What's new

PRIDE Week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t even begin to put myself in your shoes. I wish you and your child the best in this journey.

It is about time.

My child, my only child, is transgender.

It is PRIDE week.

I am PROUD of my child. I LOVE my child.

I will fight and I am willing to die to protect my child's rights.

I served the U.S. Navy for rar less. And I was perfectly willing to die in my service of the U.S. Navy.

I give my life to protect my child. I am willing to sacrifice everything.

I am PROUD of my child.

If you have something to say, say it. I'm right here.

Support! I’ve told my kids that love is love and I’ll love whoever they love. They are both straight but it doesn’t matter either way.

Thanks for sharing this, Bulletproof. Good on you for showing your child the love she deserves.

I would have thought that until it became a reality. I mean my kid is lucky in the sense that my wife and I supported her from the start and have done what we can to support her and get her the outside support she needs. But I could be better. I guess I'm working on it.

There was a guy at work (he doesn't work there anymore) who was asked "What would you do if you found out your son was gay?" and his response was "I'd beat the gay out of him." So yeah, my kid is lucky that POS isn't her dad.

Was the guy serious? Sometimes I/we just say **** in jest.

There was a time I was at the bar with @fishonjazz and he's talking to this guy who's pretty hammered and I think somewhat randomly the guy starts ranting about transgender people. I think he was complaining about the bathroom thing. Fish had no idea my kid was transgender and I just sort of stopped participating in the conversation, but Fish told him it wasn't a big deal, not something to get worked up about and that he's probably been in the bathroom with a transgender person and didn't even realize it, so why should it matter. I really appreciated that. If I had gotten into it with the guy I'm sure I would have been more hostile and it might have ended badly.

Reason 1,274,926 why fish is ****ing awesome.

First, congrats to your daughter for showing the poise to come out. I’m sure it’s a brutally difficult thing with which to grapple. Societal pressures, peer pressure, ignorance, family, hell, even possible personal fears, doubts about what was/is taking place that I know I’d have. So to come out, awesome on her.

Congrats on handling this with grace and love. That’s all you can do. Educate yourself, listen, and support her. While you seem to have alluded to some ways you could have handled it better, no worries. We’re imperfect as people and parents. I’m sure you’re daughter knows your love and support for her is unwavering and that’s what matters.

Having said all that, I have some questions because I myself am not educated on the topic. Like, at all tbh. She was born a male? And then at some point started identifying as a female? At what age? Is this something that she or others would have surgery for and take hormones for? I apologize if I appear to be prying. I’m curious more than anything.

In addition, how did you handle it semi-poorly at first as you’ve mentioned. I could see me doing the same and basically having the mindset that kids are dumb as **** and that they shouldn’t jump to any conclusions about sexuality or identity as it’s such a hormonal, tricky time. Admittedly, there was a time period late in high school and early in college in which I questioned my sexuality. It wasn’t that I craved ****, lol, it has to do with other reasons. I’ll divulge them if people are curious. I guess my point is, again, it’s a tricky time and to come to a definitive conclusion about something so important could be, for lack of a better word, possibly wrong. At least at that point in time.
I feel like one should listen to one’s self but not do anything life altering til maybe 22-23 years old as we are so vulnerable at a younger age. **** can be confusing. That said, if an 18 year old is that sure about something like this, I doubt they’re “wrong” and would feel differently 4-5 years later.

Anyway, you know I think you’re a great dude. You’re highly intelligent and compassionate which are perhaps two of the most important qualities a parent could have in helping raise and support a transgender child. I hope you did not take my comments as doubtful or crossing a line or anything of that nature.

Sitting in the doc office waiting room. Guy next to me, referring to mayor Pete. “We ought to shoot them all. Put them out of their misery”. Not joking. At all. So to all of the people who claim bigotry is dead, eff you.

Sitting in the doc office waiting room. Guy next to me, referring to mayor Pete. “We ought to shoot them all. Put them out of their misery”. Not joking. At all. So to all of the people who claim bigotry is dead, eff you.

Who is Mayor Pete?

Who ever said it was dead?
Legit curious. Anyone here?

Who ever said it was dead?
Legit curious. Anyone here?
I don't think anyone here has. It is a fairly common belief in some circles that equality has been achieved and SJWs just need to shut up about it already *shrug*

I don't think anyone here has. It is a fairly common belief in some circles that equality has been achieved and SJWs just need to shut up about it already *shrug*

I think that a lot of SJWs do need to stfu. But no, we’re not fully equal yet. And I don’t think any society ever truly will be.

I think that a lot of SJWs do need to stfu. But no, we’re not fully equal yet. And I don’t think any society ever truly will be.
Which ones, out of curiosity? I think there are some (especially some young college kids) who take things too far.

Which ones, out of curiosity? I think there are some (especially some young college kids) who take things too far.

Generally those ones. The ones that just go nuts and start screaming and raging at things they disagree with.

For sure. They definitely get my eyes rolling at times, but then I remember what I was like at 19 and cut them a little slack.

I didn’t know a single person like that when I was 19. So I don’t. Tbh, the ones we are talking about probably need 1 good asskicking and then they can get to real dialogue and change/progress.

I didn’t know a single person like that when I was 19. So I don’t. Tbh, the ones we are talking about probably need 1 good asskicking and then they can get to real dialogue and change/progress.
I think a lot of 19 year olds just have an outsized view of their own experiences. I wasn't a crazy liberal nut at nineteen (I was actually pretty conservative, voted for Bush even) but I was far more confident in my beliefs than I had any reason to be.

I also think that their influence is far less than the amount of attention they get.

I have a niece, well, nephew now, who is transgender F2M. Parents started her on hormone therapy basically at the time she hit puberty. Not sure I completely agree with that, but who knows. If my kids came out as gay? I'm sure I'd learn to accept.
Hormone therapy is almost completely reversible. I understand where you're coming from but since it can basically be undone I think it makes sense if it's something the transgender person wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.