What's new

Rudy the Beast

You say Jabbar, I'm retreating, but Wilt was competing against unathletic 6'5"s before Jabbar came along. And then it was kinda all about Jabbar and Wilt became a sideshow shooting underhand free throws from the top of the key.;)

I mean unless it's about scoring groupies. No argument there, undisputed king!
Do research. Wilt competed against a ton of big men in his day. And oh yeah, there were no rules to keep them from all crowding the paint to keep him from dominating which he still did anyway.

The NBA constantly changed the rules to stop Wilt from dominating, but he just kept dominating. The guy was 7'1" and ran the hurdles and did the high jump at Kansas. He's an athletic freak unlike any player we have ever seen.

Please stop telling people Rudy is even near this level.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

Do research. Wilt competed against a ton of big men in his day. And oh yeah, there were no rules to keep them from all crowding the paint to keep him from dominating which he still did anyway.

The NBA constantly changed the rules to stop Wilt from dominating, but he just kept dominating. The guy was 7'1" and ran the hurdles and did the high jump at Kansas. He's an athletic freak unlike any player we have ever seen.

This is correct. Rudy is way beyond that level.

Rudy
Wilt
Everybody else.

Just did some research. Watched some highlight videos. Saw lots of undersized white dudes guarding a gargantuan black dude.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Just did some research. Watched some highlight videos. Saw lots of undersized white dudes guarding a gargantuan black dude.

Average height of centers in the 60s about 6'9" or so. In the 70s 6'10". Now? 6'10" or 6'11". You don't get those averages with only 2 or 3 tall guys. But there were also players at 6'9" who were very dominant defensively, such as Bill Russell. The truth is somewhere in between. Wilt didn't face at many 7-footers as he would today, but all of his opponents weren't 6'3" either.

Average height of centers in the 60s about 6'9" or so. In the 70s 6'10". Now? 6'10" or 6'11". You don't get those averages with only 2 or 3 tall guys. But there were also players at 6'9" who were very dominant defensively, such as Bill Russell. The truth is somewhere in between. Wilt didn't face at many 7-footers as he would today, but all of his opponents weren't 6'3" either.

Is this where the 7" came from?

So I went down the rabbit hole. This is an interesting article. Not a ton by way of sources but he makes some good points.

So I went down the rabbit hole. This is an interesting article. Not a ton by way of sources but he makes some good points.

Fun article, definitely a fluff piece though.

What research, they didn't keep track of turnovers, blocks, PERs, any of that stuff, and what they did track was done with a pencil and paper and subject to human error. Still some of his official stats are downright pathetic. He finished with a career fg% of .540 and a free throw % of .511. For comparison, Rudy's career % in those areas are presently .650 and .634. Due to the fact that games were considerably longer and Wilt averaged 45.8 minutes per game compared to Rudy's 31.6 mins per game (for their careers, excluding Rudy's first year), things like rebounds and assists are difficult to compare. Sure Wilt averaged 22.9 rebounds per game for his career and Rudy has a paltry 12.4 (excluding his first year where he barely played), but Rudy seems to have turned a corner here due to increased strength and by comparing 15 boards per game for 32 minutes compared to Wilt's average at that age (29) of 24.6 rpg for 47.3 minutes, we can see that Gobert is not far behind on a per minute basis. The remaining advantage for Chamberlain in this department could easily be attributed to today’s three point shot which decreases the natural rebounding advantage the big man has. And when you factor in what they allowed them to get away with in those days combined with Wilt's strength you can see where making a truly objective comparison in this department becomes nearly impossible.

But beyond the numbers, I was there! I watched many of those classic encounters between Chamberlain and Jabbar, and Chamberlain and Russell. If he was so damn dominant why do his closest contemporaries and rivals have better winning records? In 16 seasons, Wilt only managed to win two rings whereas Russell won 11 titles in 13 seasons and Jabbar won 6 rings in 20 seasons. Let's also remember just how small the league was in those days. One would think that a truly phenomenal freak center would have fared a little bit better. What I remember of Wilt towards the end was an almost freakishly scared to be fouled athlete ala Ben Simmons last season that would alternately shoot underhand, overhand to the side of the line or actually stradling at the top of the circle shooting the ball two hand between the legs.

