What's new

SL Trib Sez:

Wasn't Jimmer the Naismith Player of the Year?

Trey Burke was too, right?

It's looking less and less like that is a sign of an NBA rotation player.
What about Adam Morrison doe

Also Doug mcd...hansborough....it goes on and on. That award means you will be a superstar or bust. Very little evidence of in between players when you go down the list. The busts......tend to be seniors.

You can cherry pick all you want. Anthony Davis, Blake Griffin, J.J. Redick, Andrew Bogut, Kevin Durant are all winners of that award in the past 10 years.

The jury is still out on McDermott, Burke can improve, Hansborough was a nice rotation player on Indiana for awhile. Isn't that what we expect out of Kaminsky? Especially at #12, a rotation player who contributes would be awesome.

I remember everyone keeps saying before Kanter can stretch the floor. I don't like any of them.

Some people speculated that Kanter could develop into a player that could do that. There's a difference. Frank's game is completely different from Kanter's. Maybe it is you who doesn't watch a lot of basketball. Utah wouldn't be drafting him to be a starter, but to add another dimension to our offense. Utah needs to acquire a stretch somewhere, and Frank could be a good option at 12 if he's still on the board.

It's not like Frank sucked in any of his previous 3 years playing against college competition. More especially he played well when it mattered most, completely dismantling an elite Arizona team filled with NBA players twice. All we need is 12 minutes a night spelling Gobert. Sounds like a good fit as "the worst possible option."

The arguments against Frank... He was the National Player of the Year... He dominated younger guys (this was for two years, not just one).

Tough to compare him to Ammo, Jimmer, and McBuckets because he actually played in a real basketball conference against good players. He did well against good competition as has been noted. Look at what he did against Kentucky a historic frontline by college standards... 20 pts. 11 rebs. a couple of assists and blocks and he did it on 11 shots. But they were just 18 year olds right... Oh wait WCS is 21... Dakari Johnson is 19, Trey Lyles is 19.

I just think its a bit stupid to say he was a 22 year old beating up on 18 year olds and that is why he is good. I liked Layne Vashro saying that he thinks the narrative on Seniors has gone a bit too far... and he's a numbers/analytics guy. Analytics guys generally hate older players. His model has him rated as the 7th best prospect in the draft. Its not that he put up huge numbers based on volume like some of those other guys... he was incredibly efficient. He posted a 35 PER... 35!

So stop with the "yeah he's old but he's a senior argument" on the Tank... not all seniors are the same. Guys who went to all 4 years of college... Damian Lillard, Chandler Parsons, David West, George Hill, David Lee, Draymond Green, Roy Hibbert, JJ Redick, shane battier, courtney lee. Anyway the age is a factor, but not the only determining factor when drafting a guy and that issue is a bit overblown.

People really underrate the ability to play ****ing basketball and Frank Kaminsky was the most skilled player in the NCAA last year and it wasn't that close.

The arguments against Frank... He was the National Player of the Year... He dominated younger guys (this was for two years, not just one).

Tough to compare him to Ammo, Jimmer, and McBuckets because he actually played in a real basketball conference against good players. He did well against good competition as has been noted. Look at what he did against Kentucky a historic frontline by college standards... 20 pts. 11 rebs. a couple of assists and blocks and he did it on 11 shots. But they were just 18 year olds right... Oh wait WCS is 21... Dakari Johnson is 19, Trey Lyles is 19.

I just think its a bit stupid to say he was a 22 year old beating up on 18 year olds and that is why he is good. I liked Layne Vashro saying that he thinks the narrative on Seniors has gone a bit too far... and he's a numbers/analytics guy. Analytics guys generally hate older players. His model has him rated as the 7th best prospect in the draft. Its not that he put up huge numbers based on volume like some of those other guys... he was incredibly efficient. He posted a 35 PER... 35!

So stop with the "yeah he's old but he's a senior argument" on the Tank... not all seniors are the same. Guys who went to all 4 years of college... Damian Lillard, Chandler Parsons, David West, George Hill, David Lee, Draymond Green, Roy Hibbert, JJ Redick, shane battier, courtney lee. Anyway the age is a factor, but not the only determining factor when drafting a guy and that issue is a bit overblown.

