What's new

RealGM reports Jazz interested in Trading for John Collins

According to Jake Fischer, the Hawks offered the Jazz a Collins for Markkanen swap, and the Jazz thankfully weren't interested. They want to keep Markkanen and Clarkson. Fischer says the Jazz's interest in Collins is real but he thinks the likelihood of them actually landing him is low. He also says the Jazz are unsurprisingly trying to move Gay.

Look... here is the deal. Hawks are getting more and more desperate as the big tax bill approaches next year. There have been like 4-5 articles from different rumor mills on JC. Its all coming from them. So yeah anchor his value to Lauri and others if you are eventually selling.

If a deal happens it will likely involve a combo Beasley/Gay and Vando. Hawks can either get expiring contracts from contributors or sell him off for a worse player with a similarly onerous contract and get some draft comp in the process. I can see them selling low at the deadline as it will get harder to offload him just for pure cap space this summer. They have 160M committed to 11 guys next year... the following year they need to extend Okongwu and Murray... they need to offload Collins to balance the books... they won't get the premium they want. I could see SA, Indiana, offering up the flexibility they want but only sending back like Josh Richardson and maybe seconds.

I read the discussion further and he claimed we offered that for JC? Im questioning this guys sources lmao.

Edit:
Or then they are trying to kill JC chatter since they dont want to trade him and people assume he might be available.

Last edited:
I read the discussion further and he claimed we offered that for JC? Im questioning this guys sources lmao.

Edit:
Or then they are trying to kill JC chatter since they dont want to trade him and people assume he might be available.

Hawks fans living in ****ing fantasy land island.
Based on the discussions this offseason with Rudy... Hawks fans and even the local podcasters wildly overvalue their dudes. If the Jazz entered any Lauri/JC centered conversations it was prior to Lauri leveling up. They blowing smoke if they think we offered them straight up for each other... they flat out full of **** if they think we offered a pick with a swap. That deal would have been done already if we offered it.

Someone at Hawksquawk posted last Sunday (way before todays intel):
"From my source from last week: only trade talk that they would confirm is Lauri plus two picks owed from Minnesota for JC. It would replace the firsts we lost in the DJM trade. Source said this deal would give us a straight up stretch four that shoots better than JC but admitted it would be a definite step down on defense."

The others in the board took that seriously, so seems like a credible poster.

If that is really what Hawks asked... I cannot fathom how anyone can trade with that FO if thats their starting point.

That is the funniest thing I’ve seen all year. That is ban worthy bad.

Someone at Hawksquawk posted last Sunday (way before todays intel):
"From my source from last week: only trade talk that they would confirm is Lauri plus two picks owed from Minnesota for JC. It would replace the firsts we lost in the DJM trade. Source said this deal would give us a straight up stretch four that shoots better than JC but admitted it would be a definite step down on defense."

The others in the board took that seriously, so seems like a credible poster.

If that is really what Hawks asked... I cannot fathom how anyone can trade with that FO if thats their starting point.
I just took a look at that thread. That guy is delusional. It is crazy that so many of the posters seem to think he is legit.

I just took a look at that thread. That guy is delusional. It is crazy that so many of the posters seem to think he is legit.
Yeah he even disputed the report that we turned it down and that its still an option + base price for JC.

Yeah he even disputed the report that we turned it down and that its still an option + base price for JC.
It is almost worth paying to get onto there site just to call them idiots for believing that dude. The stupidity coming from that guy is next level.

This thread has been some great laughs the last two pages.

Just the idea of Collins for Lauri straight up was ****ing insanity...but Collins for Lauri and some picks? How delusional can you get?

Those guys are hilarious. They are making the case that Collins is better than Lauri based on career stats. The thing is, who gives a flying **** how Lauri performed in Cleveland or Chicago. He's not there anymore.

That is the funniest thing I’ve seen all year. That is ban worthy bad.
Oh it gets better.

Apparently Danny Ainge, aka Danny Warchest, wanted to trade Lauri and two first round picks for Collins but the Hawks are the ones who balked.

I'd take John Collins as a Vando replacement just to open up the court but they are out of their minds if they think Ainge would consider including Lauri in such a deal. Not to even mention Collins' current contract really takes away most of the value he would have. Teams such as PHX that could use Collins aren't even going to touch that contract. Current John Collins should probably be making $16-18 mil per season but Hawks are currently on the hook for 4/$102 mil and the last year is a player option too.

Collins seems to always pick up quick fouls and sits a lot

The guy which was mentioned on here before that would be an upgrade at centre is Myles Turner , his length , rebounding and ability to hit the 3 would suit

If the lakers were talking about giving up there 2 draft picks and maybe Russ for him and Hield , I wonder what it would take to get them both ?

Vanderbilt, Gay and a first rounder for them both ?