What's new

say NO to EXUM. the biggest bust since darko.

Elfrid Payton had the Orlando starting PG job handed to him on a platter and the Magic FO decided that they would rather go with DJ Augustin in the starting role, and they traded him to another PG deficient team in the Suns for nothing more than a 2nd round pick. Payton was then unable to land a new contract with the worst team in the West playing the position they had a real need in, and went with a 1 year minimum deal with NOLA. The most notable thing Payton has done in the NBA was get a haircut.

That really should tell you all you need to know about Payton.

The most notable thing Payton has done in the NBA was get a haircut.

So you do not remember him dropping 28,9,9 on Jazz two years ago? Or a couple tripple doubles last season? When did Exum had any box score resembling anything close like that? I just can't believe how you guys judge player by whatever stupid moves some teams FO makes.

So you do not remember him dropping 28,9,9 on Jazz two years ago? Or a couple tripple doubles last season? When did Exum had any box score resembling anything close like that? I just can't believe how you guys judge player by whatever stupid moves some teams FO makes.

I actually think Payton has shown more as an NBA player. He's had a much better opportunity and career path than Exum so I don't know if I think he's a better player or has a better future. He also has a lot of holes in his game (as does Exum at this point). I think you are probably talking about what he's actually done, which is a fair point, imo. I think if a team got Exum they would do so because they think there is untapped potential, or they would disagree with you that he doesn't have some elite skills that might give him a higher ceiling than Elfrid. No matter your opinion you have to admit that he hasn't really had a great chance to develop on the court.

I don't think the Suns would want Exum, though. From my recollection Igor (Locke's main source of info and buddy) wasn't very high on Dante. He doesn't make the decisions there, but I'm sure he has some input.

Last edited:
Reactions: MVP
. No matter your opinion you have to admit that he hasn't really had a great chance to develop on the court.

He started as a rookie for half the season and had plenty of time on the court.... yet produced historically worst season by any player with that amount of minutes. But, yes, I agree he had no chance to develop properly because he rushed to cash in his hype in NBA and declared for draft way too early. Had he gone to college for at least a year or two his career would be different in my opinion.

He also has a lot of holes in his game (as does Exum at this point)..
They both do not shoot the ball well, although Dante at least makes his FT at good %. Payton though is much stronger, better passer and rebounder and averages 1.2 stl more per game. Exum has advantage in quickness and length. I would still take Payton over Exum at this point as he at least has proven that he can run NBA offence successfully. With Exum you just never know what you will get. He is just to unreliable.

He started as a rookie for half the season and had plenty of time on the court.... yet produced historically worst season by any player with that amount of minutes. But, yes, I agree he had no chance to develop properly because he rushed to cash in his hype in NBA and declared for draft way too early. Had he gone to college for at least a year or two his career would be different in my opinion.
What?

If he had gone to college, he still plays for Australia the following summer and tears his ACL. And college is not a great place for all players to develop. His career would have been much worse.

You have rocks in your head

What?

If he had gone to college, he still plays for Australia the following summer and tears his ACL. And college is not a great place for all players to develop. His career would have been much worse.
There is no way you can say he would have tore his ACL playing for Australia had he gone to college instead of NBA... But I believe playing in college would have done wonders for his overall basketball growth compared to being thrown into NBA where he was not ready neither physically nor mentally. The one good thing happened from going to NBA - he got financial security, that I am not arguing about.

Does MVP have some of the worst takes on here?
ha, they may not be the most popular amongst Exum homers ( Jazz, tragic, magic utahjazzz and all other alts are on ignore so I do not need to worry about reading their crap anymore) but they for sure are not the worst. Please provide arguments against anything I said and we can have normal discussion about it.

There is no way you can say he would have tore his ACL playing for Australia had he gone to college instead of NBA... But I believe playing in college would have done wonders for his overall basketball growth compared to being thrown into NBA where he was not ready neither physically nor mentally. The one good thing happened from going to NBA - he got financial security, that I am not arguing about.
What makes you say that? Genuine question as I am completely unfamiliar with how college athletes/NCAA work but if there are no college restrictions on his ability to play for international teams then he was going to be playing for the Boomers regardless of whether or not he was in the NBA as the Boomers were getting ready for the 2016 olympic campaign and Exum was absolutely going to be a factor in that.

ha, they may not be the most popular amongst Exum homers ( Jazz, tragic, magic utahjazzz and all other alts are on ignore so I do not need to worry about reading their crap anymore) but they for sure are not the worst. Please provide arguments against anything I said and we can have normal discussion about it.

The smartest thing he has done is nominate for the draft. What if he in fact did tear his ACL playing for Australia whilst in college. If you are nominated to go high in the draft then you go. Number 5 pick, much more lucrative. Also, what if he didn't play well in college, there's no chance he would be a lottery pick. By nominating, he has been paid large some of money over his rookie contract, followed up by 33mil(potentially) over the next three years, and he has set himself up. He has also had a massive crash course in trying to get experience in the NBA, but the Jazz org evidently believes in him, regardless of what others might think, whether his good enough, or whether he has been mishandled somewhat or not. The Jazz believe in him.

The smartest thing he has done is nominate for the draft. What if he in fact did tear his ACL playing for Australia whilst in college. If you are nominated to go high in the draft then you go. Number 5 pick, much more lucrative. Also, what if he didn't play well in college, there's no chance he would be a lottery pick. By nominating, he has been paid large some of money over his rookie contract, followed up by 33mil(potentially) over the next three years, and he has set himself up. He has also had a massive crash course in trying to get experience in the NBA, but the Jazz org evidently believes in him, regardless of what others might think, whether his good enough, or whether he has been mishandled somewhat or not. The Jazz believe in him.
Money wise - absolutely he did the right thing. And I agree, there is no way he would have been drafted that high after playing in college, but for the end financial result it may not matter... Some international players with huge hype get exposed in college and that hurts their draft position ( Koufos for example). But as far as basketball development I believe it would have done wonders for him playing without much pressure, letting his body mature and prepare better for NBA. Look at Sabonis for example. He spend two years in college under the great coach as advised by his HOF father ( Senior Sabonis knew first hand what it takes to play in NBA). He got drafted 11th ( so still pretty good) and now in his third year he is already one of the main candidates for 6th man of the year and posting amazing efficiency numbers for todays big man. And after his rookie contract will be over he will cash in much better than Exum guaranteed. Maybe that's how Exum path would have developed - nobody knows, it is just speculation.

What makes you say that? Genuine question as I am completely unfamiliar with how college athletes/NCAA work but if there are no college restrictions on his ability to play for international teams then he was going to be playing for the Boomers regardless of whether or not he was in the NBA as the Boomers were getting ready for the 2016 olympic campaign and Exum was absolutely going to be a factor in that.
It is not about restrictions. Its about different schedule, less demanding traveling, less dangerous games playing against your age players vs playing vs strongest, most intimidating athletes in the world. I think his body would be less damaged/exhausted had he played in college instead of NBA and be more ready for summer games. Again, it is just speculation, maybe his knee was doomed right from the get go and nothing would have changed. There is just no way knowing that.

I think comparing Dante's career path and situation to other players is probably a bit unfair because his path is potentially as unique as it gets.

I absolutely think that getting Dante as a 19 year old into the Jazz system was the right thing to do. Major setbacks for him have derailed that for almost 2 whole seasons. But there's no doubt that I think it was good for him.

It is not about restrictions. Its about different schedule, less demanding traveling, less dangerous games playing against your age players vs playing vs strongest, most intimidating athletes in the world. I think his body would be less damaged/exhausted had he played in college instead of NBA and be more ready for summer games. Again, it is just speculation, maybe his knee was doomed right from the get go and nothing would have changed. There is just no way knowing that.
I mean if he had been battling nagging injuries all season long and then it happened I could see it, but to me it's just one of those freak accidents where a player looked like he did nothing out of the ordinary and his knee just gave way since it was a non-contact injury. I just struggle to believe that playing a full NBA season was causation for his ACL blowing out a few months later on a non-contact move.

As a pro, he has 24/7 access to some of the best coaches, trainers, and staff in the world with no time or monetary limitations that college brings upon a player.

In no way, would college help his growth more than pro ball would and has.

As a pro, he has 24/7 access to some of the best coaches, trainers, and staff in the world with no time or monetary limitations that college brings upon a player.

In no way, would college help his growth more than pro ball would and has.

Yep.