What's new

Ricky Rubio

Being the best passer is only so useful if you cant create offense because no one respects your scoring ability. John Stockton could make so many great passes because he could finish at the rim and hit a jump shot, things Rubio consistently finishes towards the bottom of the league at.

I remember early in John's career, he shot something like 54% from the field for a season. An SI reporter asked him how he managed to do that, his reply, "They weren't guarding me." With Stockton, the opposing coach always had to pick his poison.

Rubio isn't Stockton.

Anyway, it's already been mentioned that to play to Rubio's strengths he has to have the ball in his hands. We have a few people control the ball and we move it around. This was one of the reasons Nash and Kobe was a colossal failure -- for each of them to be successful they needed the ball in their hands, even though Nash was pass-first. And this is Rubio we're talking about, not Nash.

Everything depends on Hayward. I would not sign Teo before Hayward and if we needed a point guard pre-free agency Beverly and Rubio are my preferred options.... in that order.

Ricky gets a ton of deflections, loose balls, and steals. I can only imagine that would improve with Gobert behind him. If we get him I will talk myself into the second half of his last year... if we don't I will say its a complete fluke.

Who we sign at pg has nothing to do with signing Hayward. On July 1st, DL will offer Hayward the biggest contract Hayward can get, and then he will email Hill's agent DL's best offer with a deadline for accepting.

The one thing DL won't do is sit around waiting for Hayward and Hill to decide. If he can pick up Milos or another suitable pg for $8 million, he won't wait for Hill to decide, because he can't. If following this approach leaves him with 6 point guards by mid-July, then he will fix it through trades.

They could have gotten D-Will during the trade deadline, they didnt. I just dont see it happening.

Yeah, and apparently passed to not get in the way of Exum's development but then started Mack. Whiff.

I was comparing their poor D compared to their respective O, not to each other. Nash was also possibly the best shooter in the league. My point was I would take the risk for the boost on O this Jazz team needs and I think Teo will provide at the expense of worse D. Just like I would take prime Nash if I could, even though he was a defensive liability...

Who we sign at pg has nothing to do with signing Hayward. On July 1st, DL will offer Hayward the biggest contract Hayward can get, and then he will email Hill's agent DL's best offer with a deadline for accepting.

The one thing DL won't do is sit around waiting for Hayward and Hill to decide. If he can pick up Milos or another suitable pg for $8 million, he won't wait for Hill to decide, because he can't. If following this approach leaves him with 6 point guards by mid-July, then he will fix it through trades.
There will be sitting and waiting.

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app

So maybe that should yell you they just didn't want Dwill.

I thought it was understood we would have claimed him but he wanted to try for a title and we were setting up for this offseason a la Joe Jesus.

I would be a little hesitant on dwill unless Hayward is back and he is cool with it. His talent isn't worth a chemistry disruption

Anyway, it's already been mentioned that to play to Rubio's strengths he has to have the ball in his hands. We have a few people control the ball and we move it around. This was one of the reasons Nash and Kobe was a colossal failure -- for each of them to be successful they needed the ball in their hands, even though Nash was pass-first. And this is Rubio we're talking about, not Nash.

Not really true, but I'll play this game.

Last year, Hill posted roughly a 24% usage rate. Rubio, post LaVine, posted easily his highest usage rate of....about 22%! So he's never had the ball more than what Hill did for us. Would that be too much?

For further accuracy, and SSS warning as well...Rubio post LaVine: 42/36/92 splits. TS% of 55. Stat line of 16/4.5/10.5 and a pile of steals. That ain't too bad.

Does Ricky or Bev move the needle for Hayward? I'd do Bev regardless depending on cost.

I thought it was understood we would have claimed him but he wanted to try for a title and we were setting up for this offseason a la Joe Jesus.

I would be a little hesitant on dwill unless Hayward is back and he is cool with it. His talent isn't worth a chemistry disruption
Nah, he wanted the Jazz and they just didn't want him.

Not really true, but I'll play this game.

Last year, Hill posted roughly a 24% usage rate. Rubio, post LaVine, posted easily his highest usage rate of....about 24%! So he's never had the ball more than what Hill did for us. Would that be too much?
Usage rate isn't time with ball in hand. If you want that look at touch stats on nba.com

Rubio is 6th in touch time per possession in the nba, Hill is 16th.

That's with Utah playing the slowest pace too, so more touch time available in the average possession.