What's new

Reverse Pet Peeves

We haven't had a post here in a while so I will throw one out there.

By Wednesday of this week, I should be a grandpa for the 2nd time! My daughter was due yesterday, and if she hasn't gotten things going by tomorrow, they are going to start her on Tuesday. It is a baby boy! Our first grandkid was a girl, she is 8 now. Excited to add a boy to the mix. My daughter and SIL have been married for close to 6 years now, so it is kind of a miracle baby since they have had fertility issues. Just happened. They are thrilled, and of course scared *****ess, as they should be. We talked last night for an hour, and we told her all of our horror stories about child birth, like our first baby came after nearly 48 hours of labor, when he got lodged kind of in her hip and they had to do an emergency C-section. That was horrible. Mostly for me, she was drugged to the moon. Our last baby was a case of stealth-labor. She was having contractions, but they were very irregular, over a period of maybe 48 hours. Finally she said she was feeling some real pressure in her lower abdomen. We went to the hospital and they got her in a room and checked, and she was already dilated to about a 7. So far enough along that they couldn't do an epidural as it could stall the delivery. So she went from emergency surgery on the first to a mostly natural delivery on the last. All across the board.

Anyway we are really excited. We are coming to Utah on Wednesday after I get off work, and will be there through Sunday when we come back to Cali.

By Wednesday of this week, I should be a grandpa for the 2nd time! My daughter was due yesterday, and if she hasn't gotten things going by tomorrow, they are going to start her on Tuesday. It is a baby boy! Our first grandkid was a girl, she is 8 now. Excited to add a boy to the mix. My daughter and SIL have been married for close to 6 years now, so it is kind of a miracle baby since they have had fertility issues. Just happened. They are thrilled, and of course scared *****ess, as they should be. We talked last night for an hour, and we told her all of our horror stories about child birth, like our first baby came after nearly 48 hours of labor, when he got lodged kind of in her hip and they had to do an emergency C-section. That was horrible. Mostly for me, she was drugged to the moon. Our last baby was a case of stealth-labor. She was having contractions, but they were very irregular, over a period of maybe 48 hours. Finally she said she was feeling some real pressure in her lower abdomen. We went to the hospital and they got her in a room and checked, and she was already dilated to about a 7. So far enough along that they couldn't do an epidural as it could stall the delivery. So she went from emergency surgery on the first to a mostly natural delivery on the last. All across the board.

Anyway we are really excited. We are coming to Utah on Wednesday after I get off work, and will be there through Sunday when we come back to Cali.
Congrats, Grandpa!

Sent from my SM-A426U using JazzFanz mobile app

The baby's here! Delivered c-section early this morning. Hospital in Provo. 8 lb 2 oz. He's actually cute! Whereas imo most newborns, even my own, are generally wrinkled ugly little things.

I've been meaning to post this one for a while now.

The closest fast food place to my house is a Carl's Jr. It's like 2.5 blocks away. That's not really super important but I felt like mentioning it.

At times when I've been out in the morning and feeling like I need something to eat before 10am I really don't like my options. I'll have the occasional Sausage McMuffin from McDonald's but once every other week is enough to keep me from wanting to go back. Well, Carl's Jr. will make any of their menu items even during breakfast hours. I like their spicy chicken sandwich, have for a long time. This is not a Popeye's type sandwich with breaded chicken breast, it's a processed meat patty that has a basic spicy breading on a bun with mayo and lettuce. It used to be on their dollar menu. Recently the price went up to like $4 for just the sandwich so I was like I guess I'm done with that ****. Anyway, they are running a 2 for $5 deal on the sandwich and so I pulled my favorite move of all time at any fast food place. Well before 10am I order the spicy chicken sandwich, but this time two because of the deal, it's either one for $4 or two for $5, so yeah. As usual they tell me that I need to pull around to the side because they need to cook it as they don't have any ready. THIS IS THE KEY!!! About 3min later they bring out the absolutely most delicious spicy chicken sandwich you could ever ****ing imagine. You absolutely MUST eat it right away. This thing is hot and juicy and 10x better than some rando Carl's Jr. spicy chicken you'd get at 2pm. The patty is steaming hot. It is amazing.

Anyway, that's it. Carl's Jr. spicy chicken sandwich made fresh during their breakfast hours. Doesn't hurt that the lady usually working has like a big crush on me and probably tells the cooks to make it extra good when I come through.

I've been meaning to post this one for a while now.

The closest fast food place to my house is a Carl's Jr. It's like 2.5 blocks away. That's not really super important but I felt like mentioning it.

