What's new

Rumor that Quin could replace Popovich when he retires

Pure speculation but the more I see the more I think Quin and DL were fine. Smith and DL were not. Smith wants to be the ultimate basketball expert and DL was used to working with the Millers.
one of the Jazz beat reporters wrote that when DL walked the plank that he and Quin had not been communicating for months. That sounds to me like a healthy workplace.

Pure speculation but the more I see the more I think Quin and DL were fine. Smith and DL were not. Smith wants to be the ultimate basketball expert and DL was used to working with the Millers.
I don't think Quin and DL were fine... there was enough reporting there to know that wasn't working well. Smith likely is meddling...

I think Quin and DL have some of the same issues though.... they are too married to good and what they know. You have to keep taking fairly big swings to win a title. Quin putting a karate chop on an Ingles deal and DL going back to Favs are kind of the death knells to us being able to make the move we needed to. Quin has been a little too rigid over the years imo.

I don't think Quin and DL were fine... there was enough reporting there to know that wasn't working well. Smith likely is meddling...

I think Quin and DL have some of the same issues though.... they are too married to good and what they know. You have to keep taking fairly big swings to win a title. Quin putting a karate chop on an Ingles deal and DL going back to Favs are kind of the death knells to us being able to make the move we needed to. Quin has been a little too rigid over the years imo.

In fairness to Quin, Ingles was coming off the best season of his career and there was no way anyone could've predicted he would decline so much this season. I think the deal they were going to make in the summer was probably very similar to the deal they ended up making at the deadline anyway...likely just a money saving move that would've landed us a young developmental project that wouldn't have been in the rotation this season and may or may not be able to contribute in the future. The big rumor in the offseason was a deal that involved Moses Moody, Paschall and Looney for Joe. If I'm Quin and I think my team has a chance to compete for a championship this season, I would've chose Joe over Moody too.

In fairness to Quin, Ingles was coming off the best season of his career and there was no way anyone could've predicted he would decline so much this season. I think the deal they were going to make in the summer was probably very similar to the deal they ended up making at the deadline anyway...likely just a money saving move that would've landed us a young developmental project that wouldn't have been in the rotation this season and may or may not be able to contribute in the future. The big rumor in the offseason was a deal that involved Moses Moody, Paschall and Looney for Joe. If I'm Quin and I think my team has a chance to compete for a championship this season, I would've chose Joe over Moody too.
And I get that... kind of. If the deal was the GS deal then its one you have to take imo. That deal isn't like the NAW deal at all. It would have provided a much needed infusion of athleticism and youth with a good glue guy backup center... and Paschall who we end up getting. And that is the type of swing I'm saying you have to take... Hope Moody (or whoever you draft) is the next great mid first steal that blossoms quickly and changes the trajectory of the team a bit. It likely doesn't work out... but you have to adjust your risk tolerance if you want to get to the highest levels.

Coaches also shouldn't be killing deals.

If the deal was more like the NAW deal then of course its a huge thumbs down. That trade sucks *** and Joe was declared out for the year... so we theoretically traded nothing with on court value.

Marc Stein now says in addition to the Spurs, he's hearing Snyders name linked to the Lakers as well.

Can somebody please explain the double Terry Stotts sighting (Milwaukee and then LA Clippers) right after this rumor came out? I mean I saw him plain as day sitting next to Boris Diaw during the Clipper's game. Just a night out on the town for two old friends? (did Boris even play for Stotts?). I mean, is he the contingency plan or is there something else going on? I can't imagine that Ryan Smith is considering him for an asisstant coach position at his pay scale. It's some strange convergance like the giant winged creatures, UFO sightings and the appearance of Men in Black from the Mothman Prophecies! The suspense is killing me!:eek:

Can somebody please explain the double Terry Stotts sighting (Milwaukee and then LA Clippers) right after this rumor came out? I mean I saw him plain as day sitting next to Boris Diaw during the Clipper's game. Just a night out on the town for two old friends? (did Boris even play for Stotts?). I mean, is he the contingency plan or is there something else going on? I can't imagine that Ryan Smith is considering him for an asisstant coach position at his pay scale. It's some strange convergance like the giant winged creatures, UFO sightings and the appearance of Men in Black from the Mothman Prophecies! The suspense is killing me!:eek:

Is this photo from NY?

I always thought Stotts looked like he could be Joe’s dad. Funny that we trade Joe to Portland and immediately start hanging around with Stotts. Maybe it’s about balance in the universe.

Also I’d be curious what Ben means by “traveling with” the Jazz, if it means anything at all. He’s wearing a backpack and is by a bus.

Is this photo from NY?

I always thought Stotts looked like he could be Joe’s dad. Funny that we trade Joe to Portland and immediately start hanging around with Stotts. Maybe it’s about balance in the universe.

Also I’d be curious what Ben means by “traveling with” the Jazz, if it means anything at all. He’s wearing a backpack and is by a bus.

Yes, that pic was taken outside the team bus in NY.

Last edited:
Yes, that pick was taken outside the team bus in NY.
Has anyone said what is going on here? If it was just a couple week consulting gig like Thibideau did then you think they'd just say it. If he is here to be a Quin replacement it is odd to have him around now.

Has anyone said what is going on here? If it was just a couple week consulting gig like Thibideau did then you think they'd just say it. If he is here to be a Quin replacement it is odd to have him around now.

Haven't heard anything from any of the beat writers or Locke, or anyone really. Like you said, if he's a potential Quin replacement then it's really strange to have him around while Quin is still coaching the team.

I’m praying this is because the FO, Quin, and Ryan all read my off-season splash thread about Quin hiring a vet.

I’m praying this is because the FO, Quin, and Ryan all read my off-season splash thread about Quin hiring a vet.
Would be hilarious especially because we have picked up our play recently. I think there is some smoke to the rumors of Quin in either SA or LA. Hopefully if it goes down we can get some compensation... think he has a year left... maybe more. I like Stotts as an addition either way.

Would be hilarious especially because we have picked up our play recently. I think there is some smoke to the rumors of Quin in either SA or LA. Hopefully if it goes down we can get some compensation... think he has a year left... maybe more. I like Stotts as an addition either way.
If Quin presumably wanted to leave here because Ainge is top dog, wonder how he’d like being a CINO in LA.

If Quin presumably wanted to leave here because Ainge is top dog, wonder how he’d like being a CINO in LA.
I think its most likely SA. I wouldn't be completely shocked if all the key individuals and organizations have an understanding of it happening... it would be weird but I could see it I guess.

I think its most likely SA. I wouldn't be completely shocked if all the key individuals and organizations have an understanding of it happening... it would be weird but I could see it I guess.
If he did, it would be an interesting repeat of DL where post hoc all media will be “oh yeah, he was totally checked out and everyone knew this” but would provide cover (intentional or otherwise [mostly otherwise]) in the midst of it.

If he goes to Lakers it will be because they gave him an outrageous contract he could not refuse
They are actually kind of frugal... especially for the market.

Anyone know Quins contract details? I think we could also extract something from the acquirer since he is under contract for another year or two.

Part of this might be Quin negotiating in the media. Get a big extension to keep away all these teams frothing out they mouf for him. Danny may also not be the biggest fan so maybe he sees more security elsewhere.

If he did, it would be an interesting repeat of DL where post hoc all media will be “oh yeah, he was totally checked out and everyone knew this” but would provide cover (intentional or otherwise [mostly otherwise]) in the midst of it.
Would also be funny to see some guys pivot from "Quin is a top 5 coach and they won't get anyone better" to "Quin couldn't get it done and had really stagnated so they brought a guy in with X experience".