What's new

Roster Building From Here - FA and Summer of 2023

Right. You had mentioned a few other times that that has been worked around in the past (but I haven’t really dive into that).
You can work the timing on a cap space thing but would be really difficult to do it on a sign and trade. You could get JC to opt in and tell the other team he will extend off that number I suppose.

And KO was actually the better player last season (though I would expect that to change next year, but the fact that it's even questionable with JC's salary isnt a good sign).
Part of my concern on Collins is also if we end up drafting Walker/Hendricks then we have 3/75M of John Collins blocking playing time. So I'd need to see how the draft played out. With the new cba they should be as desperate as ever to offload his money.

The discussions on this bring up an interesting point. Given the balls didn't fall our way, do we simply use our upcoming space to gain a few more assets while just letting our players we draft develop? May not do much for keeping Lauri here longterm, but it's a thought. A bad contract now turns into a great asset as an expiring later with the new CBA for teams that need to get out from all the aprons in place now. It may turn out one or two of those players could be useful, if Hardy is as good at development as we hope he is.

Blazers are believed to be considering moving the #3 pick. Lauri is my favorite so I wouldn't do it but since we don't make decisions do you think Ainge would consider a trade? Maybe Lauri/pick for #3/Sharpe? I could see him considering it if he's really high on Scoot/Miller and/or Sharpe. There has also been talk that Ainge liked the '24 draft a lot.

IDK, I think the blazers are more likely to trade the pick instead of Lillard, and Markkanen would be great alongside Lillard/Grant/Simons/Nurk and is younger. Any trade with Toronto for Siakam which is discussed a lot would probably involve Simons/Nurk/etc to get up to Siakam's $37 million compared to Lauri's $16mil and gives less flexibility for Grant.

I wouldn't be too excited about it as it definitely pushes our timeline back, but Ainge follows value

Blazers are believed to be considering moving the #3 pick. Lauri is my favorite so I wouldn't do it but since we don't make decisions do you think Ainge would consider a trade? Maybe Lauri/pick for #3/Sharpe? I could see him considering it if he's really high on Scoot/Miller and/or Sharpe. There has also been talk that Ainge liked the '24 draft a lot.

IDK, I think the blazers are more likely to trade the pick instead of Lillard, and Markkanen would be great alongside Lillard/Grant/Simons/Nurk and is younger. Any trade with Toronto for Siakam which is discussed a lot would probably involve Simons/Nurk/etc to get up to Siakam's $37 million compared to Lauri's $16mil and gives less flexibility for Grant.

I wouldn't be too excited about it as it definitely pushes our timeline back, but Ainge follows value
If we did it I think it would be a straight swap of Lauri for #3 (we the appropriate salary matching fodder).

I think everyone would be pretty furious... I don't think I'd do it but I'd understand it if we did. Build around Scoot, Kessler, Ochai, Sexton and whatever 9, 16, 28 bring.

I think Lauri is the type of player they would need to move it if it was just #3 for a player. Not sure they get that good of an offer.

If we did it I think it would be a straight swap of Lauri for #3 (we the appropriate salary matching fodder).

I think everyone would be pretty furious... I don't think I'd do it but I'd understand it if we did. Build around Scoot, Kessler, Ochai, Sexton and whatever 9, 16, 28 bring.

I think Lauri is the type of player they would need to move it if it was just #3 for a player. Not sure they get that good of an offer.
Do the trade and then when the blazers still dont win next year and realize they are going to have to rebuild, we trade them some picks for Lauri ;)
Build around Lauri, scoot, ochai, sexton, kessler, etc.

I just don't know how we view our timeline... If we have Lauri I think we are on his timeline. So its a bit more accelerated than we might prefer but hit a homerun in this years draft and make a decent signing and you are in business.

I don't see it. It would set the timeline back so far and at Ainge's age, I don't think that's what he wants. The beat writers have been saying that the Jazz don't want a long term rebuild, they want to become contenders again as fast as possible, they've also been saying that they are going to use some of their assets to trade for a star at some point. There is no point in looking to trade for a star right now if they're planning on the timeline for being good again being so far away.

I just don't know how we view our timeline... If we have Lauri I think we are on his timeline. So its a bit more accelerated than we might prefer but hit a homerun in this years draft and make a decent signing and you are in business.
That's where I'm at, if we can quickly construct a contender around Lauri, that's the way to go. Otherwise, moving him and resetting the timeline isn't the worst option. He was amazing last year, and could keep getting better, but it could also be the perfect sell high time for him. Scoot is a #1 pick in a lot of drafts. Getting him for one piece of the Donovan Mitchell trade is a massive return on investment. Then you hand Scoot the keys and keep some nice pieces like Ochai and Kessler around, and all the incoming draft picks.

FWIW, I'm in a general NBA discord and floated the idea, and they thought there was no way Lauri nets the #3 pick. So there is definitely a disconnect on what his value actually is. I think he'd fit great in Portland and not sure who they could get that is better to build around Dame.

That's where I'm at, if we can quickly construct a contender around Lauri, that's the way to go. Otherwise, moving him and resetting the timeline isn't the worst option. He was amazing last year, and could keep getting better, but it could also be the perfect sell high time for him. Scoot is a #1 pick in a lot of drafts. Getting him for one piece of the Donovan Mitchell trade is a massive return on investment. Then you hand Scoot the keys and keep some nice pieces like Ochai and Kessler around, and all the incoming draft picks.

FWIW, I'm in a general NBA discord and floated the idea, and they thought there was no way Lauri nets the #3 pick. So there is definitely a disconnect on what his value actually is. I think he'd fit great in Portland and not sure who they could get that is better to build around Dame.
that doesnt surprise me.

Resetting the timeline is the heart of what makes that make sense. I’m a little alarmed at how fast things are going and was prepared for a diligent rebuild. It would then make sense to tank next year and not clutch pearls about taking on bad multi-year money in order to continue to stockpile assets.

On the flip side, tanking sucks.

Ainge is kind of the master of dealing when hype is maxed. That speaks to dealing Lauri if the price is right. And poll anyone prior to the year of trading Lauri for Scoot and you’ll get 95% saying it’s a coup.

Resetting the timeline is the heart of what makes that make sense. I’m a little alarmed at how fast things are going and was prepared for a diligent rebuild. It would then make sense to tank next year and not clutch pearls about taking on bad multi-year money in order to continue to stockpile assets.

On the flip side, tanking sucks.

Ainge is kind of the master of dealing when hype is maxed. That speaks to dealing Lauri if the price is right. And poll anyone prior to the year of trading Lauri for Scoot and you’ll get 95% saying it’s a coup.
Pretty sure Danny told Lauri to buy a house. I know DA is cuthroat and stuff, but I doubt he is looking to trade Lauri. IT would have to be an insane offer and I dont think teams are making insane offers for a guy who has only had 1 standout season.