At times when I've been out in the morning and feeling like I need something to eat before 10am I really don't like my options. I'll have the occasional Sausage McMuffin from McDonald's but once every other week is enough to keep me from wanting to go back. Well, Carl's Jr. will make any of their menu items even during breakfast hours. I like their spicy chicken sandwich, have for a long time. This is not a Popeye's type sandwich with breaded chicken breast, it's a processed meat patty that has a basic spicy breading on a bun with mayo and lettuce. It used to be on their dollar menu. Recently the price went up to like $4 for just the sandwich so I was like I guess I'm done with that ****. Anyway, they are running a 2 for $5 deal on the sandwich and so I pulled my favorite move of all time at any fast food place. Well before 10am I order the spicy chicken sandwich, but this time two because of the deal, it's either one for $4 or two for $5, so yeah. As usual they tell me that I need to pull around to the side because they need to cook it as they don't have any ready. THIS IS THE KEY!!! About 3min later they bring out the absolutely most delicious spicy chicken sandwich you could ever ****ing imagine. You absolutely MUST eat it right away. This thing is hot and juicy and 10x better than some rando Carl's Jr. spicy chicken you'd get at 2pm. The patty is steaming hot. It is amazing.

Anyway, that's it. Carl's Jr. spicy chicken sandwich made fresh during their breakfast hours. Doesn't hurt that the lady usually working has like a big crush on me and probably tells the cooks to make it extra good when I come through.
I like their breakfast burger and I love their hashbrown tater tot disk things.

Celebrating my 23rd anniversary and had a great weekend!

Went to Wiseguys SLC tonight and saw Adam Friedland. I've been to a few dozen comedy shows over the last several years and this was absolutely top 3! Most comedians do a little bit about the place they're at but his **** about hot Mormon moms and their gay husbands had both my wife and me crying hard while laughing uncontrollably. So good!

Also went to a Yelp! Elite Event at Taco Taco and it was great. The guy who owns Water Witch just bought Taco Taco and they had a free pour self-serve jug of margarita and they were not shy with the Tequila. Pre-gamed the comedy show with free drinks!

Celebrating my 23rd anniversary and had a great weekend!

Went to Wiseguys SLC tonight and saw Adam Friedland. I've been to a few dozen comedy shows over the last several years and this was absolutely top 3! Most comedians do a little bit about the place they're at but his **** about hot Mormon moms and their gay husbands had both my wife and me crying hard while laughing uncontrollably. So good!

Also went to a Yelp! Elite Event at Taco Taco and it was great. The guy who owns Water Witch just bought Taco Taco and they had a free pour self-serve jug of margarita and they were not shy with the Tequila. Pre-gamed the comedy show with free drinks!

That sounds so fun!

Hope I’m right but a contractor who does really good work and isn’t expensive as hell.

Was referred a guy (who isn’t licensed) from my basement/mold guy. Background info: the basement/mold guy has a Princeton vibe to him. Smart but also honest. His wife is a partner for PWC. So he told me that this contractor built a whole new room for him above his garage. Framed it out, sheet rocked, windows, electrical, painted, flooring. Did it all and said his insanely particular wife was thrilled with the job he did. He sent me a video of that and of a bathroom the guy did. Both looked amazing.

So I needed him because we have mold on the ceiling in our bathroom. He’s gonna cut out 3’x3’ in one spot and about 1’x2’ in another, put new sheet rock (dry wall whatever) up, tape, spackle, sand, and then repaint that bathroom (it’s small, 6’x7’) both walls and ceiling AND paint our connecting 15’x14’ bathroom walls and ceiling for a combined $900.

That’s crazy cheap. It’s cash only so the guy is saving some obviously. Plus he doesn’t have to pay insurance or anything like that for his helper too. But still.

Hopefully I’m not getting too excited and the guy doesn’t suck. But I told him if he does a really good job, I’d pay him more (thinking $1,100-$1,200 or so) and that we are going to also want to paint one more room upstairs and all of downstairs as well fairly soon…wanted to sort of incentivize it…honestly, usually around here, this job would be like $3,000. Maybe more.

Hope I’m right but a contractor who does really good work and isn’t expensive as hell.

Was referred a guy (who isn’t licensed) from my basement/mold guy. Background info: the basement/mold guy has a Princeton vibe to him. Smart but also honest. His wife is a partner for PWC. So he told me that this contractor built a whole new room for him above his garage. Framed it out, sheet rocked, windows, electrical, painted, flooring. Did it all and said his insanely particular wife was thrilled with the job he did. He sent me a video of that and of a bathroom the guy did. Both looked amazing.

