What's new

Rayjon Traded to Cleveland for $$$

So why not structure the contracts of Favors, Clarkson and Hughes in a way where we don't have to trade a pick and a young talent to save a measly 100k to avoid the tax?

The Jazz literally pay people to get the numbers right on things like this.

This is a disgrace. One of the worst things I've seen from the Jazz front office. Horrific mismanagement.

The Jazz weren't keeping Rayjon. They don't have a roster spot for him. So they cleared him off their books. The end.

Just when I thought I couldn’t have more contempt for this organization.

So many ways the team could save this money (did Clarkson who had no market above the MLE or Favors who probably never had that a strong market be negotiated with just a little, or could we try to trade someone and take less salary back?) and they just won’t.
Rather than save a million or two on those deals we are gonna go with 13 guys and try to duck the tax by a few thousand dollars?

Or ya could just ****ing move Conley..... or just not use full MLE and sign a minimum backup... there are plenty out there. They just seem to be zig zagging and are all over the place. Gonna put it in ownership.

The Jazz weren't keeping Rayjon. They don't have a roster spot for him. So they cleared him off their books. The end.
They could have released him without giving up a pick and they didn't because someone they paid to count couldn't count and that's idiotic. The end.

So why not structure the contracts of Favors, Clarkson and Hughes in a way where we don't have to trade a pick and a young talent to save a measly 100k to avoid the tax?

This is a disgrace. One of the worst things I've seen from the Jazz front office. Horrific mismanagement.

I agree but you’re massively overreacting. This is a non-story in the grand scheme of things.

All of us look at politics, merit, and finances in our businesses. In my university so many hires and promotions are based on politics or finances rather than merit so I’m not particularly surprised at this news . We will probably never know the real reasoning behind this decision.

Yep. Add Tucker's contract and trade to the number of mistakes just in the last couple years:

- The George Hill rental
- Exum's extension
- Joe's extension ($14 mil next year)
- Bradley's option we picked up
- Jeff Green deal
- Ed Davis' 2nd year guarantee
- #23 for #27 and #38
- Using an asset to dump TB
- Using assets to dump Ed
- The horrific Conley deal when we outbid ourselves

And we are doing all these minor deals to dump salary when we don't know if we will re-sign Rudy. What happens if we need to trade him by the deadline and we can save money to avoid the luxury when we do it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

Jazz org knew they were gonna look bad on this. Thats why they announce it late on a Friday, the day after a holiday and on a football weekend.

Atleast the PR team knows whats up. Accounting and GM need to up their game.

There has to be a follow up move here...it doesn't make sense. They likely paid more money than they will save. My guess is that they are trying to get all the way under the tax, but that would require a trade or cutting 2/3 of Morgan, NWG, and Niang without signing anyone else the rest of the year.

There has to be a follow up move here...it doesn't make sense. They likely paid more money than they will save. My guess is that they are trying to get all the way under the tax, but that would require a trade or cutting 2/3 of Morgan, NWG, and Niang without signing anyone else the rest of the year.
this... somebody gets it. each second round pick is worth nearly a mil in value at least. that is to assume the pick would've ended up somewhere in the 50s. it could be tens of millions of $ we just gave away if the jazz decide to go into rebuild 2-3 seasons from now, which is likely given how old this current roster really is.

and guys keep bringing up how easy it is for us to buy second round picks in the future... that is simply not true.

in both 2016 and 2019 when the jazz needed to buy themselves back into the draft after they traded their pick, we ended up with 4 picks in the late 50s because... we simply couldn't afford picks in the 30s or even 40s.

it feels like yesterday when we bought that late first round pick from Denver to draft rudy, but now i expect the price on picks to only go up even more in the future.

Last edited:
Jazz org knew they were gonna look bad on this. Thats why they announce it late on a Friday, the day after a holiday and on a football weekend.

