What's new

Predict the Rudy Gobert trade

Zach can only get a 5th year from Chicago. All the "rumors" around Zach are purely just to make sure the 5th year is on the table when FA begins imo. He's 27 and while he's made good money (think his deal was like 80M)... this is his shot to make his biggest money. Buls can offer 5 year deal worth $210M and give him a PO on the last year if he wants to test FA one more time. Best other teams can do is 4/157M. The Portland talk is somewhat silly as it would have to be a sign and trade (their "capspace is theoretical and means they lose Hart, Simons, Nurkic) and Dame+LaVine is a tough roster fit. He's had injury issues his whole career... he will take the biggest bag offered and Chicago should offer it.
Yep. All True.

And if you're Chicago and you're paying Levine that amount while also being committed to "not so young" DeRozan, might as well go all out and get Rudy Gobert.

Chicago's Assets:
Vucevic (expiring $22)
Lonzo (3 years $61.5 left)
Caruso (3 years $29 million left)
Patrick Williams (still on rookie deal)
Coby White (still on rookie deal)
Future 1sts but complicated because they don't have one in 2025

If we were to make a deal like that, we'd definitely have to move some of our other pieces like Mike, Bogey and JC for some defenders because going from Rudy to Vuc would be a major downgrade defensively.
Yeah... I think if you landed Vooch its not like a long term thing. Williams is the prize. Vooch being in a contract year is nice because he's movable or you get some cap relief or space depending on other deals. I'm not a big fan at all... I think he's the type of big that really limits your ceiling and if you have DM and Vooch on the court the other three players likely aren't making up for your defensive issues... but he would be a good offensive contributor... especially if his shot comes back. He's a good passer and can score in the post (you really want an empty post though most of the time).

If you got White you could move JC... I think we move Mike almost no matter what but I could also see moving him to the bench if the offers are bad. I have a feeling Washington would be willing to give us something decent for Mike.

How good the Chicago deal depends on these things:

1- Does Williams take a big leap. He could be pretty great. He could also be more like a Marvin Williams that never really lives up to the draft hype.
2- Can you hit a homerun at #18?
3- Is there something else that gets worked into the deal like Ayo or White and those guys take a big leap?
4- Does Vooch bring something else in a trade or are we able to do something meaningful with some cap space in 2023? Or does he just serve as a rental with major fit issues?

Yeah... I think if you landed Vooch its not like a long term thing. Williams is the prize. Vooch being in a contract year is nice because he's movable or you get some cap relief or space depending on other deals. I'm not a big fan at all... I think he's the type of big that really limits your ceiling and if you have DM and Vooch on the court the other three players likely aren't making up for your defensive issues... but he would be a good offensive contributor... especially if his shot comes back. He's a good passer and can score in the post (you really want an empty post though most of the time).

If you got White you could move JC... I think we move Mike almost no matter what but I could also see moving him to the bench if the offers are bad. I have a feeling Washington would be willing to give us something decent for Mike.

How good the Chicago deal depends on these things:

1- Does Williams take a big leap. He could be pretty great. He could also be more like a Marvin Williams that never really lives up to the draft hype.
2- Can you hit a homerun at #18?
3- Is there something else that gets worked into the deal like Ayo or White and those guys take a big leap?
4- Does Vooch bring something else in a trade or are we able to do something meaningful with some cap space in 2023? Or does he just serve as a rental with major fit issues?
Supposedly Cleveland has interest in Mike Conley. How realistic is it to trade Conley to Cleveland and get #14?

If we had #14 and #18, could we use those two in order to trade for Jerami Grant?

If you did the Chicago deal then moved Mike or JC without taking on future salary then you have a bunch of cap space. Not saying that will be utilized well but you could either tank and use that space to collect assets or you could use it to recruit that second guy Donovan wants (not my goal but seems to be Ryan's).

Supposedly Cleveland has interest in Mike Conley. How realistic is it to trade Conley to Cleveland and get #14?

If we had #14 and #18, could we use those two in order to trade for Jerami Grant?

I seriously doubt the Cavs are giving up the 14th pick for 35 year old Mike Conley.

Vucevic's primary value is as an expiring contract, imo. He could factor into a Gobert trade, but I think a three-team scenario is more likely.

If they did that deal I think Williams is the headliner not Vooch. You are trying to get a guy with potential and can grow with Donovan... it also gives you a guy to help start the rebuild if Donovan asks out... so its kind of splitting the baby a bit between "win-now" and "rebuild".

It would also be dependent on what else we can sneak in. Maybe they won't offer up the pick or Ayo. In that case its less enticing.

