What's new

Potential additions for next year at SF/PF, PF/C

Give me wood or give me death!

He's gotten much better on both ends of the floor. Kanter is a useful offensive player but is slow laterally and a putrid rim defender. I think Tony has gotten better at the rim... averaged a block a game after the AS break and he moves well for his size. He's seeing things a little better. Honestly I'm in the camp of we should just stick with Tony at this point. I don't know how much better we can get by throwing the MLE at a center.
Agreed...and also having Rudy as a teammate could help Tony to get better and better in D.

I'd be all in on Conley for Griffin, wouldn't need any additional assets to convince me.

Of the guys on the market Millsap is the vet I'd like back to be the bench big. I don't really see any defensive wings that look interesting, may just have to hope this years pick (Josh Green?) or one of the current rooks can develop into that role.

Last edited:
Team’s are required to spend 90% of the cap and Detroit isn’t close to getting there. Both he and Blake are staying (unless they can get a haul of assets for Blake).

They are going to spend a ton of money to keep Wood more than likely. The NBA salary floor was $91 this season. If they trade Blake for Conley and sign Wood for $20 million, they are already there.

The floor might be an issue for 21-22, but Detroit could fill that gap pretty easily. They could overpay a couple free agents, take assets to pick up a bad contract, etc. Blake Griffin does nothing but get in the way of the youth movement at this point. Nobody is happy if he stays and they go youth.

If they still have to fill that salary to get to the salary floor then why dump a guy that might sell some tickets. Just saying they are in good shape to ride that deal out. Don’t really have many players they need to extend (sad but true). Aren’t a FA destination. Can keep Blake and stay at the salary floor while using cap space to acquire draft picks.

See above. Salary floor isn't an issue. Wood's contact will get them to $90+ for next year. As for 21-22, flexibility will be key.

They are going to spend a ton of money to keep Wood more than likely. The NBA salary floor was $91 this season. If they trade Blake for Conley and sign Wood for $20 million, they are already there.

The floor might be an issue for 21-22, but Detroit could fill that gap pretty easily. They could overpay a couple free agents, take assets to pick up a bad contract, etc. Blake Griffin does nothing but get in the way of the youth movement at this point. Nobody is happy if he stays and they go youth.
Why give up youth or assets to move him for expirings through... in hopes you can use the space to get young players and draft picks? He's always hurt so not like he's in the way. He could get healthy and his trade value sky rockets (similar to CP3). Wood won't get $20M. They can be patient. Hell they might even be getting insurance money on Blake's deal so it would actually be a big deal to move him.

I'm just saying what they should be willing to give to get rid of him isn't worth it in my opinion. It isn't like they are saving $40M by getting rid of him and financial reasons are the biggest reasons to do it.

See above. Salary floor isn't an issue. Wood's contact will get them to $90+ for next year. As for 21-22, flexibility will be key.
It isn't an "issue". What we are saying is they will spend up to the floor regardless... and they could still be at or near the floor with Griffin. It just doesn't do anything meaningful for them in the finance realm. I doubt they would like to be players in FA... but that is a better argument.

Why give up youth or assets to move him for expirings through... in hopes you can use the space to get young players and draft picks? He's always hurt so not like he's in the way. He could get healthy and his trade value sky rockets (similar to CP3). Wood won't get $20M. They can be patient. Hell they might even be getting insurance money on Blake's deal so it would actually be a big deal to move him.

I'm just saying what they should be willing to give to get rid of him isn't worth it in my opinion. It isn't like they are saving $40M by getting rid of him and financial reasons are the biggest reasons to do it.

There have been plenty of examples of good players who don't want to languish on a rebuilding roster. Simply financially, sure Detroit could just keep Blake and spend the bare minimum to reach the floor.

Or, they could trade him and build a little excitement in the fanbase about tanking in 20-21 and spending crazy money in 21-22. Will they lure a free agent? Who knows. It's worth the marketing push over keeping an injury prone uninspired Griffin around simply to reach the salary floor.

There have been plenty of examples of good players who don't want to languish on a rebuilding roster. Simply financially, sure Detroit could just keep Blake and spend the bare minimum to reach the floor.

Or, they could trade him and build a little excitement in the fanbase about tanking in 20-21 and spending crazy money in 21-22. Will they lure a free agent? Who knows. It's worth the marketing push over keeping an injury prone uninspired Griffin around simply to reach the salary floor.
Sounds like some Sacramento/NY GMing right there. Use assets to clear space to sign someone... then end up signing no one but overpaying dudes on one year deals to maintain flexibility when nothing good comes around. If someone will swap him for expiring deals straight up then they do that all damn day. If they have to sweeten the pot then its dumb. If he's healthy for a month they could get someone excited and trade him without sweeteners. They don't have assets to spare so giving them away to get fans happy about tanking would be dumb. Fans don't get excited to tank. As a matter of fact it makes fans check out and wait until next year.

Does Wood shooting stay the same or does it get worse when he is on the floor with a non shooter?
He was in Detroit this year... he shared the floor with many non-shooters.

Sounds like some Sacramento/NY GMing right there. Use assets to clear space to sign someone... then end up signing no one but overpaying dudes on one year deals to maintain flexibility when nothing good comes around. If someone will swap him for expiring deals straight up then they do that all damn day. If they have to sweeten the pot then its dumb. If he's healthy for a month they could get someone excited and trade him without sweeteners. They don't have assets to spare so giving them away to get fans happy about tanking would be dumb. Fans don't get excited to tank. As a matter of fact it makes fans check out and wait until next year.

