What's new

Ryan Smith Will Run This Team Into the Ground Then Sell

Jazzman12

Over our entire franchise history, we have been an odd ball in the league. Players have refused playing for us. People have bashed us. Some have mocked us. We have contended for two seasons, but our stars of that era weren't the type guys to bring us tons of fanfare and popularity.

I have faith that Ryan, Dwayne Wade and company will make us a more desirable location. They can't make us "cool", but they can make us less "undesirable". If we could just be made to be considered "just another place", Ryan has made great strides for the franchise.

So no Cy, I don't believe Ryan is going to grind us down then sell us. I think he's going to give us more personality, more likability, and improve our brand for everybody. That's a good thing.
While I still believe this about Ryan Smith, I feel more shaky about it than I did 4 or 5 months ago. I do think that Ryan cares deeply about how this franchise and state are perceived and I do think that his intentions are pure. At the same time, I see moves like bringing in a guy like Danny Ainge, who’s career appeared to be at the end of the road and who doesn’t seem to be well liked across the league, and it puzzles me. When Danny was exiting Boston, he made some extremely tone deaf comments in regards to the role race plays in Boston sports and it upset a lot of players. Hiring him to run your basketball operations seems to run counterproductive to the very change you’re trying to implement here in Utah. I understand that Ryan has some very deep roots with BYU, but I worry that he’s trying to serve two masters.

Saint Cy of JFC

While I still believe this about Ryan Smith, I feel more shaky about it than I did 4 or 5 months ago. I do think that Ryan cares deeply about how this franchise and state are perceived and I do think that his intentions are pure. At the same time, I see moves like bringing in a guy like Danny Ainge, who’s career appeared to be at the end of the road and who doesn’t seem to be well liked across the league, and it puzzles me. When Danny was exiting Boston, he made some extremely tone deaf comments in regards to the role race plays in Boston sports and it upset a lot of players. Hiring him to run your basketball operations seems to run counterproductive to the very change you’re trying to implement here in Utah. I understand that Ryan has some very deep roots with BYU, but I worry that he’s trying to serve two masters.
Yup, thread might be hyperbolic, but the Jazz are in a very dangerous position for the long-term health of their franchise.

green

I was told that Ainge was brought in because of Mitchell. Utah knows they have Mitchell for this year and maybe next and that's it. Utah feels that Mitchell may want out this summer and they wanted someone experienced in moving a player like Mitchell.

I, personally, think hiring Ainge was a mistake, but that was the reasoning.

green

Yup, thread might be hyperbolic, but the Jazz are in a very dangerous position for the long-term health of their franchise.
There is so much truth to this. For example, Utah is at the bottom of the league in TV revenue. LA, Philly, NY, Chicago, etc all bring in over 100 million a year in tv money. Most other teams are well over 50 million. Utah is about 20 million. They are behind the money ball by a large margin.

slc

I was told that Ainge was brought in because of Mitchell. Utah knows they have Mitchell for this year and maybe next and that's it. Utah feels that Mitchell may want out this summer and they wanted someone experienced in moving a player like Mitchell.

I, personally, think hiring Ainge was a mistake, but that was the reasoning.
Knicks already sound like they will go after Donovan before next season
If Donovan really wants to go to Knicks Ainge needs to make the price very high like the other all stars who have been traded

The Fresh Prince

First Yuta Watanabe and now this.

My mans smokin that Ryan Smith richboy pack. Must got the best of the best reefer in Utah.

fallenchicken

It is his new billion dollar toy. He is playing with it like a kid putting stickers on his GI Joe trucks. Gotta make it look cool! Pew pew!! It can shoot!! Look out Cobra!! Maybe he is Sid from Toy Story. Break his toys apart and create horrific new versions of them with their random parts. Doesn't matter if it works as intended, it will be SO...FREAKING...COOL!!!

Seriously get a weird jr high vibe from him and what he is doing with the franchise. Strange. I guess in my 50's I am just getting old and not in touch with these young 40 year old whippersnappers.

And by the way, that Sid kid was a complete psychopath and needed outside help. I mean, damn!
What has he done that makes you feel like he's playing with the team like a toy? What has he done to make you post this lol.

the stuff you read on this site. Just unhinged stuff.

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
why would DM go to NY? that team is a contender?
If he wants to go to NY I’m not sure he’s the guy that can lead us to a title. NY is a **** show still. Going to NY means he gets around 40ish wins a year and has a good playoff series or two. Especially since they will have to gut their team and future draft assets to get him.

LoPo

If he wants to go to NY I’m not sure he’s the guy that can lead us to a title. NY is a **** show still. Going to NY means he gets around 40ish wins a year and has a good playoff series or two. Especially since they will have to gut their team and future draft assets to get him.
With Dolan, NY will always be an interesting, uneasy scenario. But let's just jump down the rabbit hole just a minute.

Let's just say we trade Donovan to NY. And let's just say it's something like...

Fournier and anybody else on their roster we want (Barrett, Reddish, etc) plus NY's 2022 1st, Dallas' 2023 1st, NY's 2024 1st and maybe another future 1st
for
Donovan

In addition to getting all the draft assets possible, we look to get completely out of the luxury for the coming season.

As for the Knicks with Donovan, I don't think it's all gloom and doom. They lose draft capital, but they suck drafting anyway. Donovan would be the best young player to build around that they have had since Allan Houston. With Donovan there, who knows who they attract in free agency. Jaylen Brown and Donovan are really close, and Jaylen is an unrestricted free agent in 2023.

I really hope this doesn't happen regardless.

Jazzman12

With Dolan, NY will always be an interesting, uneasy scenario. But let's just jump down the rabbit hole just a minute.

Let's just say we trade Donovan to NY. And let's just say it's something like...

Fournier and anybody else on their roster we want (Barrett, Reddish, etc) plus NY's 2022 1st, Dallas' 2023 1st, NY's 2024 1st and maybe another future 1st
for
Donovan

In addition to getting all the draft assets possible, we look to get completely out of the luxury for the coming season.

As for the Knicks with Donovan, I don't think it's all gloom and doom. They lose draft capital, but they suck drafting anyway. Donovan would be the best young player to build around that they have had since Allan Houston. With Donovan there, who knows who they attract in free agency. Jaylen Brown and Donovan are really close, and Jaylen is an unrestricted free agent in 2023.

I really hope this doesn't happen regardless.
I like Donovan, and while I’d much rather have it work out with him here, if you’re telling me we could have Fournier, Barrett (or Reddish), and 3 to 4 first round picks, I’m hard pressed not to think the Jazz come out wayyyy ahead in that scenario. But they’ve gotta hit on one or two of those picks for that to be the case.