I seriously doubt the Cavs are giving up the 14th pick for 35 year old Mike Conley.
Agree... they might have interest... but more along the lines of Levert or a sign and trade for Sexton or something like that... maybe a Love swap.

I don't think the CHI deal is terrible if we must trade Gobert. Williams is a decent prize. I'm not particularly high on him, but I like him a lot more than a 2026 protected first round pick or something along those lines. I'm not high on Coby White, but he's not a bad add in. I would prefer to have #18 instead, but might be rich depending on the deal.

I actually think Vuc's value is down and not a bad time to be a buyer. He is expiring which has value, but I'd actually try to give him a one year extension. My theory is that he has a really good numbers year with the Jazz, Don demands out, and we can trade him with a year left on his deal the following summer. He was just traded for Wendell Carter Jr and two first round picks, the first of which was really good. I don't think he will ever have that value again, but if he's putting up 20/10 again some team will bite. He's more than just an expiring contract IMO.

I'd be interested in seeing if there's interest in adding Conley, Clarkson, Bogey etc. to see if CHI might be willing to part ways with Lonzo. His health situation looks very bad, but that is a risk the Jazz should be more tolerable to than the Bulls in this scenario.

Vucevic's primary value is as an expiring contract, imo. He could factor into a Gobert trade, but I think a three-team scenario is more likely.
I think he's still a good NBA center. He's just a tough fit and a guy that's better for a team trying to win 40 games. I don't know where you'd be able to flip him. He might have more value at the trade deadline for a team that needs a replacement for an injured player or that is looking for cap relief. He could also shoot it better and increase his value during the season.

Also, if CHI is truly interested don't rule out a S&T possibility with Lavine....even if the Jazz are not the team getting Lavine in return.

If they did that deal I think Williams is the headliner not Vooch. You are trying to get a guy with potential and can grow with Donovan... it also gives you a guy to help start the rebuild if Donovan asks out... so its kind of splitting the baby a bit between "win-now" and "rebuild".

It would also be dependent on what else we can sneak in. Maybe they won't offer up the pick or Ayo. In that case its less enticing.

I just think we can do better in a Gobert trade. I like the pieces Toronto, Charlotte, and probably even Atlanta have to offer a lot more than I like Chicago's pieces.

I think he's still a good NBA center. He's just a tough fit and a guy that's better for a team trying to win 40 games. I don't know where you'd be able to flip him. He might have more value at the trade deadline for a team that needs a replacement for an injured player or that is looking for cap relief. He could also shoot it better and increase his value during the season.
If we added a guy like Vuc and then another guy like Plumlee or even Capela or an undersized C with good switching defense, I think we would be fine at C.

Vuc played 33mpg this year scoring 17.6ppg. If we could play him 25-30mpg, we could get some really good basketball out of him.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

I don't think the CHI deal is terrible if we must trade Gobert. Williams is a decent prize. I'm not particularly high on him, but I like him a lot more than a 2026 protected first round pick or something along those lines. I'm not high on Coby White, but he's not a bad add in. I would prefer to have #18 instead, but might be rich depending on the deal.

I actually think Vuc's value is down and not a bad time to be a buyer. He is expiring which has value, but I'd actually try to give him a one year extension. My theory is that he has a really good numbers year with the Jazz, Don demands out, and we can trade him with a year left on his deal the following summer. He was just traded for Wendell Carter Jr and two first round picks, the first of which was really good. I don't think he will ever have that value again, but if he's putting up 20/10 again some team will bite. He's more than just an expiring contract IMO.

I'd be interested in seeing if there's interest in adding Conley, Clarkson, Bogey etc. to see if CHI might be willing to part ways with Lonzo. His health situation looks very bad, but that is a risk the Jazz should be more tolerable to than the Bulls in this scenario.
I don't think White fits their future plans... I think he's an easy add in that scenario. I'd want White and #18 or Ayo if they prefer.

Agree on Vuc but I would not extend him. His bird rights have better value imo. I think with extension rules he'd be anchored to +-20% of his current number. So it'd have to be like 17M-26M range. I think I'd take the wait and see mode and either do a sign and trade with him or re-sign him at the end of the year.

I’m less interested in the potential of Patrick Williams than I am in Ayo already being a good player (would’ve been happy to draft him last year; this organization seems allergic to drafting the exact types of players we need).

Would most prefer to re-route Vuc, get Ayo, ‘23 unprotected (if they even have the pick), #18 this year (or Williams). I honestly don’t think that’s asking too much.