuild. As a fan, I would accept that. Just hard to rationalize a massive rebuild when you have a former All Star bouncing back and forth from the injury room to play with the youth movement.

I think shedding the $39 million for Blake is a massive statement for Detroit. I don't think they would give up anything like a top 10 pick, but I think they have to give up something to do it. And outside of salary issues for BG, Conley is actually a good fit there as a mentor/team leader for Detroit.

You are right, they don't have to do it. However, I think they will want to.

Last edited:
$39 million for Blake Griffin in 2021-22 is a whole, whole lot of money. Detroit has a new arena and the economy must be crushing that city and this franchise. Shedding that money while investing in Wood would signal a long Sixers style rebuild. As a fan, I would accept that. Just hard to rationalize a massive rebuild when you have a former All Star bouncing back and forth from the injury room to play with the youth movement.

I think shedding the $39 million for Blake is a massive statement for Detroit. I don't think they would give up anything like a top 10 pick, but I think they have to give up something to do it. And outside of salary issues for BG, Conley is actually a good fit there as a mentor/team leader for Detroit.

Team’s are required to spend 90% of the cap and Detroit isn’t close to getting there. Both he and Blake are staying (unless they can get a haul of assets for Blake).

If they still have to fill that salary to get to the salary floor then why dump a guy that might sell some tickets. Just saying they are in good shape to ride that deal out. Don’t really have many players they need to extend (sad but true). Aren’t a FA destination. Can keep Blake and stay at the salary floor while using cap space to acquire draft picks.

Team’s are required to spend 90% of the cap and Detroit isn’t close to getting there. Both he and Blake are staying (unless they can get a haul of assets for Blake).
This... it doesn’t actually save them money. They might make adjustments to the salary floor because of the virus which would open things up a bit. It just screws with our cap to add that much money and I’d honestly rather do a Horford type deal where we get assets and can use Al as a role player. Getting a declining star may hurt more than it helps. We have enough guys that can score and play with the ball in their hand.

I like Blake’s game a lot and think it sucks he’s stuck there and had so many injuries... I think he might be close to done.