What's new

Report: Bynum for Jefferson?

I don't get why Cleveland wouldn't just cut him themselves. What do they really gain by trading him for Jefferson? Seems like a waist of time for them.

I don't get why Cleveland wouldn't just cut him themselves. What do they really gain by trading him for Jefferson? Seems like a waist of time for them.

Never count the teeth of a donated horse.

Agreed. Wouldn't be surprised if Cleveland leaked this to get Lakers to budge on Gasol talks.

Cleveland seems better off cutting Bynum and keeping draft picks than trying to get Gasol.

Cleveland seems better off cutting Bynum and keeping draft picks than trying to get Gasol.

Seems like Cleveland desperately wants to make the playoffs this year. I think they feel like they have enough pieces there to be a decent team.

How close are they to the salary cap floor? It could be that they need the salary, but don't want to take any contract past an expiring deal to do it.

Seems like Cleveland desperately wants to make the playoffs this year. I think they feel like they have enough pieces there to be a decent team.

Also don't forget - if they want to lure LeBron back to Cleveland, they have to show him this year that they're a legit team with 1 piece away from contending.

Now they are saying the reason Utah would do it is approximately 4 million dollars in savings.

Just had a nightmare of a thought after talking about assets. Are the jazz trying to get cj miles back

That just happened.

Now they are saying the reason Utah would do it is approximately 4 million dollars in savings.

Exactly. The Jazz would waive Bynum and his non guaranteed contract, thus not paying Jefferson salary for the remainder of the season (which is about 4-5 million). It is unlikely the Jazz will get a pick or young player for Jefferson.

Bigger picture bro, allows young guys to develop more with more playing time and most important the tank rolls on, closer to a top 3 pick in this year's draft.

So if the Jazz did RJ-Bynum, waived Bynum, Harris & Clark, they have close to 8M in room. Now they can trade, say, Marv for 15.5M + assets.

Hey hotnikkk, you forgot to link to the Spanish play by play guy's tweet that you just copied here: https://twitter.com/Jazz1600AM/status/419285587275702272

In any case, is that even accurate? How can they trade Marv for 15.5M? I thought you couldn't combine a trade exception WITH a player (which is where I'm assuming they get the $15.5M number) as the same trade? I guess they could trade a pick+trade exception for a player and then trade Marvin for another player of equal salary, but they can't take ONE salary of up to $15.5M, right? It would have to be two separate players making ~$8M or less each?

Exactly. The Jazz would waive Bynum and his non guaranteed contract, thus not paying Jefferson salary for the remainder of the season (which is about 4-5 million). It is unlikely the Jazz will get a pick or young player for Jefferson.

I think even their second rounder this year (do they still own it?) would be dynamite as it should be low 30s.

RJ would instantly become Cleveland's best 3pt shooter. So if they can get something for Andrew Dumpsterfire in the process it's good for them. Just depends on how much they are willing to pay for the opportunity.