What's new

Preseason Game #2 - Portland @ Utah, 12-21-11, 7pm MST

Kanter is money from the foul line. I want to see him attempt some midrange jumpers. I think at one point his defender was giving him 5-8 feet of space. Pull the trigger big man.

If he's having a tough time staying in front of SF, having him play at the 2 could be a nightmare.

I'm kind of talking out of my *** here. It just sounded like he was getting blown by and I'm assuming he was playing 3 most of the night.

He played 3. He guarded Wallace. He did Ok. Not great. I love Hayward, but he's not suited to guard quick 2's. On the flip side, if he could learn an effective stop and pop, he might get away with the defensive liability in that area. He doesn't have that right now.

If he's having a tough time staying in front of SF, having him play at the 2 could be a nightmare.

I'm kind of talking out of my *** here. It just sounded like he was getting blown by and I'm assuming he was playing 3 most of the night.

I don't think he was getting blown by, he was getting caught up in traffic and switches and picked up some cheap fouls.

Kanter is Koufus on the offensive end right now. He is far ahead of Koufus in rebounding, toughness, and man defense though.

Kanter is much better than Koufus on offenwe. He just didn't get very many touches tonight, but that's the great thing about himcause we didnt need him to.

Kanter is ridiculously aggressive, but in a pretty controlled way for being so raw. I think the Jazz have another Kevin Love once he gets some seasoning.

I didn't watch the game but just checked out the box score.

Hayward fouled out in about 15 minutes. Favors got four fouls in less than 20 minutes. Kanter picked up three or four in about the same amount of time. Burks was 0-8 from the field. Ouch for our young guys. The most positive note I saw from the box score was Jefferson's nine rebounds and three assists in only 28 minutes. Not Earth shattering or anything but solid. Am I missing anything of note here from the game other than this and Evans' sick dunk?

The Jazz depth will be both a positive and negative. How is Ty going to keep everyone happy? I think the Jazz depth will help weather the condensed schedule but something has to give. Everyone is talking about the rotations and Millsap hasn't played yet. I guess you go with the hot hand and every night will determine who plays more. Not a bad probable to have. I thought the young guns were getting jobbed by the refs. Many of the calls were just ridiculous. I think the refs were just wanting to blow their new whistles.

I really think a deal will be made as the season goes once playing time is sorted out. Perhaps Bell, Okur or CJ could be candidates. I thought CJ played great in the first half and then disappeared in the second half which is pretty indicative of his career. I think Howard will eventually make CJ expendable.

The defensive rotations were a lot better. The Jazz still need to figure out guarding the corner shot but the guys worked much harder at defending. One thing I have noticed is that Ty and his assistants are doing much more sideline coaching. When guys make mistakes Ty goes over to the player and tells him what he wants him to do. Kudos.

Well..... they one a pre-season game.
So does this mean that people around here are going to quit acting like post 9/11 neo-conservatives with a doomsday scenario?

Kanter is ridiculously aggressive, but in a pretty controlled way for being so raw. I think the Jazz have another Kevin Love once he gets some seasoning.

Thought the same thing, it will be fun to watch them play against each other and see who gets more boards!

Thought the same thing, it will be fun to watch them play against each other and see who gets more boards!

Kanter obviously won't get the minutes to go head-to-head with Love. I think it is also obvious that it will be a couple years before the Jazz run any plays for him. He'll just be asked to rebound every ball and play solid d.

Kanter has a long way to go on the offensive end before he becomes Love. I hope we stop posting him up as much (unless he has some kind of distinct size advantage) and use him more on cuts and mid range jumpers.

I'm getting really excited about Kanter and Burks!

Kanter has enough skills for rebounding and defense to get playing time. Even though he lacks a offensive game he could easily get 6-10pts a game from put backs and freethrows. Not bad fro 19 year old kid who hasn't played real ball in 2 years.

Burks is going to be special. Even though he didn't make crap last night he got to the hole a number of times and handles the ball extreamly well and seems willing to play defense.

This will be a fun seasaon no matter the win total.

I'm getting really excited about Kanter and Burks!

Kanter has enough skills for rebounding and defense to get playing time. Even though he lacks a offensive game he could easily get 6-10pts a game from put backs and freethrows. Not bad fro 19 year old kid who hasn't played real ball in 2 years.

Burks is going to be special. Even though he didn't make crap last night he got to the hole a number of times and handles the ball extreamly well and seems willing to play defense.

This will be a fun seasaon no matter the win total.

I am high on them as well. I am really going to enjoy watching Burks, Kanter, Favors, Hayward and Evans grow together as a team.

My opinion. Kanter doesn't lack an offensive game as much as he;

- has nerves/needs his confidence back
- team doesn't need him to be a scorer

He actually is a scorer and we'll see that within a year .. 2 years before seeing every game.