What's new

Pre-draft workouts

And yes, we have discussed Okobo's issues on defense here. He can be casual on defense at times. He isnt a bad defender though. If he puts in the effort he can be above average on that level.

And yes, we have discussed Okobo's issues on defense here. He can be casual on defense at times. He isnt a bad defender though. If he puts in the effort he can be above average on that level.

Lmao. Yes, because you've watched handfuls of games of Okobo to reach that conclusion. Freakin' clown.

Lmao. Yes, because you've watched handfuls of games of Okobo to reach that conclusion. Freakin' clown.
I've watched Okobo since he worked out for the Jazz last season. I've probably seen more Okobo than the random Sixers podcast guy.

And there are scouting videos on Okobo that praise some of his defensive traits.

One guy on Sixers podcast today said Okobo is God awful on defense and that in the NBA, he’ll always be thee worst defender on the court. Like easily.

And keep in mind he doesn’t play in a great league either. Someone (Franschilla I think) ranked it as the 7th best league in the world.

I don't think he'll be that bad on defense. He has the size and athleticism to be just fine on that end.

Here’s the link to the analytics rankings.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23771351/espn-draft-analytics-model-makes-nba-draft-projections

Smith 9th.
Melton 13th
Brown 14th
KBD 15th
Robinson 16th
Carter 17th
Miles Bridges 19th
Evans 21st
Wagner 23rd
Spalding 24th
DD 26th
Musa 27th...
Allen 47th
Okogie 51st
Simons 52nd
Okobo 73rd

Their ratings are junk. Last year they said Donovan Mitchell had less than a 1% chance to ever be at an all star level, less than a 10% chance to be a starter, less than a 20% chance to be a role player, and less than a 30% chance to even make it in the league. Their analytics didn't like Tatum either. Their favorite to be the best player in the 2017 draft was Johnathan Isaac lol

I don't think he'll be that bad on defense. He has the size and athleticism to be just fine on that end.

Their ratings are junk. Last year they said Donovan Mitchell had less than a 1% chance to ever be at an all star level, less than a 10% chance to be a starter, less than a 20% chance to be a role player, and less than a 30% chance to even make it in the league. Their analytics didn't like Tatum either. Their favorite to be the best player in the 2017 draft was Johnathan Isaac lol

Fair enough.

Here’s the link to the analytics rankings.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23771351/espn-draft-analytics-model-makes-nba-draft-projections

Smith 9th.
Melton 13th
Brown 14th
KBD 15th
Robinson 16th
Carter 17th
Miles Bridges 19th
Evans 21st
Wagner 23rd
Spalding 24th
DD 26th
Musa 27th...
Allen 47th
Okogie 51st
Simons 52nd
Okobo 73rd
Kuzma was like 80th last year. Bradley was 14 and Isaac Humphries was two spots behind Donovan. That model is Seriously a joke.

Okobo's defensive worries are overstated. He has a nice frame and his only worry for me is that he doesn't defend with the same intensity every possession. Nothing that can't Quin and our defensive identity can't fix.

Hopefully, he falls into our laps and not on San Antonio's.

Okobo's defensive worries are overstated. He has a nice frame and his only worry for me is that he doesn't defend with the same intensity every possession. Nothing that can't Quin and our defensive identity can't fix.

Hopefully, he falls into our laps and not on San Antonio's.
That is all well and good when he is guarding ones. But the real concern is how can he handle being matched up on wings. Because if he is playing next to Mitchell, he will get matched up on wings.

That is all well and good when he is guarding ones. But the real concern is how can he handle being matched up on wings. Because if he is playing next to Mitchell, he will get matched up on wings.

Why can’t he and Mitchell switch? They don’t have to specifically guard 1’s or 2’s...they can both guard either, and they do have the size to spot guard 3’s...Mitchell more so than Okobo.

6’8 wingspan and Mitchell has a 6’10 wingspan. They would be just fine sharing the backcourt together size wise.

Why can’t he and Mitchell switch? They don’t have to specifically guard 1’s or 2’s...they can both guard either, and they do have the size to spot guard 3’s...Mitchell more so than Okobo.

6’8 wingspan and Mitchell has a 6’10 wingspan. They would be just fine sharing the backcourt together size wise.
I think you'll be putting yourself at a disadvantage every night. So IMO it makes more sense to draft more size.

You know, every time I look up highlights of guys in the ACC, like Jerome Robinson, Gary Trent Jr. and Josh Okogie, they're always lighting up Miami and Lonnie Walker. In these particular clips, Walker doesn't look entirely engaged either offensively or defensively, but he kind of floats around. There's a chance we'll look back on this draft and see that Robinson and Okogie were much more impactful than Walker.

It's getting to the point where I'm not 100% sure that Walker is an elite prospect. He sure looks that way in workouts, but he needs to get engaged more in actual games. He fades in and out.

Hey Catch, I'm the OG Lonnie-is-a-bust so you're going to have to back off that take.

I think you'll be putting yourself at a disadvantage every night. So IMO it makes more sense to draft more size.

The average NBA SG has a 6’8” wingspan, the average NBA SF has a 6’11” wingspan.

So realistically, Okobo and Mitchell could guard 1-3, with Okobo having a disadvantage against the average 3 (where I don’t think he would ever guard anyways), and Mitchell’s size is adequate there.

Their size is ideal for guarding the backcourt though.

He did well actually, he can absorb strength. His 6'8 wingspan helps a lot. He also looks lile he can handle more weight.

He did well actually, he can absorb strength. His 6'8 wingspan helps a lot. He also looks lile he can handle more weight.

He's 180 lbs, that's lighter than Trey Burke. I think Harden would go through him like a locomotive.

He's 180 lbs, that's lighter than Trey Burke. I think Harden would go through him like a locomotive.
Harden went through everyone except Exum who is 190lbs at 6'6. I would say Okobo's weight is distrubed well, he absorbs strength.

If he ups his defensive intensity, he would be a more than decent, versatile defender.