What's new

Royce O'Neale Over Bolomboy

It was never about his current roll with the team. The 15th man. It was the possible future.
The odds were against him ever becoming a big time player, but I still wanted to try.

It's over, so I'll let it go. I'll trust in the pros who have seen so much more than us to make the right call.

I hope royce o'neale pans out. Super pumped for game 1 tomorrow night.

We will have roster spots next year... if he doesn't have a home there's a chance we bring him back.

I like when guys cape for their dudes so props... I could see the case for either.

I think Royce could be a Crowder/Salmons type wing and can come in right now and take up rotation minutes at a variety of positions. If Dante was healthy maybe Joel gets the nod. Burks or Hood will almost surely miss some time this year... we will need some depth there.

I don’t know that I’d confuse me making a defense for why he’s an interesting prospect as me caping (never heard that term, TBH) for him or not liking O’Neal. I think O’Neal looks quite intriguing, especially his college shooting numbers and volume. I think the bottom line is that it’s okay to have liked Bolomboy but also not saw him as an all-star. It’s also possible to like him but not want to crucify the FO or O’Neal or even find any fault with the decision. It’s really not so dichotomous but people freak out if you offer support of why you liked someone who got cut.

I don’t know that I’d confuse me making a defense for why he’s an interesting prospect as me caping (never heard that term, TBH) for him or not liking O’Neal. I think O’Neal looks quite intriguing, especially his college shooting numbers and volume. I think the bottom line is that it’s okay to have liked Bolomboy but also not saw him as an all-star. It’s also possible to like him but not want to crucify the FO or O’Neal or even find any fault with the decision. It’s really not so dichotomous but people freak out if you offer support of why you liked someone who got cut.

My bad... confused you for Thee in the thread... Your take is perfectly reasonable.

We’ve had plenty of people that people have gotten excited over and thought had potential:

Ronnie Price
Robert Whaley
CJ Miles
Pleiss
Etc.

But I’d be cautious to cast off all “potential” guys just because we’ve had plenty of crappy people that everyone gets all hot over. I’d set the differentiating point at whether or not they have an elite NBA skill, and not just “pretty good” skill. I’d put Bolomboy’s rebounding in the elite category. And that is a skill that doesn’t need touches to shine and can be utilized just by being on the floor — not a good passer who needs to dominate the ball, not a guy with “unreal” athleticism who can “create his own shot,” and not a “really good shooter” who needs to take shots from other people. Put a rebounder on the floor and be conservative with them touching the ball or whatever and just let them rebound. I think the only other legit player we had who was a project was Fesenko. I think physically with how mobile he was and with how big his body was, he really could have been a good presence. He squandered that, though.

I'm assuming Thee Jazz Fan is just joking/trolling. Nobody cares that much about the 15th man.
If you knew me better, you'd know that's the furthest thing from the truth. It's my policy to troll the trolls and some I out right ignore. I'm also not joking.
No, some people here really liked Bolomboy. It's what happens when you get local talent. Hell if the Jazz got Jimmer tomorrow, there would be someone here advocating to play him over Rubio.
I have no allegiances to Bolomboy from his college days. Never saw him play once till after he was drafted I see lots of potential with him

I think it is funny they list him at 6'9" because he looks a lot shorter then that.[/URL]

At the draft combine he was measured 6'7 ½" without shoes, with a 7'1 ¾" wingspan and a standing reach of 8'7 ½" - per Draftexpress. He is slightly undersized even for a PF.

How is this the right call. Either will be 15th in the pecking order and not play much if at all, at least Bolomboy has that upside. All he lacked was experience, hell, he's less experienced in basketball as a whole then the rookies coming out. U realize Bolomboy has only been playing ball for a few years. IMO, he's going to be very good. What's the point of having Royce over Bolomboy? We have wings galore. Other then Favors and Gobert, there is no sure thing. JJ is old as dirt Udo has already washed out of the NBA once, and Jerebko, really. Need I say more.

Mark my words, this will go down as one of the big mistakes by management.

