What's new

Game Thread September 1, 2020: Jazz at Nuggets - Game 7

Added to Calendar: 09-01-20

Woof. How do you not win game five up 15 in the second half? They were halfway out of the damn bubble. Now I feel the opposite, I think Joe especially would love to get back to his family.

Yea, don't drink kool-aid folks. Games 2 & 3 were such a mirage. Credit to Denver I guess. But that sure as hell wasn't just the new default.

I tried to wipe the shine off as much as I could. But even I’m surprised at how heavily we’ve **** the bed.

The thing is though I dont think Grant is a very good on-ball defender. He's been getting smoked all series. He just offers good helpside defense with activity and length and has been hitting his open looks at a solid rate.

I mean, if you look at the stats Denver's defense has been markedly worse with him on the court all season and in the playoffs.

The past couple of games they’ve played Grant a little further back in the gaps and it’s made a difference. He’d be a positive influence in Utah’s defensive scheme.

The Jazz really need to come out in the 1st quarter and make sure he gets no clean looks. He can reach flamethrower status later, but he can't be on the entire game like he has been.
How do you suggest the Jazz do this? If they start Conley-Royce-Mitchell-Ingles, then I’m guessing you’d want Royce on Murray, and Mitchell guarding the SF? With Ingles on the PF? —I mean, it’s a weird idea when you see it written out like that.

Since Conley has come back Snyder has COMPLETELY abandoned playing Morgan alongside Rudy. The idea that Morgan take a few reps against Jokic while Gobert plays a Giannis-like defensive rover in the gaps is an absolutely legitimate one. If Murray is looking at a switch that puts him up against Morgan and Gobert, then he’s thinking different thoughts. And if this is happening at the same time that Mitchell and Conley aren’t playing up a position and putting the whole ****ing team at a rebounding disadvantage, then grrrrrreat.

I’ll repeat what I’ve said multiple times already: we have not had a sustained coaching bump in this series. Q has had a few moments, but the last 6 quarters have been especially horrendous. Denver laid down in game 3; clearer thoughts prevail when you remove it from your reasoning.

Last edited:
Well because Conley need to start to play alongside Mitchell/ Royce so the poor little G-leaguer Morgan have to sit and make way.

Snyder has even attempted to place Conley on the bench before and he WAS TOLD that it wasn't even an option.

JFC Quiz:

During the blowouts, how many minutes did Oni get so that maybe he could size up Murray a little bit in case that was helpful later on?

I’m so glad we dodged Houston in order to play....... Houston? I mean, what are we watching here besides a dynamic guard whom we can’t defend unless we totally contort how we do things?

Same ****. We’ve got serious problems

Remember a few days ago when I said he was overpaid and got railroaded for it?

Pepperidge Farms remembers.
I've been consistent with my views re: the current roster. Never liked the extra year given to Ingles for no reason. Never liked going after a smaller PG instead of a bigger one a la Brogdon. And I've never like the O'Neale extension. Oh, and I've never been a fan of Niang. Ever.

The best part about all of this is that we gave our "guard defensive thumper" in Royce an undeserved extension.
energy guys like Royce aren't scarce resources by any means but DL somehow managed to pick up none of them from the market or the draft, leaving us with little option but to overpay Royce because every team needs energy players.

I've been consistent with my views re: the current roster. Never liked the extra year given to Ingles for no reason. Never liked going after a smaller PG instead of a bigger one a la Brogdon. And I've never like the O'Neale extension. Oh, and I've never been a fan of Niang. Ever.
just remember, to play for DL and the Jazz, you need to fit at least one of the following three categories: soft, short and slow.

If you don't fit any of these three criteria, you either have to look to some other teams for a contract, or will see your foot out of the door pretty soon if you somehow do find yourself on the Jazz roster.

Agreed on all counts!

A player being good at perimeter defense is the helpers responsibility not the actual person who's defending.

And his minion(alt)earlier said the best way to beat Murray is to score more points than Denver.

I've learned tons about basketball today.

Last edited:
Well I have bad news fellas... Scott Foster will be our official tomorrow. We have lost both games he officiated. He is generally pretty terrible... not that he's biased just think he's not great.

Everyone just going to ignore this like they did Black Lives Matter?

"Cultural appropriation, at times also phrased cultural misappropriation, is the adoption of an element or elements of one culture or identity by members of another culture or identity. This can be controversial when members of a dominant culture appropriate from disadvantaged minority cultures.:

"Furthermore, jazz is considered an integral part of African American culture. ... Jazz music emerged out of “hot music” from New Orleans at the turn of the twentieth century and some of the structures were inherited from Africa and passed down to blacks from slavery to freedom (Dorsey, 2001)."