What's new

Roster Building From Here - FA and Summer of 2023

One idea with our cap space this year is we could go acquire a guy like OG Anunoby or Dejounte Murray and do a renegotiate and extend deal. This is what Myles Turner did with the Pacers recently. You'd have to wait until the season started but hopefully could agree near the time of the trade. The way this works is you give OG or Dejounte (both making about 18M a year) a deal all the way up to the max using you excess cap space. So they go up to 40M for next year and then you can decline the contract by as much as 40%. So for OG it would be $40 next year and then say an average of $30M over the next 3 years and make it decline so its like 32/29/27... equals out to a 3 year 120M extension for him and our cap hit is $10M+ in the years that matter most. We can do the same thing with Lauri in a year but it likely would be a straight max instead of a declining value deal.
WHY DOES THIS POST HAVE JUST 1 LIKE?!?

If that is within the rules and either guy would be possible to snag, that would be an awesome move.

Probably the best idea Ive seen on how to use the cap (except trading for another star if the right guy is available).

If that is within the rules and either guy would be possible to snag, that would be an awesome move.

Probably the best idea Ive seen on how to use the cap (except trading for another star if the right guy is available).
With OG I am not 100% sure it is possible. It has to be three years from the date they signed the contract... which would work. I am not if the contract kicking in a year later matters in his case since it was an extension... Murray and Lauri would be eligible when I stated though.

I dont think either are worth that though myself. maybe this front office would but doubtful.
aside from whatever the draft solves , we could go after Lonnie Walker or maybe try to force the Celtics to overpay to keep GWill
I would guess Danny might look at BOL as a nice target as well.

On ESPN700 Tony Jones said that Clarkson is seeking a contract in the $20 million a year range, and if he gets it, he thinks it will be somewhere else because he doesn't think the Jazz will go that high. He also said the Jazz really want Ochai to be their starting shooting guard next year. That means Clarkson would go back to being a 6th man, and if that's the case, the Jazz wouldn't go higher than $14-$16 million a year.

Tony also said the Jazz want to give Kessler, Ocahi and THT all the minutes they can the rest of the season.

Last edited:
On ESPN700 Tony Jones said that Clarkson is seeking a contract in of around $20 million a year, and if he gets it, he thinks it will be somewhere else because he doesn't think the Jazz will go that high. He also said the Jazz really want Ochai to be their starting shooting guard next year, which means Clarkson would go back to being a 6th man, and if that's the case, the Jazz wouldn't go higher than $14-$16 million a year.
not trading Clarkson really is going to look like a mistake after all

On ESPN700 Tony Jones said that Clarkson is seeking a contract in the $20 million a year range, and if he gets it, he thinks it will be somewhere else because he doesn't think the Jazz will go that high. He also said the Jazz really want Ochai to be their starting shooting guard next year. That means Clarkson would go back to being a 6th man, and if that's the case, the Jazz wouldn't go higher than $14-$16 million a year.

Tony also said the Jazz want to give Kessler, Ocahi and THT all the minutes they can the rest of the season.

Interesting, when we didn't make a trade for him I assumed we were planning on throwing money at JC. I'm glad that we won't be doing that, but not sure why we didn't look to get some assets for him since we knew what he would be asking for.

Lol at kessler getting les than 20 minutes last game

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

You don't think he can get 20 somewhere else? Or 14 from a more desirable location than Utah?
What team with cap space will give him more? He's in a difficult salary range. We could help him with a sign and trade but otherwise its bottom feeders or the MLE.

I thought he already said Sexton was our 6th man of the future?

I thought he already said Sexton was our 6th man of the future?
It sounds to me like they are playing hardball a bit. I'll be honest... I expect him back on a deal in the 15-16m range. I just have a hard time seeing the team that will go to 20M that can go to 20M.

I think there's a decent chance he gets S&T'd
Pretty much this... the reason we didn't trade him for 3-4 seconds is because we will either retain him at a decent price or move him in a sign and trade and get something worth more than 3-4 seconds. Or he walks and we open up another 15M in cap space to work with.

I think we made the right value judgement as I don't think there was a first out there for JC.

Looks like ORL is in the running for FVV and willing to break the bank. Have to wonder where that leaves Suggs and Fultz. Suggs can play with FVV, Fultz is a tough fit.

I've strangely been watching a decent amount of ORL recently, and I've been fairly impressed with Fultz. Defensively he's big and athletic with active hands. On offense he's explosive, a great passer, and is a very comfortable mid range shooter. This combo makes him so tough to guard in PnR. He's come along way, but the 3 point shooting is still not there and probably won't be. I would not mind tossing a bad first for him. He's kind of like a more polished version of point THT.