What's new

Rubio has to go to the bench

yamers

i think it would help him alot to play with the second unit.

I think Mitchell can open the floor like a Harden. He already passes really well.

give em the go.

I don't think it does, at least not in the long-term.
I’m not so sure about that. We’ve seen a lot of Rubio/Mitchell, but not a lot of Mitchell/Hood. If they have any interest in keeping Hood long term, they should look to see how well he and Donovan can play together as starters. I personally think that the future backcourt is going to be some combination of Mitchell, Hood and Exum.

I also think that Rubio can be a LOT more effective if he’s coming off the bench and only playing with one of Favors/Gobert at the 5 and one of Jerebko/Sefalosha/JJ at the 4. Let Burks serve as the offensive spark plug off the bench and see what Donovan and Rodney can do together.

Synder is too stubborn to make that adjustment imo.

Quinn has been forced to make adjustments on more regular basis then almost any coach in the league. He is as far from stubborn as any NBA coach I have observed. The fact that folks are twisted on Rubio means that Quinn is seeing different stuff then you are seeing.

I think Rubio continuing to start is the best in the short and long term.
How can that be best long-term, when it is becoming more and more obvious that the Jazz are not a good fit and that it's in the best interests of both that they move him after this season?

He committed six turnovers last game and some of those at crucial moments, that if the Spurs weren't playing their JV team would probably have cost the Jazz the game. And those turnovers were almost always the result of bad decisions.

Quinn has been forced to make adjustments on more regular basis then almost any coach in the league. He is as far from stubborn as any NBA coach I have observed. The fact that folks are twisted on Rubio means that Quinn is seeing different stuff then you are seeing.
I agree that Quinn makes adjustments and does it well. However, with Rubio, it's clear as day Rubio should not start when other players are healthy. Dude is bad for our line-up and I assume, or have to believe Synder gets that - hence stubborn.

How can that be best long-term, when it is becoming more and more obvious that the Jazz are not a good fit and that it's in the best interests of both that they move him after this season?

He committed six turnovers last game and some of those at crucial moments, that if the Spurs weren't playing their JV team would probably have cost the Jazz the game. And those turnovers were almost always the result of bad decisions.

Because if you want to trade Rubio this off-season you want him to look like a starting PG. You bench Rubio now and it hurts his chances at making a turnaround, similar to what he did last year.

For instance, if the Wolves benched Rubio last year in December, does he turn it around? If he doesnt, does Utah still trade for him? Sometimes you just got to stick with your guys and give them a chance.

And Rubio was also great in the 4th quarter and Utah also has a ton of key injuries, so please gtfo with the Spurs were injured thing.

I agree that Quinn makes adjustments and does it well. However, with Rubio, it's clear as day Rubio should not start when other players are healthy. Dude is bad for our line-up and I assume, or have to believe Synder gets that - hence stubborn.

It is more then obvious that Quinn, who is an extremely flexible and even innovative coach, disagrees with your assessment of Rubio. The thing most stubborn is hanging on to the notion that Quinn is being stubborn. He believes Ricky needs to be on the floor. Calling him stubborn is as ridiculous as another comment where someone suggested he doesn't play rookies. You can disagree with Quinn all you want and that is fine. The label does not fit at all.

I thought Rubio was a beast on defense last. Granted he was guarding a 45 year old PG.

As far as being a back up. You want two things from your second string PG- Can hit wide open shots and doesn't turn the ball over......

Strike one and strike two.

It is more then obvious that Quinn, who is an extremely flexible and even innovative coach, disagrees with your assessment of Rubio. The thing most stubborn is hanging on to the notion that Quinn is being stubborn. He believes Ricky needs to be on the floor. Calling him stubborn is as ridiculous as another comment where someone suggested he doesn't play rookies. You can disagree with Quinn all you want and that is fine. The label does not fit at all.
Quinn certainly knows basketball better than I do. You also hit the nail on the head when you said Quinn believes in Ricky - I don't. To me, that's one of his greatest things as a coach - his ability to be patient, and believe in guys to improve with time, no matter what age.
Rubio is statistically and visually garbage for this team in my humble opinion though.

Hehepeepeecaca

I thought Rubio was a beast on defense last. Granted he was guarding a 45 year old PG.

As far as being a back up. You want two things from your second string PG- Can hit wide open shots and doesn't turn the ball over......

Strike one and strike two.
My favorite part of Ricky's game is his defense. Dude moves pretty well and tries on almost every defensive possession.

Because if you want to trade Rubio this off-season you want him to look like a starting PG. You bench Rubio now and it hurts his chances at making a turnaround, similar to what he did last year.

For instance, if the Wolves benched Rubio last year in December, does he turn it around? If he doesnt, does Utah still trade for him? Sometimes you just got to stick with your guys and give them a chance.

This is correct imo... I would try to move Rubio from now until the deadline. I would consider a benching in March but... there are teams that will miss out on FA targets and PGs in the draft and there may be some new suitors.

Start of next season is bench time for sure doe... if he’s still around.

I typically complain about Rubio. I think on the whole he's been bad this season. Last night was a good game for him, though. A double-double, played well. Had turnover issues, but those were largely offset by good decisions and hustle plays, good defense. It was a good game for him. I wish he'd have more like that.

We need to slip Dan Gilbert a roofie and introduce him to Ricky’s handsome good looks then get him to pull the trigger on a Ricky/Johnson for Love deal.