What's new

Preseason Game #2 - Portland @ Utah, 12-21-11, 7pm MST

We're probably going to have a Hekyl and Jyde year, but it's nice to see we can match horrible with the game we had tonight. Defensive rotations were so good that I couldn't believe I was watching the same team. As an Al apologist, though, he has to get better. He was the weak link a lot of the time.

I'm guessing we will witness a lot of being completely terrible on the road, then having flashes of brilliance and mediocrity at home.

Can't say enough about Tinsley, which by extension means I can't say enough about KOC. Loved the way Tinsley threw away that early pass which led to a transition bucket, and then got better and better as the game went on. Not sure how this will all play out, but we've got 3 good PG's on the roster. Great problem to have.

I'm guessing we will witness a lot of being completely terrible on the road, then having flashes of brilliance and mediocrity at home.

With our depth, I'm not sure I think this. Road games this year might be won more with fatigue than experience. But ordinarily, I would agree with you completely.

Kanter really impressed me tonight. He's still a nightmare on help defense, and he made several errors in transition, but when the game shrinks to where he's playing the paint, he plays so big. His talent is obvious. But I'm not sure how much he can really contribute on a nightly basis this season.

I said this last time, but I still think Hayward is more effective as a SG. He benefits from using his size advantage over other SGs plus his ability to handle the ball from further out on the floor. When he matches up against other players his size and plays closer to the paint, he loses a lot of that advantage and gets drawn into a physical battle.

Nothing new, but we have to get much better at blocking out and fighting for the rebound. Kanter does it, Favors does it, but that's about it.

I said this last time, but I still think Hayward is more effective as a SG. He benefits from using his size advantage over other SGs plus his ability to handle the ball from further out on the floor. When he matches up against other players his size and plays closer to the paint, he loses a lot of that advantage and gets drawn into a physical battle.
If he's having a tough time staying in front of SF, having him play at the 2 could be a nightmare.

I'm kind of talking out of my *** here. It just sounded like he was getting blown by and I'm assuming he was playing 3 most of the night.

I feel terrible for Evans because he can play, but he'll struggle to find minutes with us. But having him makes me feel good.

Howard is flat out ready. And by the way, anyone notice we actually posted a 3 tonight? More than once. Like, you can actually do that. It's in the rules and everything. I was so overjoyed to see a 3 post, that I almost missed the idea that Howard posting could be a nice weapon for us.

As much as I love CJ, he probably has to be the 6th man. The second unit just doesn't have the scorers. But I'd really like to see more units with CJ and Hayward. Can't believe we haven't seen that yet. If Ty is playing Bell slash CJ OR Hayward to close halves and games, I will egg his house. Then it will get worse. Ninjas will be involved.

Memo looked pretty good. It's hard to say at this point where he fits in. But he's a major weapon with limited minutes. Our depth at the 4/5 is like nothing I've ever seen.

Totally stupid moment that I really liked. 3rd quarter, Hayward ran a P&R with Favors (I think). He drove and dished it to Harris (I think) for a 3. It was a true wing P&R which gave me faith that Ty really plans to institute this as a part of the offense.

As for Hayward, bad game. But you can see he's still learning when to shoot, drive, pass. The talent is there as was seen on many plays, but he's still finding his way.