Maybe, though the contract becoming fully guaranteed in next day or two would have probably played into the timing as well. Hope it wasn’t just accounting and haven’t kept up on how close we are to the tax. If this move did keep us from the tax then it was well worth a future second round pick.

watch that 2027 2nd rd pick become the greatest player of all time, and utah select some bum a pick or 2 ahead of him.

Yep. Add Tucker's contract and trade to the number of mistakes just in the last couple years:

- The George Hill rental
- Exum's extension
- Joe's extension ($14 mil next year)
- Bradley's option we picked up
- Jeff Green deal
- Ed Davis' 2nd year guarantee
- #23 for #27 and #38
- Using an asset to dump TB
- Using assets to dump Ed
- The horrific Conley deal when we outbid ourselves

And we are doing all these minor deals to dump salary when we don't know if we will re-sign Rudy. What happens if we need to trade him by the deadline and we can save money to avoid the luxury when we do it.

If I believed half (or even 1/3) of what you are suggesting is accurate, I would move on to all or even one of the teams that have great front offices. They obviously dont get everything right but this list makes no sense. Very easy to be a GM looking backward. So for you and all those that hate what our FO does, list the front offices that kill it every year. I am really curious who the geniuses work for? Nothing easier and nothing that takes less thought then dumping on everything in retrospect.

At least you didn't go down the absolutely ridiculous path of assessing people who we should have drafted once we are 2-3 years past the draft date. 95% of the teams in the NBA can do that analysis every year. And many of them use us getting Donovan and Rudy where we did as evidence their guys are dumb.

It happened while everyone (who closely monitors the jazz) was waiting and worrying about Rudy’s extension. The silence was broken by this news. Not a particularly good look, if you ask me.

If I believed half (or even 1/3) of what you are suggesting is accurate, I would move on to all or even one of the teams that have great front offices. They obviously dont get everything right but this list makes no sense. Very easy to be a GM looking backward. So for you and all those that hate what our FO does, list the front offices that kill it every year. I am really curious who the geniuses work for? Nothing easier and nothing that takes less thought then dumping on everything in retrospect.

At least you didn't go down the absolutely ridiculous path of assessing people who we should have drafted once we are 2-3 years past the draft date. 95% of the teams in the NBA can do that analysis every year. And many of them use us getting Donovan and Rudy where we did as evidence their guys are dumb.
I don't hate the front office, but as a fan, I do question questionable moves. To me, our front office issues have come down to "unnecessary" moves. Examples:

- Picking up Bradley's option. Why? Who else is paying him $3.5?

- Ed Davis' contract. Why sign Ed to a guaranteed 2nd year AND pay Tony Bradley? Almost $9 million on two limited bigs?

- Extend Joe for $14 million? I absolutely love Joe, but why give him $3 or $4 more than the MLE? What team would ever pay Joe Ingles more than the MLE at the age he will be in 2021-22?

- Was is necessary to send that much for Conley? Who were we bidding against that was ready to send 2 first rounders and 3 valuable players while crushing cap space?

- Was it necessary to include a $340k Tucker buyout when Quin probably wouldn't even play him in the first place?

- Much of the handling of Exum was unnecessary.

- Letting Hayward leave for absolutely nothing was the first of a number of unnecessary moves. Why let it get to that? Why risk that result?

I understand their job is tough, but we make unnecessary moves. We spend unnecessary assets so we have to burn valuable 2nd rounders to atone for unnecessary spending.

It might not be enough. There is a maximum raise in the salaries per year and even if we start at the absolute minimum for 2020 season(minimum that would allow them to hit their contract number), it's possible it's not enough to get under the tax. We might be short like... those 100K or something. Or... it might be a precursor to another move so we don't hit the apron. We don't know yet. It will become clear once the Clarkson and Favors contracts are official.

Last edited:
I think this shows that Ryan Smith has a soft heart. He unloaded these players to teams that might use them and he did it at a cost to the team. He didn't have to do that.