What's new

SL Trib Sez:

Pelton at ESPN"s statistical model has Kaminsky as the sixth best player in the draft, taking his age into account. Here's his top seven: Towns, Russell, Porzingis, Mudiay, Okafor, Myles Turner, Kaminsky, Tyus Jones, Hezonja, Winslow.

Pelton at ESPN"s statistical model has Kaminsky as the sixth best player in the draft, taking his age into account. Here's his top seven: Towns, Russell, Porzingis, Mudiay, Okafor, Myles Turner, Kaminsky, Tyus Jones, Hezonja, Winslow.

And Turner's 6. Jazz should have the option of either Turner or Kaminsky.

...hey, Johnson didn't make the list. ? -- Is Pelton reliable?

And Turner's 6. Jazz should have the option of either Turner or Kaminsky.

...hey, Johnson didn't make the list. ? -- Is Pelton reliable?

Hard to say. It's purely an analytical model where he studies patterns in players and then creates a formula that he runs players through. Not sure how successful its been, but there are similarities to the analytics that GMs run. Last year he had Wiggins at 1 and Exum at 2, for what it's worth, and that's part of the reason that he and Chad Ford are still very high on Exum's potential.

He has Johnson at 13, Dekker at 15, Oubre at 17, WCS at 18.

How did Tyus Jones get in the top 10?

The model projects him - wait for it, this is nuts - FOURTH, but Pelton knocked him down because he's so low on scout estimates.

Here's the quote:

"Jones ranks fourth in projected WARP (2.8), but his ranking on Ford's Big Board pushes him down. Scouts have good reason to question Jones' combination of small stature and non-elite athleticism, but he demonstrated en route to a national championship his strong skills and leadership. If Jones can hang with bigger foes, he'll be a steal."

Im down with frank the tank. He fills a need.

Locke made a good point in that Frank playing at 22 was dominating 18 year olds. I think he is overrated and think we should keep from him.

In case Locke hasn't heard, Frank The Tank was the college player of the year. He didn't just dominate 18 year olds.

Locke made a good point in that Frank playing at 22 was dominating 18 year olds. I think he is overrated and think we should keep from him.

He played in the Big-10 where most of the players return to school and besides D'Angelo Russell there wasn't elite freshman playing.

The real question we should be asking is which hypothetical Big 3 wins the all-important Summer League Championship?

Frank the Tank
X
Prince of Threes

vs.

Noel
Embiid
Russell

NBA is different
There is only a handful of players that dominate the NBA

And most of them can't be drafted at 12 in any given year. I wouldn't love the pick, but I wouldn't hate it either. I'd prefer to swing for the fences with a trade up. . . but that's just me.