What's new

Game Thread September 1, 2020: Jazz at Nuggets - Game 7

Added to Calendar: 09-01-20

I really want us to win but if it has to end, at least off season activities are quickly approaching and next season will be here faster as well.
I don't think we have a normal season at all though. Bet we get 50ish games and some of that may be in a bubble setting.

Do or die. Lose and let the overhaul begin. Probably not gonna happen but I hope it does. Even if we win, this roster needs to be shook up if we want to compete for the title
Unfortunately you are going to hear a lot of "well if we had Bojan in the playoffs" and "but Conley was injured and didn't have time to gel" and "Niang has pictures of Snyder double-teaming a goat with a furry" (well that last one we won't hear it but it can't be that far off), and so they will roll it all back.

I sincerely hope to be wrong, that we will try to make a few moves, and shore up our pathetic perimeter D, and D overall, and try to find a way to match size with size at least a little bit, but I really think the big "move" will be dropping some low level dudes to free up enough money to sign Clarkson. That is a priority imo, but it will be billed as the big win.

I want to see a study done on shooting in the bubble when this is all done. Jamal is good but this is insane. DM too.

I'm hopeful for tomorrow... I'm not fully ready for the season to be over, but I think I could get over it real quick. Been a tumultuous and strange season.
Jamal was playing for George Floyd and Brianna Taylor, they were on his sneakers. He manufactured something that worked for him. He wasn't thinking, he was just competing, like a street fight he wasn't gonna lose. He wasn't worried about what the coach would think or the other players, he was just puttin up points, he had no conscience. Something I was hoping Mitchell would do. There was one point, after he had made an impossible three and we got the rebound and instead of putting up a wide open three he dribbled into the paint and tried to bounce pass to Gobert in traffic. I'm like WTF! Still three minutes to play but I knew we were sunk after that.

I want to see a study done on shooting in the bubble when this is all done. Jamal is good but this is insane. DM too.

I'm hopeful for tomorrow... I'm not fully ready for the season to be over, but I think I could get over it real quick. Been a tumultuous and strange season.
No doubt. Murray is a career 35% 3 PT shooter and 43% FG shooter. Career 15 ppg, with 18 ppg the last 2 seasons. We are making him look better than Steph Curry could hope to be. I think it is largely a dearth of defense overall that is causing some of these outlandish performances in the bubble, definitely that is it for us. We have shown we have no one, at all, who can hang with Murray for even a 2 minute stretch, let along a whole game.

If we do not come out doubling him and taking our chances with long-range bombs from Jokic then we are cooked. We cannot stand toe to toe with what is apparently by far the greatest shooter the game has ever known. Of course playing against our pathetic D must feel like school-yard **** back when he was the kid that could run circles around everyone else. He sure looked like he was playing school-yard ball. Someone needs to knock him back to earth, otherwise, we might just see a reversal of how this series started and see Murray score 60 to end it all.

If we can get Jamal under 65% shooting from the field and if Jokic shoots less than 50% from 3 we have a chance. Gotta get Rudy involved on the offense can't have as big of an energy deficit off the bench.

If we can get Jamal under 65% shooting from the field and if Jokic shoots less than 50% from 3 we have a chance. Gotta get Rudy involved on the offense can't have as big of an energy deficit off the bench.
In other words, we have no chance.

Thank you, voice of doom.

Unfortunately you are going to hear a lot of "well if we had Bojan in the playoffs" and "but Conley was injured and didn't have time to gel" and "Niang has pictures of Snyder double-teaming a goat with a furry" (well that last one we won't hear it but it can't be that far off), and so they will roll it all back.

I sincerely hope to be wrong, that we will try to make a few moves, and shore up our pathetic perimeter D, and D overall, and try to find a way to match size with size at least a little bit, but I really think the big "move" will be dropping some low level dudes to free up enough money to sign Clarkson. That is a priority imo, but it will be billed as the big win.
Honestly unless we got a really good offer for Mike then this is the right plan.

A lot depends on Rudy's negotiations this offseason. I don't love that we've found matchups in the playoffs the last few years that cause him struggles. Not that he's "unplayable"... but that he can't really dominate or gets neutralized. Would love to see him against the Clips in a more traditional matchup. If we can't get him signed I think it becomes a full on roster pivot.

Give the youngsters some time next year... see if you can flip Ed and TB for a competent backup center. Draft someone.... we can't do worse with our role players than we did this offseason... we had to have learned something right? Can we at least have a solid pick and roll big in the second unit?

Those percentages are what they've had to shoot to beat us... they are also an incredible amount higher that their regular season performance. I'm looking for a tiny, miniscule regression to the mean to help us out in game 7.

I think Murray broke out of his shell this series. 4 great games in 6 is no fluke. It means it is not that we are playing that bad defense. He is just making shots.

It sucks it is against Jazz but, hey, if we can win this epic-Murray Nuggets series, it will be a huge psychological and confidence boost vs Clippers.

Our defense should go from good to overwhelmingly good.

Also, 2020 is the darkest timeline. She would love to get our hopes up again after a huge 3-1 lead and then watch it dashed in a Game 7 where Jamal Murray literally goes NBA Jam and shoots fiery basketballs that can't miss and literally torch the net.

We all fell into her subtle trap...

I think Murray broke out of his shell this series. 4 great games in 6 is no fluke.

It sucks it is against Jazz but, hey, if we can win this epic-Murray Nuggets series, it will be a huge psychological and confidence boost vs Clippers.
I feel comfortable saying he isn't a rich man's Steph Curry. I think he's better than his regular season averages for sure... part of this is an anomaly imo.

I feel comfortable saying he isn't a rich man's Steph Curry. I think he's better than his regular season averages for sure... part of this is an anomaly imo.
The Jazz really need to come out in the 1st quarter and make sure he gets no clean looks. He can reach flamethrower status later, but he can't be on the entire game like he has been.

Also, 2020 is the darkest timeline. She would love to get our hopes up again after a huge 3-1 lead and then watch it dashed in a Game 7 where Jamal Murray literally goes NBA Jam and shoots fiery basketballs that can't miss and literally torch the net.

We all fell into her subtle trap...
It is the darkest timeline. They all need felt goatees.

The anomaly is we cannot defend it. He is the one foot crane kick of basketball players right now.

The Jazz really need to come out in the 1st quarter and make sure he gets no clean looks. He can reach flamethrower status later, but he can't be on the entire game like he has been.
Yeah... Royce gotta earn that extension. He can do much better than he's shown... it may not make a difference if Jamal just gonna hit step backs.

I'm hoping the fact that they have been playing with no expectation and nothing to lose is part of why he's so loose and comfy... hoping maybe the expectations have shifted and he feels a little tight.

The Jazz really need to come out in the 1st quarter and make sure he gets no clean looks.
In addition to that, Jazz needs to deny him the ball. No ball, no shot. If he's going to make shots, make him run through screens just to get the ball the entire game and let us see if can still make them consistently.

A review of how Cavs prepare vs defending Curry in Finals is in order.

The anomaly is we cannot defend it. He is the one foot crane kick of basketball players right now.
There were times where we had a hand up and it was contested... he still made it... not sure what else you can do. He had one like drifting mid range pullup that he made look routine.

Look a big part of it is we suck at defense but he still has to make the shot... and dude refuses to miss.

All Jazz players should cut up a Murray head and put it over Millsap's staredown photo. Game 7 is time to correct the Murray Anomaly. Jazz will not be Murraydered again. We shall no longer be deMurraylized. After Game 7, we can Jokic other how we Grant them extra games only to tell them Morris less, you worMills ap yours.

Last edited: