What's new

Report: #5, Favors, Burks for Cavs' #1 pick

Yay or Nay?

• Yay

Votes: 68 56.7%
  • Nay

Votes: 52 43.3%

• Total voters
From what I read the amount that is considered for trade is the average of the salary he is currently making + the salaries he will earn for his new contract. So $49M + $6M = $55m/5 years = $11M. If you have a different link showing an alternate interpretation, I'd love to see it.

Yes, that is his outgoing salary. His incoming salary is still this years salary, though. See this link, for example: https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2012/05/poison-pill-provision.html

"For salary purposes, if a player is traded between extending his rookie contract and the extension taking effect, the player's trade value for the receiving team is the average of his current salary and the annual salary in each year of his extension."

https://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q89

"If this player is traded during the 2011-12 season, then his outgoing salary from the sending team's perspective is his actual salary -- $2 million. But the player's incoming salary from the receiving team's perspective is $8.94 million -- the average of all five seasons. Such a player would be very difficult to trade -- a legal trade can only be accomplished if both teams add additional salary to the transaction, or if they include a third team that is able to absorb excess salary."

PM received.

Numb's source IS Rigby.

oprah02.gif

Yes, that is his outgoing salary. His incoming salary is still this years salary, though. See this link, for example: https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2012/05/poison-pill-provision.html

"For salary purposes, if a player is traded between extending his rookie contract and the extension taking effect, the player's trade value for the receiving team is the average of his current salary and the annual salary in each year of his extension."
Gotcha. And remind me to rep you when I'm able.
So the deal is likely one that waits until July 10th to be completed based on the fact neither team has the cap room to make an uneven trade. Then Favors' contract value is $12M, so Cleveland renounces Hawes. Hawes is an UFA so it really doesn't matter if they have him on their books or not. There's no advantage in terms of the contract they'd be able/willing to offer him.

Ugh, out of the Core 4 or 5 or whatever, this is the trade I would hate the most. Would absolutely hate it the most. The two guys I least want to see the Jazz move are Burks and Favors.

I'd still do the trade though. It could end up being a terrible one where the Jazz gave up too much, but I want to see the Jazz swing for the fences for once.

Gotcha. And remind me to rep you when I'm able.
So the deal is likely one that waits until July 10th to be completed based on the fact neither team has the cap room to make an uneven trade. Then Favors' contract value is $12M, so Cleveland renounces Hawes. Hawes is an UFA so it really doesn't matter if they have him on their books or not. There's no advantage in terms of the contract they'd be able/willing to offer him.

Either that or we get back Waiters/Thompson/Bennett or some combo of lesser players. That actually makes a lot of sense if we`re actually giving up both Favors and Burks.

Wow...Favors AND Burks. Our two best and most promising players. This is tough. I know we need to swing for the fences, but I'd rather we throw in a 2015 first rounder instead of Burks.

I'd rather see them do almost anything to throw both those players in the deal, but a chance at a talent like Wiggins is too good to pass up IMO.

Now I get those who disagree. Frankly I find it hard to argue against not doing the deal, just a difference of philosophies I guess.

Ugh, out of the Core 4 or 5 or whatever, this is the trade I would hate the most. Would absolutely hate it the most. The two guys I least want to see the Jazz move are Burks and Favors.

I'd still do the trade though. It could end up being a terrible one where the Jazz gave up too much, but I want to see the Jazz swing for the fences for once.

This is one of the worst myths perpetuated about the Jazz. We have absolutely been a swing for the fences organization the last 5 or so years.

I bet Gordon Hayward is getting really frustrated about this deal. If it goes through, there is just no way that we`re letting him go. With Favors and Burks gone, we`d only have to worry about extending Hayward, Kanter and Burke before our #1 pick this year is up for an extension.

This is one of the worst myths perpetuated about the Jazz. We have absolutely been a swing for the fences organization the last 5 or so years.

The Jefferson trade, yes. Selecting Kanter and Burks, yes. Going after Trey and Gobert, yes.

The Corbin hire, absolutely not.
Keeping Big Al (and Millsap) through the end of his contract, absolutely not.
Treading water for 2.5 years, absolutely not.

Either that or we get back Waiters/Thompson/Bennett or some combo of lesser players. That actually makes a lot of sense if we`re actually giving up both Favors and Burks.
Wiggins makes Burks expendable. I wouldn't mind Bennett, Give him to Quin and let him work his magic like he did with DeMarre. Jack immediately upgrades the PG rotation.
Just leaves us thin at the 5. Guess we'd be "all in" with Gobert and Tomic. Anyone interested in Asik?

Ok, point taken. Perhaps it should be phrased differently. I want to see the Jazz have a shot at a consensus elite player for once. The last time they did was for Deron, but Wiggins would be the most highly regarded player ever drafted by the Jazz. Perhaps not the best (hard to get much better than Malone/Stockton), but the talent/athleticism combo that he possesses is phenomenal.