So I needed him because we have mold on the ceiling in our bathroom. He’s gonna cut out 3’x3’ in one spot and about 1’x2’ in another, put new sheet rock (dry wall whatever) up, tape, spackle, sand, and then repaint that bathroom (it’s small, 6’x7’) both walls and ceiling AND paint our connecting 15’x14’ bathroom walls and ceiling for a combined $900.

That’s crazy cheap. It’s cash only so the guy is saving some obviously. Plus he doesn’t have to pay insurance or anything like that for his helper too. But still.

Hopefully I’m not getting too excited and the guy doesn’t suck. But I told him if he does a really good job, I’d pay him more (thinking $1,100-$1,200 or so) and that we are going to also want to paint one more room upstairs and all of downstairs as well fairly soon…wanted to sort of incentivize it…honestly, usually around here, this job would be like $3,000. Maybe more.
You should really think about that before doing the work. You might be happier as a cordyceps.

It is a big risk hiring an unlicensed, uninsured/ non-bonded person to do work in your home. On a big job, they could do horrible work and/or leave work undone after receiving pay. That part is not a big risk for a job like yours.

However, if he (or his helper) gets hurt on the job (falls off ladder, claims injury due to exposure to black mold, etc.) you will be personally liable. And most homeowners policies have exemptions to not cover unlicensed contractors, so you may be paying out of pocket
The potential risk for loss can be staggering. Plenty of horror stories with this fact pattern. Hope it works out for you.

My son and grand-daughter come down last week for a vaca. We hit the beach on the first 80 degree day, of course it was 68 at the beach, but the sun was great and even with a bit of a breeze it was still fantastic. Tough to have a bad day at the beach, minus of course encounters with hungry fish or grumpy sting rays. Otherwise for the most part a bad day at the beach beats a good day about anywhere else. But it was fun having them down to visit. We are finally empty-nesters and having the visits is very welcome. And they are of a fixed duration, so that is an added bonus! lol

It is a big risk hiring an unlicensed, uninsured/ non-bonded person to do work in your home. On a big job, they could do horrible work and/or leave work undone after receiving pay. That part is not a big risk for a job like yours.

However, if he (or his helper) gets hurt on the job (falls off ladder, claims injury due to exposure to black mold, etc.) you will be personally liable. And most homeowners policies have exemptions to not cover unlicensed contractors, so you may be paying out of pocket
The potential risk for loss can be staggering. Plenty of horror stories with this fact pattern. Hope it works out for you.

I hear you but I’m not worried about it.

Also, as far as a big job goes, that’s why you pay 1/3 (for materials) up front, 1/3 when the job is about halfway to 2/3 done, and the remainder when it’s completely done. Only an idiot would pay all up front.

I do agree with you on a big job though. Not sure I’d feel remotely comfortable having the guy do something as large as I mentioned.

Last edited:

Don’t take this the wrong way, but I absolutely loathe the “jack of all trades unlicensed” guy. Sure, he can make it look pretty when he’s done, but that doesn’t mean his electrical work isn't going to burn your freaking house down.
What you’re doing, just drywall repair and paint, is another thing. I’m 100% ok with that, but I absolutely would not have someone like that work on anything in my house that would ordinarily require an inspection.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but I absolutely loathe the “jack of all trades unlicensed” guy. Sure, he can make it look pretty when he’s done, but that doesn’t mean his electrical work isn't going to burn your freaking house down.
What you’re doing, just drywall repair and paint, is another thing. I’m 100% ok with that, but I absolutely would not have someone like that work on anything in my house that would ordinarily require an inspection.

My big thing was just the painting tbh. The original $900 quote did not include the one minor electrical job. But I hear you.

Btw. The guy did a phenomenal job with the painting.

So you may have guessed we are in Hawaii. Going ziplining this morning near Hilo over the waterfall. Heading home on Monday. It's been an awesome trip. Brought my mom and dad, as this was a bucket list event for them and they are both 86, so it's probably their only chance to come to Hawaii. My dad is going ziplining with us. He's excited.

It's been a nice diversion from being laid off 3 weeks ago. Sick of the 3PL world. Ugh. Wish me luck!

So you may have guessed we are in Hawaii. Going ziplining this morning near Hilo over the waterfall. Heading home on Monday. It's been an awesome trip. Brought my mom and dad, as this was a bucket list event for them and they are both 86, so it's probably their only chance to come to Hawaii. My dad is going ziplining with us. He's excited.

It's been a nice diversion from being laid off 3 weeks ago. Sick of the 3PL world. Ugh. Wish me luck!
Glad you are having fun! I love that your dad is ziplining.

Sorry about the layoff. That always sucks.

I've been laughing my arse off watching this show this morning, beer festival this afternoon.