What's new

Rumor that Quin could replace Popovich when he retires

They are actually kind of frugal... especially for the market.

Anyone know Quins contract details? I think we could also extract something from the acquirer since he is under contract for another year or two.

Part of this might be Quin negotiating in the media. Get a big extension to keep away all these teams frothing out they mouf for him. Danny may also not be the biggest fan so maybe he sees more security elsewhere.
Also Vogel has one more year left on his deal... so the penny pinching lakers would be paying two coaches. They just gonna let Bronny coach the team.

From Andy Larsen's Tripple Team article, about Terry Stotts:

I’ve had a lot of Jazz fans ask me about the appearance of former Portland coach Terry Stotts at the Jazz’s last home game against the Clippers. He sat next to Jazz GM Justin Zanik, assistant coach Mike Wells, and French legend Boris Diaw. Here’s picture proof, if you’d like it:

He’s also in New York with the team.

Here’s the deal, according to team PR: Stotts is here as guest of the organization. The situation, they say, is similar to that of Tom Thibodeau, Tom Crean, or Frank Vogel visiting the team in recent years. Those guys, and Stotts, all were let go by their teams and then have some extra time in their careers. They basically hang around Jazz practice, watch how the Jazz operate, and sometimes have conversations with the coaching staff about various basketball ideas that may or may not be helpful to Snyder.

I remember talking to Snyder about Thibodeau when he was a visiting coach in 2015, and he called Thibs the “Dean of All Defense” then. He said Thibs was providing the Jazz “some ideas, some thoughts, and some coaching,” but mostly, it was about doing right by a guy well-thought of in the organization. I don’t think, with Stotts, it’s a job interview for an actual role with the team, I think it’s just casually visiting.

It was cool seeing Stotts around some of his former Blazers players during the Clippers game (remember the big trade between the two teams at the deadline). He’s clearly well liked and respected, and even in my interactions with him, I’ve always had a positive impression.

202f8caa0da8412023e1527a579b2037.jpg

I don’t remember Thibbs or Vogel coming. And I had to look up WTF Crean is.

I vaguely remember Thibbs sitting next to Sloan at a game during Snyders first or second season. I don't remember Vogel being at any games, and I too had to look up Crean because I had no idea who the hell he was.

I vaguely remember Thibbs sitting next to Sloan at a game during Snyders first or second season. I don't remember Vogel being at any games, and I too had to look up Crean because I had no idea who the hell he was.
How many hot women were in this memory?

Has anyone said what is going on here? If it was just a couple week consulting gig like Thibideau did then you think they'd just say it. If he is here to be a Quin replacement it is odd to have him around now.
Unless Quin is moving elsewhere of his own accord and it is a courtesy thing, like giving your notice so you can help train your replacement when you leave a job. Who knows? I did see another rumor that Quin is a top candidate for the Lakers next coach.

I would be happy to see Quin move on. He is a good coach, but things have just gotten stale with Utah. Doing the same things over and over regardless of outcome, making up your mind about certain players despite what happens on the court.

I’ve said this already but will keep repeating: no championship-winning coach in NBA history has ever taken this long into their tenure to win their first title. I usually happens in a coaches first three years. The only current coaches in the league with longer tenures right now are Pop, Spoelstra, and Kerr. What do they all have in common? At least three championships and five finals appearances, the firsts of which occurred early in their tenure.

The Jazz need more then a coaching change, but that would be start. And it would probably be good for Quin too.

I don’t remember Thibbs or Vogel coming. And I had to look up WTF Crean is.

You guys seriously don’t know who Tom Crean is? Lol

You guys seriously don’t know who Tom Crean is? Lol
I had to look him up and saw that he's obviously a well-known college coach. I could have played it off like I knew who that was but, no, I absolutely do not follow any college sports (or any other sports at all outside of the NBA).

I had to look him up and saw that he's obviously a well-known college coach. I could have played it off like I knew who that was but, no, I absolutely do not follow any college sports (or any other sports at all outside of the NBA).
This. But I didn't care enough to look it up, so thank you.

Yeah I looked it up and was like yep doesn't ring a bell.

Snyder spoke to the Salt Lake Tribune about these rumors. He didn't exactly close the door to leaving with these comments. Also interesting that the Jazz have been unsuccessful in extending his contract.

“To be honest, having to address this type of question in any form, in my view, is disrespectful to the teams that are mentioned themselves,” Snyder said. “I think specifically, these types of discussions are also disrespectful to coaches. And I love the guys that I coach. I love these players. And frankly, my focus is on our guys and our team. And as I said, addressing hypotheticals in these types of questions in any form I feel like is disrespectful. And that’s how I would characterize that.”

The biggest reason to question the future pairing of Snyder and the Jazz is a key line in Stein’s piece: “NBA coaching sources nonetheless insist that Utah has been unsuccessful in its attempts to extend Snyder’s contract.” In particular, Snyder received a contract extension in 2019-20, but terms of that deal were not released then, so it’s unclear how many years he has left on his deal. Stein reported that Snyder is not believed to be a free agent this upcoming summer.

On Wednesday, Snyder declined to discuss his contractual status.

“I’ve never talked about my contract from day one, and I’m not going to,” he said. “That’s not something that I’m going to comment on now, nor at any point in the future. That’s not something that the Jazz have done. I personally don’t want to or believe in getting into public contract discussions.”

He did, however, want to talk about how the Jazz have treated him over the years.

“I think the fact that I’ve been here eight years speaks in and of itself. And I’ve been lucky to have been a part of an organization that has been supportive of coaches, generally and of me in particular,” Snyder said. “And I’m grateful for [new Jazz owner Ryan Smith]. He’s doing some terrific things with the franchise and has a vision for how it can continue to grow. My tenure here has obviously — eight years again — you know, it speaks to the situation and I think I’m proud of what we have had an opportunity to build. That’s coaches, players, management and ownership — everybody.”

Snyder’s been the largest figure in building this current Jazz core, with key positive relationships with Mitchell and Gobert. Snyder believed in Gobert to become a starting NBA center when few did, even after a season in which he rarely played under previous head coach Ty Corbin. Meanwhile, Snyder handed the keys to the Jazz’s offense almost immediately in Mitchell’s rookie season, trusting the No. 13 pick to lead a playoff team.

Snyder, meanwhile, is also grateful for his time in Utah.

“I’ve just felt, you know, embraced and supported by this community. And I’m really appreciative of that support throughout the course of eight years,” he said. “I don’t know if you can tell coach’s years in dog years, but it works something like that.”

Snyder spoke to the Salt Lake Tribune about these rumors. He didn't exactly close the door to leaving with these comments. Also interesting that the Jazz have been unsuccessful in extending his contract.
This forum needs an oneye poster giving us a blow-by-blow update of every particular about Quin sending out vibes that he wants to leave.