What's new

RealGM reports Jazz interested in Trading for John Collins

Also, you can just take a flyer on a dude who has 4 years left on his contract (last year player option) who is owed 25 million per season. You have to be sure.

Like I'd rather overpay Kuzma next off-season, a guy who I'm pretty sure would fit our offense, over trading for Collins.

It's not like Collins has Lonzo Ball talent level that could truly be a game changer for us.

Right. I see what you’re saying Cy. But I see the jazz interests as more of a flipping a house or flipping a car. It does say the jazz are interested in trading but not why.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

Right. I see what you’re saying Cy. But I see the jazz interests as more of a flipping a house or flipping a car. It does say the jazz are interested in trading but not why.

I only say this, because our offense allows any type of player to come in and do their thing. If the kid can raise his value in under a year and we can turn him for a first rounder or something idk. But like you, I just don’t see any reason the jazz would want to add him to as a permanent fixture.

If FO think Collins is a good fit then so be it. We won all the trades and it has been awesome. Lauri and Sexton and picks for dm, beasley, kessler, vanderbilt and picks for rudy, pat Beverly for THT, Olynyk for bogey and Royce for 1st Rd pick! We are playing 10 guys a night and we are on top. Carry on Lord Danny!

I would consider the following trade:

Clarkson + Gay for Collins straight up.

I think that if there is any one player who doesn't fit the style of basketball we are playing it's Clarkson. He is still a black hole even if he is sharing the ball more. If they want a big, we can add Azibuike to the trade easy enough. I think Beasley's a better fit and a better shooter.

But trading away our top scorer probably makes scoring more difficult for everyone else and so it's not a slam dunk trade by any stretch of the imagination. I think it would be justifiable by giving Clarkson's minutes to Sexton, Beasley, and Ochai. Collins would be taking minutes from KO, Gay, and Clarkson too.

Conley's injury status probably affects this as well.

I would consider the following trade:

Clarkson + Gay for Collins straight up.

I think that if there is any one player who doesn't fit the style of basketball we are playing it's Clarkson. He is still a black hole even if he is sharing the ball more. If they want a big, we can add Azibuike to the trade easy enough. I think Beasley's a better fit and a better shooter.

But trading away our top scorer probably makes scoring more difficult for everyone else and so it's not a slam dunk trade by any stretch of the imagination. I think it would be justifiable by giving Clarkson's minutes to Sexton, Beasley, and Ochai. Collins would be taking minutes from KO, Gay, and Clarkson too.

Conley's injury status probably affects this as well.
How can you be a Jazz fan and suggest trading Jordan Clarkson for John Collins?

Why is this thread still a thing? He is absolutely NOT what we need, not for win-now (does NOT move the needle at all, in fact takes away from Lauri most likely), not for the future team (too expensive for his bad efficiency), and not for the tank (he is good enough we will still win too many games). He would be a direct line to the treadmill no matter how you slice it. Is this just a boredom thing?

That said, I certainly hope the FO isn't seriously considering this kind of move. What a joke.

KO role? Is there any evidence John Collins would play a 100% selfless brand of basketball - doing the little things every team needs, hustling his *** off, moving the ball, not caring about his touches or shots? Because that's who Olynyk is, and that's what we'd be needing, not more scoring near the basket.

You just mentioned all the things KO does and you left out flopping!? The number 1 thing he does.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

You just mentioned all the things KO does and you left out flopping!? The number 1 thing he does.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
I would call it #2. His #1 thing is looking at the refs with a confused clown-face every time he hacks someone. #3 is needlessly throwing the ball away because he thinks he is John Stockton or something making uncatchable passes.

Collins was a very good 3 pt shooter until this season. Of course ATL now has 2 very ball dominated guards.

Right now teams are sagging off Vando big time. You can't really play him near the basket as it just clogs up the paint and his defender can just double team Lauri. Hardy has tried playing him more on the perimeter but opposing defenses don't respect his shot.

Collins was a very good 3 pt shooter until this season. Of course ATL now has 2 very ball dominated guards.