Maybe we just aren't on the same page from my initial comments. If Detroit trades Blake Griffin for Conley, they have to give up something.

What I said in my original post was Griffin and Kennard (expiring RFA), OR Griffin and a protected future 1st, OR Griffin and Doumbouya (they would actually get an asset from us for this).

- Kennard is eh. I could see how we value him, but I wonder what his value is overall. Detroit might not even want him long term.

- If Detroit sent us a lottery protected 1st and Griffin for Conley, it might be 5 or 6 years until we are conveyed that pick. Clearing off that salary (and unhappy Griffin) for 21-22 might be more important for that franchise than some pick in the teens in 5 or 6 years.

- Doumbouya is a stretch. Doubtful

If I was setting the over/under on a Wood contract I'd say 4 years and 50M... I'd be fairly shocked if someone went over 4/60M and I think there is a world where he gets slightly better than the MLE due to lack of FA spending.

Maybe we just aren't on the same page from my initial comments. If Detroit trades Blake Griffin for Conley, they have to give up something.

What I said in my original post was Griffin and Kennard (expiring RFA), OR Griffin and a protected future 1st, OR Griffin and Doumbouya (they would actually get an asset from us for this).

- Kennard is eh. I could see how we value him, but I wonder what his value is overall. Detroit might not even want him long term.

- If Detroit sent us a lottery protected 1st and Griffin for Conley, it might be 5 or 6 years until we are conveyed that pick. Clearing off that salary (and unhappy Griffin) for 21-22 might be more important for that franchise than some pick in the teens in 5 or 6 years.

- Doumbouya is a stretch. Doubtful
Its still a first... and honestly they could likely get a first if they moved Kennard. Probably a late first but I could see Philly jumping all over that deal. So its a couple first to move him with no monetary benefit because you need to fill the salary slot anyway.

If it is Blake for Conley straight up then sure... If it is Blake and Luke for Conley I could see them going for that too. Add a first to it and I think its a no... we wouldn't do it without the first right? So that first then would have value to them too.

I think the much better course for them is fairly obvious... hold onto Blake and hope he has a healthy stretch and then move him for expirings. Don't sell an asset at its lowest value.

If I was setting the over/under on a Wood contract I'd say 4 years and 50M... I'd be fairly shocked if someone went over 4/60M and I think there is a world where he gets slightly better than the MLE due to lack of FA spending.

It's possible that Wood is the best free agent in the market. Why wouldn't New York, Atlanta, Miami, Toronto and Charlotte be interested in signing him to $20+?

I mean, look at this list of free agents knowing that Hayward, Drummond, Anthony Davis and others are gonna stay put:

It's possible that Wood is the best free agent in the market. Why wouldn't New York, Atlanta, Miami, Toronto and Charlotte be interested in signing him to $20+?

I mean, look at this list of free agents knowing that Hayward, Drummond, Anthony Davis and others are gonna stay put:
Thats just my guess... his value could be all over the place.

Atlanta has Collins and Capela... they will look elsewhere... Miami won't do long term money as they are looking towards Giannis FA. Toronto really doesn't have space unless they renounce Van Vleet, Serge and Gasol...

So it is really NY, Detroit, and Charlotte. I could see one of those teams going to $20M but I could also see NY doing the one year place holder and MJ getting tight with his money. There are other good bigs on the market that might come cheaper.

Thats just my guess... his value could be all over the place.

Atlanta has Collins and Capela... they will look elsewhere... Miami won't do long term money as they are looking towards Giannis FA. Toronto really doesn't have space unless they renounce Van Vleet, Serge and Gasol...

So it is really NY, Detroit, and Charlotte. I could see one of those teams going to $20M but I could also see NY doing the one year place holder and MJ getting tight with his money. There are other good bigs on the market that might come cheaper.

Miami is smart enough to get Wood (hehe) if they can and trade him if they need to in order to acquire Giannis.

Toronto depends. Why would they bring back Gasol and Ibaka if they can get Wood?

I just think $15 is cheap since I think he's the best long term free agent on the market this summer.

Miami is smart enough to get Wood (hehe) if they can and trade him if they need to in order to acquire Giannis.

Toronto depends. Why would they bring back Gasol and Ibaka if they can get Wood?

I just think $15 is cheap since I think he's the best long term free agent on the market this summer.

I guess on Miami, but Pat also know he has good young bigs and it can be tough to move a bad deal. They also have to renounce guys to do it.

Toronto can't sign Wood without renounce all their free agents and Van Vleet is a better player than Wood... imo so are Gasol and Ibaka, but I get the long term value argument in favor of Wood.

I just think its a limited market and teams know they can likely get bigs cheaper than other positions. You might be right... NY might pony up. I get the feeling they go the other route and get more established guys.

Who knows where the dominos will fall... If I had to guess 4/50ish is what I'd guess.

He's gotten much better on both ends of the floor. Kanter is a useful offensive player but is slow laterally and a putrid rim defender. I think Tony has gotten better at the rim... averaged a block a game after the AS break and he moves well for his size. He's seeing things a little better. Honestly I'm in the camp of we should just stick with Tony at this point. I don't know how much better we can get by throwing the MLE at a center.
Surprisingly, Tony’s per 36 stats are virtually identical to Rudy’s. Obviously projecting 11 minutes per game on 36 minutes isn’t always realistic (not to mention that he would be fouled out twice in that much time) and Rudy’s defense is incomparable, but it’s interesting to note.