What's new

Report: Bynum for Jefferson?

https://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=l8nmwll

Of course this should include draft picks that are advantageous to the Jazz.
Why Cavs do this - kick out Bynum, get SF
Why Lakers do this - salary dump, get PG hahaha and anybody to plug in
Why Jazz do this - draft picks, Gasol's salary same as RJ and AB so ... Marv slides back to 3, etc etc I don't think anything will change

https://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=l8nmwll

Of course this should include draft picks that are advantageous to the Jazz.
Why Cavs do this - kick out Bynum, get SF
Why Lakers do this - salary dump, get PG hahaha and anybody to plug in
Why Jazz do this - draft picks, Gasol's salary same as RJ and AB so ... Marv slides back to 3, etc etc I don't think anything will change
Please no. Gasol would give us wins in a season that we don't need them and cost both Favors and Kanter valuable time on the floor.

Gasol giving Jazz wins - maybe.
But on valuable time there'll be not much difference with what's going on right now.

How about this - a more absurd trade but ...
https://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mn62y4q
Again draft picks advantageous to the Jazz
Why Cavs - Get rid of Bynum then get a C and SF
Why Lakers - Get a PG and good player in ZR
Why Memphis - reunite Gasol bros and RJ is probably a wash with Prince, don't care :)
Why Jazz - salary dump and get CJ back - hey you want Jazz to tank right?

Hey hotnikkk, you forgot to link to the Spanish play by play guy's tweet that you just copied here: https://twitter.com/Jazz1600AM/status/419285587275702272

In any case, is that even accurate? How can they trade Marv for 15.5M? I thought you couldn't combine a trade exception WITH a player (which is where I'm assuming they get the $15.5M number) as the same trade? I guess they could trade a pick+trade exception for a player and then trade Marvin for another player of equal salary, but they can't take ONE salary of up to $15.5M, right? It would have to be two separate players making ~$8M or less each?

You can combine a player and a draft exception within the same trade. But you can't combine it for the same player. Marvin's cap number is $9M. The remaining $8M capspace used to create a trade exception must be within +-100k of the player you try to acquire with it. So Marvin's number would have to match The cap number of a combination of players must not be worth more than $11.35M.(I'm too lazy the calculate the lower ceiling). The $8M trade exception may be used for a player worth max $8.1M. So as you suggested you can't combine a TPE and a player to make salaries match, and you can't combine multiple TPEs as this would allow TPE munching. You'd have to split your TPE into multiple smaller ones if I'm not mistaken that fit to the salary of the player you acquire with it.
That's how I understood it reading cbafaq.com(point 86) POints 81 through 83 are more specific but I'm too tired to read.
However, if that team has a $5 million player and a $1 million trade exception from a previous trade, it cannot add the trade exception to the 125% plus $100,000 margin from their $5 million player ($6.35 million), in order to trade for a player making $7 million. This cannot be done, as it would invoke using two exceptions on the same player.
That's the exact spelling from cbafaq.com

I personally would be thrilled to save money to waive Bynum. It's not only the $5M in cap space that you win, it's also that you pay him only 1 day of salary while not paying half of Jefferson's. That would leave the option to absorb a smaller longer contract at the trade deadline together with assets. I heard Boston might look into giving away their pick in the 18 to 22 they probably get from Atlanta while giving away one iof their 3 year contracts in combination with Kris Kardashian for Marvin or Andris.

How do these rumors get started?
These writers have to be getting names from reliable sources.

Cleveland is probably using us to try and pressure another deal to happen. So they put out a fake rumor to make it seem like said team is running out of time to get bynum.

This is what is usually happening when the report originates out of ESPN.

Or it could come from Bynum's agent trying to create a market for him.

Cleveland leaks trade info every year. They stay pretty quiet about the draft, but trade leaks seem like standard procedure.

They did it with their big Brazilian last year, and he stayed with the team.

The cavs have a good accomplice in the local media. https://mobile.twitter.com/SamAmicoFSO

He likes to create trade speculation, but otherwise a good writer.

Gasol giving Jazz wins - maybe.
But on valuable time there'll be not much difference with what's going on right now.

How about this - a more absurd trade but ...
https://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mn62y4q
Again draft picks advantageous to the Jazz
Why Cavs - Get rid of Bynum then get a C and SF
Why Lakers - Get a PG and good player in ZR
Why Memphis - reunite Gasol bros and RJ is probably a wash with Prince, don't care :)
Why Jazz - salary dump and get CJ back - hey you want Jazz to tank right?
The proposal is interesting, but you don't honestly think that acquiring Lucas would factor into the Lakers motivation to do this, do you?

Cleveland is probably using us to try and pressure another deal to happen. So they put out a fake rumor to make it seem like said team is running out of time to get bynum.

This is what is usually happening when the report originates out of ESPN.

Or it could come from Bynum's agent trying to create a market for him.
This could in fact be true. But that doesn't change the fact that they may end up being the only team with an offer on the table when push comes to shove.

Utah is normally tight lipped, but this is DL not KOC and they have good reason to let this trade idea leak out to test the waters on Jefferson's value. It's not like Jefferson wouldn't love a trade to a better home, or any secret that the Jazz wouldn't sell him to the highest bidder.

Here's from ESPN Rumor page:

The Cleveland Cavaliers are still working the phones to move Andrew Bynum by Tuesday's deadline and a deal with the Los Angeles Lakers looks highly unlikely.

"We're further apart than ever," a source tells ESPNLosAngeles.com's Ramona Shelburne.

With that in mind, Cleveland is also talking to the Utah Jazz about a deal which would see small forward Richard Jefferson going to the Cavs for Bynum's partially guaranteed ($6 million) contract. The Cavs a desperate to improve their small forward position, which is why Jefferson is has been mentioned as a possible acquisition.

According to the The Plain Dealer, Jefferson to the Cavs is unlikely.

"Nothing is happening, especially RJ," a source said.

Should the Cavs not trade Bynum by Tuesday they will either waive him or allow his $12.25 million salary to become fully guaranteed, with the plan to try to deal him around the deadline on Feb. 20.