What's new

Rudy the Beast

Not trying to hijack or cast aspersions but the fact that Kanter's name change was connected to his US Citizenship and his escape from Turkish threats on his life makes the name change thing pretty cool in my book.
I think it's cool. It's also cool to make fun of Kanter. We can both have nice things.

I've always said that if he could develop even the slightest ability to make any type of offensive play with the ball in his hands, he could be the absolutely unstoppable.

I've always said that if he could develop even the slightest ability to make any type of offensive play with the ball in his hands, he could be the absolutely unstoppable.
He's made solid progress this year, imho. It's clear he wants it.

Well in the ad for the upcoming bio for Patrick Ewing, John Stark recalls that Beast was the moniker for Ewing coming out of Georgetown and that Ewing requested that he be addressed by that name. And since it's not still widely associated with Ewing I think it's fair game. TBH I think it's about time we just start referring to him as the GOAT. I mean historically and statistically I don't think any of the All Time Greats can match what Rudy is doing. (This is for centers only obviously. Of course complete body of work must be considered and quality of opponents.) I don't think it's premature, and certainly not like Roger Federer that has since lost his Grand Slam advantage over Djokovic and Nadal and has losing records against both of them. (Like it or not Fed, when it's all said and done, Djoker will be the GOAT by record.)
Wilt

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

It would be catastrophic. The world as we know it would bend in on itself. Time would seize and basketball would be as kick the can. There is a reason basketball Gods gave him ultimate defensive awareness with go go gadget arms. He had to choose his strength and weakness. Could you imagine the carnage.

Wilt

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app
You say Jabbar, I'm retreating, but Wilt was competing against unathletic 6'5"s before Jabbar came along. And then it was kinda all about Jabbar and Wilt became a sideshow shooting underhand free throws from the top of the key.;)

I mean unless it's about scoring groupies. No argument there, undisputed king!

Last edited:
Monthly NBA DPOY Ladder. Rudy at #2, behind Green. Interesting when you read between the lines the bottom-line take on Green is "well he was DPOY before and has been on lots of all defense teams, and since his team has the best defense, he must be the DPOY. Of course we can't point to anything he does better than everyone else, he's just the best defender, because reasons". Yes my homer glasses are firmly in place, that is the purpose of this thread after all. However the hyperbole is minor when you get into the meat of it. With Gober it is all about all-world and other-worldly measurable tangible results. With Green it is about, you know, Golden State on the rise again so of course he is the DPOY, just like of course Curry is the MVP. They are likely locks to win those unless the team has a true melt-down, but imo it is largely the nostalgia factor more than necessarily being the ones who deserve the awards the most.

And somehow, in November they had Gobert outside the top 3. Kind of a funny stance considering he was well into the best season of his career and he just won the DPOY. The anti-Jazz sentiment is strong. Did LBJ and Durrant co-write this piece? Sure feels like a playground dis, and those guys are pros at being grade-school bullies.

Anyway, here is the article.

1. Draymond Green, Golden State Warriors

Last month’s Ladder: 1

He’s not a rim protector, nor is he a lockdown on-ball defender. You won’t find Green ranking high among the usual defensive stats such as steals, blocks, contested shots, deflections, loose balls recovered or charges drawn. But Golden State’s status as the league’s stingiest team makes the case for Green — when coach Steve Kerr or teammates otherwise aren’t — as the NBA’s best defensive player.

Huh, so his team mates are not making any statements about him being the best defensive player, but he just is, you know? I mean who else could it be? Duh!

2. Rudy Gobert, Utah Jazz

Last month’s Ladder: “Next Five” status

The Timberwolves embarrassed themselves when they decided to batter Gobert’s reputation immediately after a game they lost to Utah by 32 points — with the Jazz being 25 points better during the big man’s 31 minutes on the floor. Both Anthony Edwards and Patrick Beverley disparaged the rim defense of the three-time Defensive Player of the Year. Not smart, though it adds a little something-something to the teams’ rematches in Minneapolis Thursday and on New Year’s Eve. Gobert leads the NBA in rebounding (14.8) and defensive rebounding (11.8), averages 2.3 blocks and 12.9 contests and helps Utah rank at the top in net rating (10.5). At least Washington’s Bradley Beal knows it means something to have success at the rim against Gobert.

Tangible stats and stifling defense. But you know, not good enough to be the best. To be the best you have to, uh, be recognized as the best for some reason?

Discuss...

This won’t be popular around here, but I think it’s fair to call Draymond the Dpoy up to this point.

Love Gobert but Draymond is legit too
Draymond can guard any player anywhere on the floor
He can guard a 6 footer on the perimeter
He can guard a 7 footer in the post
He is only guy that can do that
Draymond when healthy is also a legit DPOY

Monthly NBA DPOY Ladder. Rudy at #2, behind Green. Interesting when you read between the lines the bottom-line take on Green is "well he was DPOY before and has been on lots of all defense teams, and since his team has the best defense, he must be the DPOY. Of course we can't point to anything he does better than everyone else, he's just the best defender, because reasons". Yes my homer glasses are firmly in place, that is the purpose of this thread after all. However the hyperbole is minor when you get into the meat of it. With Gober it is all about all-world and other-worldly measurable tangible results. With Green it is about, you know, Golden State on the rise again so of course he is the DPOY, just like of course Curry is the MVP. They are likely locks to win those unless the team has a true melt-down, but imo it is largely the nostalgia factor more than necessarily being the ones who deserve the awards the most.

And somehow, in November they had Gobert outside the top 3. Kind of a funny stance considering he was well into the best season of his career and he just won the DPOY. The anti-Jazz sentiment is strong. Did LBJ and Durrant co-write this piece? Sure feels like a playground dis, and those guys are pros at being grade-school bullies.

Anyway, here is the article.

Huh, so his team mates are not making any statements about him being the best defensive player, but he just is, you know? I mean who else could it be? Duh!

Tangible stats and stifling defense. But you know, not good enough to be the best. To be the best you have to, uh, be recognized as the best for some reason?

Discuss...
Gobert has won it too many times (combined with getting robbed with second places) in a row. It's pretty much impossible for him to win it this year unless we're the best defensive team by a mile. Especially considering we melted in the playoffs after being the #1 seed against the clippers and especially in game 6 with an impossible to lose lead when the narrative is that Gobert was exploited and that lost us the game. There is no way for him to win DPOY with this years regular season accolades. He needs to win in the playoffs big to get this again.

Gobert is the defensive player of the decade though. But I think Green deserves it this year so far.

This won’t be popular around here, but I think it’s fair to call Draymond the Dpoy up to this point.
I'm curious why you think this? Have you watched him play?

I honestly haven't. I just looked up his DRTG and it's the exact same as the team's DRTG. This plays in to the narrative I have in my head that the GSW defense isn't about Draymond, but about the whole team stepping up and playing great defense.

I honestly haven't. I just looked up his DRTG and it's the exact same as the team's DRTG. This plays in to the narrative I have in my head that the GSW defense isn't about Draymond, but about the whole team stepping up and playing great defense.
According to On/Off the GSW defense is actually better without Green on the court.

I’ve watched 5 or 6 games. The defense just communicates and calls audibles so well, and Green’s influence is all over that. They have 3 or 4 styles they can throw at you, and they can alter things on-the-fly. It pretty beautiful. And historically great so far.