What's new

Report: Dame plans to request a trade in coming days

I really do think the league needs to address this idea if players demanding trades or buyouts with multiple years left on a contract. I’m all for player empowerment and understand that teams can (mostly) trade a player at any time, but this is getting to the point where it defeats the point of a contract. Players get guaranteed money but teams to not get the guaranteed player.

It is clear the “super max” did not accomplish its intent so I do hope they remove that from future CBAs. I
Rules I would install in the NBA -

Draft should be 3 rounds: use an expanded draft to enhance the GLeague.

Buyout players: a team that signs a bought out player loses a 2nd rounder to the team that bought the player out.

Players who demand trades lose a portion of their salary. If you want to leave, your contract stays as the same hit to your new team, but you don't make as much at your new team. Maybe that extra money goes to charity, basketball initiatives elsewhere, etc. I'd say 5%.

Also, teams that trade for a max player should have some sort of draft penalty. Not sure what that would be.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

Oh, I'm just throwing stuff out there. I don't think we really have a realistic shot. We could get involved as a 3rd team getting something else, but I just don't see us getting Dame in any scenario. He would literally have to come out and say he wants to play for us. I don't see that happening.

And really, I don't see Dame and Don being a great pairing unless we brought Covington with Dame and got more perimeter defending.
Agreed - Dame and Don dont make sense together IMO. The only way you go after this is if you decided to do Donny for Dame and I doubt that is even considered.

Rules I would install in the NBA -

Draft should be 3 rounds: use an expanded draft to enhance the GLeague.

Buyout players: a team that signs a bought out player loses a 2nd rounder to the team that bought the player out.

Players who demand trades lose a portion of their salary. If you want to leave, your contract stays as the same hit to your new team, but you don't make as much at your new team. Maybe that extra money goes to charity, basketball initiatives elsewhere, etc. I'd say 5%.

Also, teams that trade for a max player should have some sort of draft penalty. Not sure what that would be.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app
I think you could almost fix it with just a draft component. Something like the disadvantaged team has the right to swap any and all picks for the next 5 seasons and they get 3 first round outright. So for 8 seasons the draft of the Lakers...uh I mean the team that essentially "stole" the player that forced their way out has great draft uncertainty for the next 8 seasons.

I think you could almost fix it with just a draft component. Something like the disadvantaged team has the right to swap any and all picks for the next 5 seasons and they get 3 first round outright. So for 8 seasons the draft of the Lakers...uh I mean the team that essentially "stole" the player that forced their way out has great draft uncertainty for the next 8 seasons.
They won't ever go that punitive because teams wouldn't trade for players anymore. And in the era of player power, the NBPA would never sign off on that.

There just needs to be some kind of penalty for demanding a trade for both sides.

In the soccer world, when a player hands in a "transfer request", they actually lose money in the process. They stand to lose incentives and parts of bonuses given. So if they want to leave that badly, they make sacrifices. The NBA needs something like this. If Dame makes a trade "demand", he should lose something in the process instead of just getting everything he wants.

They won't ever go that punitive because teams wouldn't trade for players anymore. And in the era of player power, the NBPA would never sign off on that.

There just needs to be some kind of penalty for demanding a trade for both sides.

In the soccer world, when a player hands in a "transfer request", they actually lose money in the process. They stand to lose incentives and parts of bonuses given. So if they want to leave that badly, they make sacrifices. The NBA needs something like this. If Dame makes a trade "demand", he should lose something in the process instead of just getting everything he wants.
No set it up to only hit when a max player forces their way out.

Not a good thing for the league/small markets that Dame is doing this. For multiple reasons. Dame was kinda the face of loyalty. He also has a 5 year super max he just signed a couple years ago on the books. For teams like the Blazers and Jazz contracts have to mean something and I hope the league/owners push extremely hard to address some of this garbage of contracts being meaningless. One fix on super maxes I’ve heard is, make it 35% of the money, but only 30% of your cap, and put in it that if a player signs it they can’t be traded for the first 2 years of the contract. This is getting a bit ridiculous at this point. If Dame will do it, anyone will do it. Giannis is literally the only one. PS, I’m still open to trading our guy for him.

I guess Nikola Jokic not a franchise player who said he wants to be the Duncan of Denver. Face truth fellas, the international players have more respect for the teams that draft them.

Good luck telling NBA players they will have to pay to ask for a trade and they will call it racist.
Watching Bucks I'm tired of these American players,and I'm die hard American. The sun's the whole team is whining 24/7 while Giannis plays and One suns player who doesn't cry is Ayton and non American.i would say build a team around international players but Utah having Wade signing on that won't happen but that's route I would take. They are more skilled, more Loyal, not all about Me me me

In all honesty what else is Dame supposed to do. He has given them 9 solid years of amazing play. They have not done **** to help him. They literally have the a slight variation of the same team every year.

Nuggets got Jokic and Murray both from outside USA and both are different breed type dudes who like to lay low in back and then porter Jr who they about to give a raise too family has purchased houses in Denver, brother has committed to DU, and his family took yearly vacations to Colorado so they have deep connections so Utah needs to draft international and Local kids or kids who has family in Utah. Time to stop caving in for the players and take the power back . These NBA players are the absolute worst with demanding trades after they sign big deals in first place. Don't want to be at a place then sign a a two year deal and live up to it. These players are turning me back into college fan..BYU building something special rn

I would trade Don for Dame. I think Don is going to be hurt every year. And I think Dame is far superior at the pick and roll and lob pass. He works way better with Rudy.

In all honesty what else is Dame supposed to do. He has given them 9 solid years of amazing play. They have not done **** to help him. They literally have the a slight variation of the same team every year.
They have not given him any help? Dude doesn't help his case either with his matador defense. He worst defensive guard I have ever seen..watch him play defense. . See you just have that spoiled self entitled attitude that' it's all on Portland and none on Dame. None as him the leader and btw what makes Dame think he more special then the next star? As I see it only one team wins every year and a the rest didn't so he always a playoff teams that's a Barkley type career..no shame in that and infact I give more credit to someone like that then a punk like Harden who throws team under bus and says look at me all the time I'm great

I would trade Don for Dame. I think Don is going to be hurt every year. And I think Dame is far superior at the pick and roll and lob pass. He works way better with Rudy.
That be nasty and Rudy can cover up Dame awful defense and Portland would do this trade most likely too.

They have not given him any help? Dude doesn't help his case either with his matador defense. He worst defensive guard I have ever seen..watch him play defense. . See you just have that spoiled self entitled attitude that' it's all on Portland and none on Dame. None as him the leader and btw what makes Dame think he more special then the next star? As I see it only one team wins every year and a the rest didn't so he always a playoff teams that's a Barkley type career..no shame in that and infact I give more credit to someone like that then a punk like Harden who throws team under bus and says look at me all the time I'm great

You have **** takes. What help has he been given? McCollum and Nurkic? Lolz.

Nuggets got Jokic and Murray both from outside USA and both are different breed type dudes who like to lay low in back and then porter Jr who they about to give a raise too family has purchased houses in Denver, brother has committed to DU, and his family took yearly vacations to Colorado so they have deep connections so Utah needs to draft international and Local kids or kids who has family in Utah. Time to stop caving in for the players and take the power back . These NBA players are the absolute worst with demanding trades after they sign big deals in first place. Don't want to be at a place then sign a a two year deal and live up to it. These players are turning me back into college fan..BYU building something special rn
New account, different sides of arguments, but same schtick.