You're way too optimistic about Bolomboy, IMO. Please, tell me the name of one player who couldn't even get on the floor at the age of 23 and then became "very good". I think we can all agree that Bolomboy has more than enough athleticism to play in the league, but he is also slightly undersized even for a PF - he's smaller than Boozer, for instance -, doesn't seem to have the skill set to play away from the basket and is not particularly smart. By the way, he is not "only" undersized, but not physically imposing as well.

I hoped the Jazz not only trusted Bolomboy with the PF reserve role but even run some plays for him, so perhaps he would somehow develop, but I think that with Hayward gone they decided to go with Jerekbo on that role, a (somewhat) proven veteran. That left Bolomboy really at the end of the bench, where he became basically irrelevant. Besides, management may not have liked his summer league performances.

You're way too optimistic about Bolomboy, IMO. Please, tell me the name of one player who couldn't even get on the floor at the age of 23 and then became "very good". I think we can all agree that Bolomboy has more than enough athleticism to play in the league, but he is also slightly undersized even for a PF - he's smaller than Boozer, for instance -, doesn't seem to have the skill set to play away from the basket and is not particularly smart. By the way, he is not "only" undersized, but not physically imposing as well.

I hoped the Jazz not only trusted Bolomboy with the PF reserve role but even run some plays for him, so perhaps he would somehow develop, but I think that with Hayward gone they decided to go with Jerekbo on that role, a (somewhat) proven veteran. That left Bolomboy really at the end of the bench, where he became basically irrelevant. Besides, management may not have liked his summer league performances.

He's not like most 23-24 year olds. First time he picked up a basketball was in high school he's still in his infancy as far as basketball goes, therefore he's closer to a Jermaine O'Neal, who didn't get regular playing time his first three or four years in the league. I'm not just spouting out crap here, there's a method to my madness, unlike u!! Since when is 6-10 235lb too small in today's NBA? Green is 6-7 230lb Clint Kapella is 6-10 240 starting center for the rockets Tatum started tonight's game at Power forward. He's 6-8 205 lb Ryan Anderson is 6-10 240lb. Please tell me how he's too small to play on the post?

Bolomboy has all of the physical tools to propell him to be good in this league. The only thing holding him back is experience. He's on the level of most 19-21 year olds due to the fact that he hasn't been playing all his life like most in the NBA has. IMO he just needs time. Some team is going to pick him up, because there is value there and they are going to give him a chance to improve, he will learn to use his special physical tools in time and become a damn good NBA player. He has all the tools including playing away from the basket, it's just a matter of translating his workouts to actual game play talent. Is he a project, hell ya he is, but at this stage of the game he's already showing range in games at this stage of his development which is around the stage of most 19-21 year olds coming into the NBA, most of them need at least a couple years or more

Don't be an idiot!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ian Clark went on to play minutes for GSW and got paid this year.

Justin Holiday, Robert Covington, Jeremy Lin, it happens guys.

He's not like most 23-24 year olds. First time he picked up a basketball was in high school he's still in his infancy as far as basketball goes, therefore he's closer to a Jermaine O'Neal, who didn't get regular playing time his first three or four years in the league. I'm not just spouting out crap here, there's a method to my madness, unlike u!! Since when is 6-10 235lb too small in today's NBA? Green is 6-7 230lb Clint Kapella is 6-10 240 starting center for the rockets Tatum started tonight's game at Power forward. He's 6-8 205 lb Ryan Anderson is 6-10 240lb. Please tell me how he's too small to play on the post?

Bolomboy has all of the physical tools to propell him to be good in this league. The only thing holding him back is experience. He's on the level of most 19-21 year olds due to the fact that he hasn't been playing all his life like most in the NBA has. IMO he just needs time. Some team is going to pick him up, because there is value there and they are going to give him a chance to improve, he will learn to use his special physical tools in time and become a damn good NBA player. He has all the tools including playing away from the basket, it's just a matter of translating his workouts to actual game play talent. Is he a project, hell ya he is, but at this stage of the game he's already showing range in games at this stage of his development which is around the stage of most 19-21 year olds coming into the NBA, most of them need at least a couple years or more

Don't be an idiot!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oy.

Jermaine O'Neal, as a teenaged rookie, played meaningful playoff minutes, 6-10 minutes in the games he played, on a crazy deep and loaded Portland team.

Bolomboy can't get any minutes in crap basketball.

Plz stfu now.

Thanks.