Regardless what you want to believe or argue, it was a truly different game back then, played over more minutes and with more laissez faire officiating. I remember when Earl the Pearl Monroe came along, because until that time a guard that could penetrate and finish among the trees was unheard of. He and Nate the Skate Archibald ushered in a new era with better ball skills and quicker more athletic players IMO. Comparing the players of that era in terms of accomplishments is almost like apples and oranges - very difficult to do.

And for the record, please don't try to tell me what I can and can't say on this forum, you're no more of an authority than I am.

Last edited:
What research, they didn't keep track of turnovers, blocks, PERs, any of that stuff, and what they did track was done with a pencil and paper and subject to human error. Still some of his official stats are downright pathetic. He finished with a career fg% of .540 and a free throw % of .511. For comparison, Rudy's career % in those areas are presently .650 and .634. Due to the fact that games were considerably longer and Wilt averaged 45.8 minutes per game compared to Rudy's 31.6 mins per game (for their careers, excluding Rudy's first year), things like rebounds and assists are difficult to compare. Sure Wilt averaged 22.9 rebounds per game for his career and Rudy has a paltry 12.4 (excluding his first year where he barely played), but Rudy seems to have turned a corner here due to increased strength and by comparing 15 boards per game for 32 minutes compared to Wilt's average at that age (29) of 24.6 rpg for 47.3 minutes, we can see that Gobert is not far behind on a per minute basis. When you factor in what they let them get away with in those days combined with Wilt's strength you can see where the waters get a bit muddied however making a truly objective comparison in this department near impossible.

But beyond the numbers, I was there! I watched many of those classic encounters between Chamberlain and Jabbar, and Chamberlain and Russell. If he was so damn dominant why do his closest contemporaries and rivals have better winning records? In 16 seasons, Wilt only managed to win two rings whereas Russell won 11 titles in 13 seasons and Jabbar won 6 rings in 20 seasons. Let's also remember just how small the league was in those days. One would think that a truly phenomenal freak center would have fared a little bit better. What I remember of Wilt towards the end was an almost freakishly scared to be fouled athlete ala Ben Simmons last season that would alternately shoot underhand, overhand to the side of the line or actually stradling the top of the circle shooting the ball two hand between the legs.

Regardless what you want to believe or argue, it was a truly different game back then, played over more minutes and with more laissez faire officiating. I remember when Earl the Pearl Monroe came along, because until that time a guard that could penetrate and finish among the trees was unheard of. He and Nate the Skate Archibald ushered in a new era with better ball skills and quicker more athletic players IMO. Comparing the players of that era in terms of accomplishments is almost like apples and oranges - very difficult to do.

And for the record, please don't try to tell me what I can and can't say on this forum, you're no more of an authority than I am.
Great post.

Sent from my SM-G986U using JazzFanz mobile app

How about The Slim Reaper or I guess if you wanted to stick with the word play from Barkley's nickname, the The Slim Reaper of Rebound
Um, Durant is called the slim reaper. And you just got 1000 points of demotion for likening Gobert with Durant.

Here’s a fun excercise that I like to do. Head to Basketball Reference’s Stat Leaders page here. Click on “expand leaderboard”. There are 50 different stat leaderboards on this page, that display the top 20 in each statistic. Go ahead and use the search/find tool (Ctrl + F) and type in Rudy Gobert. Voila!! Rudy is found on 29 out of 50 individual stat leader boards. Not only is he in the top 10, he’s top three in the following categories: total rebounds, rebounds per game, defensive rebounds, blocks, blocks per game, field goal pct, eFG, True shooting percentage, free-throw attempts, win shares, off/def win shares, offensive/defensive rating, and reb %. Go ahead and try that same exercise for the other MVP candidates. The only one who has more than Rudy, is Giannis, who has 30.