What's new

Sensabaugh and Hendricks watch thread in gleague

I think Keyonte gained experience (at least with speed of the game) and a lot of confidence playing in summer league and practicing with the team. Practicing and playing would have done Hendricks some good, regardless of the quality level of summer league.

I don't get it. What do you really learn in Summer League? It's a terrible, barely organized brand of basketball.

I guess the coach was just being polite.
there is no question that the way Keyonte played in SL helped put him in a position to get significant minutes in preseason which led to him getting some rotation minutes in the regular season. had hendricks or sensabaugh dominated SL, while Keyonte sat out, we'd likely be seeing them right now, while Key languishes in the g league.

Yeah I think some are being purposely narrow sited and ignoring a few facts.

Like all 3 rookies had several players ahead of them in order to see the floor, Keyonte's play in summer league led to the coaches trusting him more to get time in preseason, which led to them trying to find minutes for him into the regular season. Which after the first 8-10 games when the guards were turning it over at a break neck pace, that led the way to Keyonte to get more minutes and now a starting role.

Who's to say Bryce or Taylor would've played well enough in the Summer League to get on that same path but that doesn't change that Collins and Lauri will eat almost all of the PF minutes and Ochai and JC have been getting the left over SF minutes.

Now if some of these same posters would word their posts in not such extremes and absolutes they probably wouldn't get the push back from some of the other posters, but then what is the fun in that. If they worded it something like, Hendricks hasn't lived up to expectations or MY expectations SO FAR and has been a little disappointing that his LIMITED time so far in the GLeague hasn't been good enough to force the coaching staff to get NBA minutes.

I'll be the first one to tell you I was dead wrong about him, but so were others. He is a lot further behind than I expect, it is what is. I don't get this trend of policing people for saying opinions. Yeah, I was fooled by all the predraft hype. I agreed with those who saw an easy path for him contribute and that as a miscall.....specifically his defense. The "venom" is simply stating I had higher expectations for him.

So yeah, I guess I could pretend that I never had expectations if it makes you feel better. But I'd rather just call it how it is.
Fair.

Ok where do I start.

Where do you all get 14 games into the season? Brice and Taylor are playing in the gleague. That is what 3 or 4 games in? They are not playing in the NBA so those games can't be counted.

Taylor has some promise but I was a little disappointed in his basketball IQ but physically he has the tools. My biggest question is does he have the desire? He seems to passive and that scares me. I am NOT writing him off but I want to see more fire.

Brice can be very good and has the potential to be microwave scorer. I did like the effort he seemed to be giving. Ultimately it will come down to his defensive IQ on where he goes consitency will be his other issue.

Like all 3 rookies had several players ahead of them in order to see the floor, Keyonte's play in summer league led to the coaches trusting him more to get time in preseason, which led to them trying to find minutes for him into the regular season. Which after the first 8-10 games when the guards were turning it over at a break neck pace, that led the way to Keyonte to get more minutes and now a starting role.

Who's to say Bryce or Taylor would've played well enough in the Summer League to get on that same path but that doesn't change that Collins and Lauri will eat almost all of the PF minutes and Ochai and JC have been getting the left over SF minutes.

Now if some of these same posters would word their posts in not such extremes and absolutes they probably wouldn't get the push back from some of the other posters, but then what is the fun in that. If they worded it something like, Hendricks hasn't lived up to expectations or MY expectations SO FAR and has been a little disappointing that his LIMITED time so far in the GLeague hasn't been good enough to force the coaching staff to get NBA minutes.
The SL thing is just flat out BS. If Hendricks had a major injury I would buy this more, but it wasn't a major injury. The Jazz were saying that it was no biggie and they could have played if it was an important game type thing.

Hendricks had plenty of moments to prove himself worthy. Keyonte is proving himself in practice or he wouldn't be put in these moments.

Here's my positive spin:

Hendricks is clearly a reserved dude. I think his struggles are somewhat due to him just not being comfortable. He also has weak body language on the court, like a dog with his tail between his legs. Keyonte is the opposite. When I watched his draft day interviews prior to getting drafted he was the cockiest sob I have ever heard do those interviews to an almost sickening degree. He has moxy. He's got cajones. Hendricks just needs his balls to drop. He also needs to learn to play basketball but I think just being a year older, stronger and more confident will help him see the court and do a lot for him.

Given how mediocre Hendricks has looked in preseason and GLeague games, for all we know he could have inspired even less confidence in SL. He just isn't NBA ready. Walker Kessler did fine his rookie year without a SL.

The Jazz don't want to serve raw chicken and contaminate the rest of the ingredients. They are marinating him right now.

Back to back good measured critical posts about hendricks by Cy. No hating to be seen. Well done.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

I just have never got the kind of dude who logs into a fan site to constantly **** on a 19 year old rookie. I have a son that age. I guess that changes my viewpoint.

However, if I wander to the cesspool that is the political subs and see these same people post there, and it makes a little more sense. .
Who are you referring to? C'mon, call em out.

Sent from my SM-G986U using JazzFanz mobile app

What is there to lose?

Our defense already sucks monkey balls and we're literally starting some guys who get straight up hunted by other teams. Plus, we have a big on the roster who may be the best rim protector now that Kessler is out (Yurt7) , and he can't get on the court.

The way I see it, Hendricks would fit right in.
We are playing way too well for Hendricks. He would be a in the headlights.

Sent from my SM-G986U using JazzFanz mobile app

Personally, I see it the other way. Any sort of criticism towards Hendricks is seen as a full condemnation of him. I try to make it a point to say “he’s not doomed” or something along those lines in all of my posts, but they are still taken as me writing off the kid. I also make it a point to say it’s my expectations he’s fallen short of, just as you said. Still, I am met with over dramatic responses who act as if I’m the one talking in absolutes.

The SL thing is just flat out BS. If Hendricks had a major injury I would buy this more, but it wasn't a major injury. The Jazz were saying that it was no biggie and they could have played if it was an important game type thing.

Hendricks had plenty of moments to prove himself worthy. Keyonte is proving himself in practice or he wouldn't be put in these moments.

Here's my positive spin:

Hendricks is clearly a reserved dude. I think his struggles are somewhat due to him just not being comfortable. He also has weak body language on the court, like a dog with his tail between his legs. Keyonte is the opposite. When I watched his draft day interviews prior to getting drafted he was the cockiest sob I have ever heard do those interviews to an almost sickening degree. He has moxy. He's got cajones. Hendricks just needs his balls to drop. He also needs to learn to play basketball but I think just being a year older, stronger and more confident will help him see the court and do a lot for him.

Hendricks will gain confidence with experience and getting better….but the question is, how much? As cliche as it is, I think there is some truth to having the “it factor” or “got that dawg in him”. Some of this can be developed but to some degree I think you’re born with it.

The two rooks looked good in the first half as did Christopher, Potter, Juzang and Langford. Romeo had 14 points on 6 shots and Hendricks with 3 blocks.

The Stars give up 80 points in the second half and get blown out. Sensabaugh with 28 points and Hendricks with 22. The difference in the game was rebounding. The Stars got outrebounded by 30. Potter had a double double with 11 rebounds and Hendricks had 7. The second half was comically bad.

Whenever I watch highlights from the game you always catch a stray clip of Hendricks trying to dribble and it's pure comedy