fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
This deserves it's own thread
For those who don't know, no one in NBA history has dunked the ball more than Rudy in a season. And he still has more dunks to add to his total this year.

Simply amazing. The legend of Rudy grows.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I guess there should be a disclaimer that I saw someone else post that the dunk stat didn't start getting tracked until the 98-99 season I believe it was.

Still......

All time most dunk in a season... impressive! I think people don't realise enough how lucky we are to have Rudy to the Jazz. Proud of you Rudy!

Sent from my SM-A520F using JazzFanz mobile app
Personally I do every game, every play that opposition cutter kicks that rock out hoping to escape from the inevitable bitch slap coming his way.

All time most dunk in a season... impressive! I think people don't realise enough how lucky we are to have Rudy to the Jazz. Proud of you Rudy!

Sent from my SM-A520F using JazzFanz mobile app
I do think we all realize how lucky we are to have Rudy on the Jazz. He should have got more of the crazy cheering for his great night, I was really hoping he's come away with a 30 10 night.
We appreciate him for way more than just dunking. His D, fire, attitude, desire to win, blocks, altered shots, tweets... we love him here and we do realize.

This would have more gravity if the record went back to Wilt’s time, but still way more impressive than a great college career 8+ years ago.

Reactions: Tak
I do think we all realize how lucky we are to have Rudy on the Jazz. He should have got more of the crazy cheering for his great night, I was really hoping he's come away with a 30 10 night.
We appreciate him for way more than just dunking. His D, fire, attitude, desire to win, blocks, altered shots, tweets... we love him here and we do realize.
On the other hand I have had to defend Rudy's greatness when other jazz fans criticize him like crazy and think he isn't very good because he can't shoot.

Reactions: SCS
I tried finding season dunk records on the internet last night and couldn't find them. Apparently not a stat that people get excited about. I cannot recall anyone commenting recently on the fact that Rudy was likely to break this record and hadn't been aware of it. I wasn't sure if even Rudy knew based on his post-game interview. Good job, Rudy!

The dunk stat might be relatively newer but we can get a glance at how it would be from their shot choices and game style.

This is Rudy’s FG totals:
upload_2019-3-27_0-8-20.jpeg

Wilt’s:
upload_2019-3-27_0-8-58.jpeg

1597 field goals in one season? Sheesh.

Based on the meager available footage of Wilt, his offensive game was a lot of layups, finger rolls, and hook shots. He obviously was a dunker, but not in the way people were later. They just didn't dunk as much back then, and certainly not with the kind of power(and rim-hanging) you see today. I think dunks were just considering showing off.

If I had to bet on someone having had more dunks than Rudy in a season, it'd be Orlando Shaq.

The dunk stat might be relatively newer but we can get a glance at how it would be from their shot choices and game style.

This is Rudy’s FG totals:
View attachment 6961

Wilt’s:
View attachment 6962

1597 field goals in one season? Sheesh.
Nice find.

Wilt attempted 40 shots a game in ‘61-‘62. All on the block. What a terrible product the NBA was then.

This would have more gravity if the record went back to Wilt’s time, but still way more impressive than a great college career 8+ years ago.
I was thinking that too then I started watching Wilt's highlights on YouTube. Rudy is a much better dunker than Wilt was and Wilt was a much better finesse type player. That said, Wilt played 80 (or close to 80) games at least many times while averaging 50 pts a game. Rudy is a beneficiary of the lob/oop too (I don't think Wilt had many of those, but don't know. )

For me, I wouldn't be surprised if Wilt had more or Rudy had more.

Based on the meager available footage of Wilt, his offensive game was a lot of layups, finger rolls, and hook shots. He obviously was a dunker, but not in the way people were later. They just didn't dunk as much back then, and certainly not with the kind of power(and rim-hanging) you see today. I think dunks were just considering showing off.

If I had to bet on someone having had more dunks than Rudy in a season, it'd be Orlando Shaq.

I think you say right! Good points, all of them!

If you are curious, most dunks in a season per season by a jazz player(since they were keeping track 00-01)

17-18: Rudy 151
16-17: Rudy 235
15-16: Rudy 96
14-15: DFav 77
12-13: DFav 80
11-12: DFav 68
10-11: Big Al 74
09-10: AK-47 73
08-09: RonnieB 128
07-08: RonnieB 120
06-07: Boozer 67
05-06: AK-47 71