What's new

Preseason Game #2 - Portland @ Utah, 12-21-11, 7pm MST

Kanter grabbed 15 rebs in ~40 mins of game time.

Thats all great and promising unless you look against whom he did it. Portland did not have a single decent rebounder on their team in those two games. Aldridge who just came back after being treated for heart condition? Johnson who is 210lbs? 49 year old Thomas? Nah........ Lets see how he rebounds vs 10reb/game players.

Thats all great and promising unless you look against whom he did it. Portland did not have a single decent rebounder on their team in those two games. Aldridge who just came back after being treated for heart condition? Johnson who is 210lbs? 49 year old Thomas? Nah........ Lets see how he rebounds vs 10reb/game players.

Um, Gerald Wallace? One of the leagues best rebounders, dude. At least for his position.

Um, Gerald Wallace? One of the leagues best rebounders, dude. At least for his position.

6-7, 220lbs SF...decent rebounder for his position. Not that he was fighting for rebounds vs Kanter though. I should have posted decent rebounding big man - PF/C, my bad.

Camby (played in game 1) and Thomas are old but very good rebounders, your argument is weak.

Are you predicting he won't be a great rebounder? Nevermind, don't care.

Kanter is much better than Koufus on offenwe. .

Koufos just had 15pts, 11reb, 2blk, 1astl,1ast vs Phoenix yesterday. KK was another victim of Sloan's doghouse... kid can play for sure and to call Kanter much better offensive player then Koufos at this point is kind of biased. You should say he may become better then Koufos in the future but now? I do not think so.

Are you predicting he won't be a great rebounder? Nevermind, don't care.

I want to see him rebounding vs NBA's rebounding elite before declaring him next Love. Thats it. For example Boozer used to steal 3-4 rebounds form his own teammates padding his own stats - would you really call him great rebounder even if he averaged over 10? Numbers do not mean everything - just see how Boozer's rebounding numbers shrunk when Jazz played Lakers.

I want to see him rebounding vs NBA's rebounding elite before declaring him next Love. Thats it. For example Boozer used to steal 3-4 rebounds form his own teammates padding his own stats - would you really call him great rebounder even if he averaged over 10? Numbers do not mean everything - just see how Boozer's rebounding numbers shrunk when Jazz played Lakers.

So you're comparing Kanter's rebounding style to Boozer, then.

no, I am not comparing him to Boozer, just giving example where numbers can be deceiving. Sometimes 3 effort rebounds will be more valuable for the team then 5 lazy rebounds ( for example after opponent missing FT, again Boozer was first to snatch them as they were easy and looked good on box score )

no, I am not comparing him to Boozer, just giving example where numbers can be deceiving. Sometimes 3 effort rebounds will be more valuable for the team then 5 lazy rebounds ( for example after opponent missing FT, again Boozer was first to snatch them as they were easy and looked good on box score )

Don't disagree there. However, if there's one thing you can't really complain about Kanter is that he's not looking for the easy rebound. He boxes out like a man and goes hard for every one of them that is remotely gettable.

Talk about his shooting touch, his lack of explosiveness, and that's all fair game, but not ^ ^ ^.

Koufos just had 15pts, 11reb, 2blk, 1astl,1ast vs Phoenix yesterday. KK was another victim of Sloan's doghouse... kid can play for sure and to call Kanter much better offensive player then Koufos at this point is kind of biased. You should say he may become better then Koufos in the future but now? I do not think so.

Koufos was not a victim of Sloan's doghouse. He showed flashes his rookie year, but his second year he lost all confidence in himself. And it wasn't because of minutes. You just couldn't put him on the court. He was a good kid and I'll root for him.

Koufos was not a victim of Sloan's doghouse. He showed flashes his rookie year, but his second year he lost all confidence in himself. And it wasn't because of minutes. You just couldn't put him on the court. He was a good kid and I'll root for him.
Really, BS [fittingly]?

That's funny. After a decent showing in February of his rookie year, Koufos's minutes plummeted to next to zero, despite no precipitous decline beforehand. As I recall, the unjustified benching coincided with Boozer's (or another player's) return from injury, but it was unnecessary to banish Kouf from the court.

While in an ideal world 19-year-olds going pro would be able to keep their focus and motivation (and most importantly skills), it often doesn't work that way. Add in the likely element that--consciously or unconsciously--Koufos lost his confidence, it's no surprise that his performance went down.

Feast-and-famine playing time is simply not the way to develop players, and it is plenty possible to work in minimum minutes for the youngins without sacrificing wins--starting with giving some time to the bench players when the starters/rotation players start to dog it and/or suck wind. Sloan was grossly deficient in that department; hopefully Corbin understands the concept better.

Reactions: MVP
Don't disagree there. However, if there's one thing you can't really complain about Kanter is that he's not looking for the easy rebound. He boxes out like a man and goes hard for every one of them that is remotely gettable.

Talk about his shooting touch, his lack of explosiveness, and that's all fair game, but not ^ ^ ^.

And I am not saying they were lazy rebounds. Thing is - there were not vs Howard, Love, Griffin, Okafor, Lee, Horford, Chandler, Humphries or any other top rebounders. Lets wait, ok?

Last edited:
Kanter has a long way to go on the offensive end before he becomes Love. I hope we stop posting him up as much (unless he has some kind of distinct size advantage) and use him more on cuts and mid range jumpers.
Definitely, though hopefully his Euro performance mirrors his NBA performance, where he just needs some confidence and experience. It sure seems like he has all the tools to be a great offensive player, but I will agree I have no idea if he'll be able to do it. I can already tell that he's going to be a great rebounder in this league though, or at least it sure feels like he'll be one.