Right now teams are sagging off Vando big time. You can't really play him near the basket as it just clogs up the paint and his defender can just double team Lauri. Hardy has tried playing him more on the perimeter but opposing defenses don't respect his shot.
Agree about Vando, he simply doesn't fit. But then again, as discussed earlier in this thread.... where do you play Collins? He wants out of Atlanta precisely because he doesn't want to sit in the corner, spacing the floor. And he's making way, way too much money to come off the bench.

If Collins takes over the middle and becomes the default screener/roller in the starting lineup, you then have to use Lauri as a floor spacer, and park him away from the action. And that would be insane.

Lauri and Collins simply overlap way too much. Donovan and Garland can (uncomfortably) co-exist in the Cavs starting lineup because they take turns, but that doesn't work for non-ballhandlers, and I don't want to see that brand of basketball here anyway.

Last edited:
Agree about Vando, he simply doesn't fit. But then again, as discussed earlier in this thread.... where do you play Collins? He wants out of Atlanta precisely because he doesn't want to sit in the corner, spacing the floor. And he's making way, way too much money to come off the bench.

If Collins takes over the middle and becomes the default screener/roller in the starting lineup, you then have to use Lauri as a floor spacer, and park him away from the action. And that would be insane.

Lauri and Collins simply overlap way too much. Donovan and Garland can (uncomfortably) co-exist in the Cavs starting lineup because they take turns, but that doesn't work for non-ballhandlers, and I don't want to see that brand of basketball here anyway.
I mean Collins gets as many frontcourt touches per game as Vando does and he plays like 8 more minutes per game. KO gets more touches than Lauri. We do a whole lot more passing than Atlanta does... they are the lowest in the league in passes per game.

Lauri scores in a variety of ways and if you take all the DHO's that Vando gets and replace him with JC I think you become a bit more dynamic offensively. If there is a ton of overlap between him and Lauri then that is good... I want to overlap the **** out of great players. Lauri also sits for 14 minutes a night and you could stagger the two a bit if you really needed to... I don't think you do.

Our pick and roll isn't really working... Collins could help fix that and I think Lauri diving on those plays could be deadly. Lauri is really diverse in how he is getting his buckets and if we really wanted to you allocate some of KO's touches to Collins and make Kelly the spot up guy.

There are reasons not to do a Collins trade. Fit with Lauri is not real high on that list imo. I think they could work. I watched John a bit last night... he makes good rotations and helps at the rim. He might be able to help solve some of our defensive issues. I think you can run Collins/Lauri at the 4/5 for stretches as well and it might be absolutely deadly.

I'm firmly in the middle on pursuing this trade.

I mean Collins gets as many frontcourt touches per game as Vando does and he plays like 8 more minutes per game. KO gets more touches than Lauri. We do a whole lot more passing than Atlanta does... they are the lowest in the league in passes per game.

Lauri scores in a variety of ways and if you take all the DHO's that Vando gets and replace him with JC I think you become a bit more dynamic offensively. If there is a ton of overlap between him and Lauri then that is good... I want to overlap the **** out of great players. Lauri also sits for 14 minutes a night and you could stagger the two a bit if you really needed to... I don't think you do.

Our pick and roll isn't really working... Collins could help fix that and I think Lauri diving on those plays could be deadly. Lauri is really diverse in how he is getting his buckets and if we really wanted to you allocate some of KO's touches to Collins and make Kelly the spot up guy.

There are reasons not to do a Collins trade. Fit with Lauri is not real high on that list imo. I think they could work. I watched John a bit last night... he makes good rotations and helps at the rim. He might be able to help solve some of our defensive issues. I think you can run Collins/Lauri at the 4/5 for stretches as well and it might be absolutely deadly.

I'm firmly in the middle on pursuing this trade.

Well said.

All comes down to cost. If its a low price then its probably a risk worth taking, its a high price there are better options out there. Anyone out right dismissing this is being incredibly ignorant, having concerns is valid but no one can say with complete certainty that it couldn't work.