Wow, I actually didn't think of that. Jimmer played for a mid major and so did McBuckets.

People really underrate the ability to play ****ing basketball and Frank Kaminsky was the most skilled player in the NCAA last year and it wasn't that close.

This.

Its important to realize that when playing basketball its helpful to have guys who are good at playing basketball.

Wow, I actually didn't think of that. Jimmer played for a mid major and so did McBuckets.

This.

And Ammo played against **** competition too. Frank does two of the rarest things in the NBA for bigs.. he shoots and he passes. His floor is a better version of Olynyk. His ceiling is Brad Miller 2.0 or a better passing Okur. I actually think he goes #8 to Detroit... calling it now.

Yeah, at #12, it's hard to hate the idea of picking Kaminsky. Seems to be a safer pick and he fills a need. If he does bust, whatever - it's the #12 pick.

I just looked at Brad Miller's college stats... Frank and Brad are from the same seed... I'm convinced of it. Both didn't play a ton first two years and by senior year Miller averaged 17 pts. 9 rebs. 2.5 ast. and 1.6 blk. Millers shooting percentages were 63.2 %, 64% on 2s, 30% on 3 (only 10 attempts) and 78% from the free throw line. Frank...19 pts, 8 rebs., 2.6 ast. and 1.5 blk.... percentages 55%, 58% on 2s, 41.6% on 3s and 78% on free throws. Both played in the Big Ten...

You're welcome Amurica!

And Ammo played against **** competition too. Frank does two of the rarest things in the NBA for bigs.. he shoots and he passes. His floor is a better version of Olynyk. His ceiling is Brad Miller 2.0 or a better passing Okur. I actually think he goes #8 to Detroit... calling it now.

I think it depends on if Porzingis ends up being there for them or not. But Kaminsky should definitely be in play for them.

I think it depends on if Porzingis ends up being there for them or not. But Kaminsky should definitely be in play for them.

Yeah the thought is that SVG is GM and coach and may not be as familiar and comfortable with Porzingis. He is a couple years away from being a contributor whereas Frank is much closer. GM/Coaches end up taking short term routes almost every time... SVG may be smarter, but its not an ideal arrangement for the franchise and generally turns out bad. I don't think Doc the GM is as bad as SVG the GM, but what incentive does he have to wait on a guy for 2 or 3 years?

You can cherry pick all you want. Anthony Davis, Blake Griffin, J.J. Redick, Andrew Bogut, Kevin Durant are all winners of that award in the past 10 years.

The jury is still out on McDermott, Burke can improve, Hansborough was a nice rotation player on Indiana for awhile. Isn't that what we expect out of Kaminsky? Especially at #12, a rotation player who contributes would be awesome.

JJ is a decent player. You are not only cherry picking, but just straight reaching. Frank is certainly more bust the star bruddah.

With both Kaminsky and Booker the question is simple. Will they give us more on offense then they give up on defense? I have little doubt these players will give us some offense punch off the bench. We have to decide who will give us the most. I still edge out Booker over Kaminsky, but its very close. We need more shooters, especially if we want to do anything in the playoffs. We need players who can step in and cover our injuries during the year. Both of these guys fit the bill. It will be interesting to see how Kaminsky does against other big men in work outs. If he does well there is chance he is gone before we pick.

Trolling to the max right here. Naismith Player of the Year but he has a lot of "red flags". That doesn't guarantee him to be good, but also doesn't mean he's just bust material. No one is expecting an all-star at #12 and if they are they will be more likely disappointed than not. We want Kaminsky to be nothing more than a stretch 4 off the bench. If he contributes more than that and is good enough to be a starter then that is just gravy.
Player of the year means nothing in the NBA. Trey Burke was player of the year. Kaminsky absolutely has red flags. 4th year seniors who don't make an impression their 1st 2 years of college rarely have the raw talent to compete at an NBA level. He is not a stretch 4, He's a 5. Maybe he can play limited minutes at the 4 only because Gobert is so damn good at covering for other people. But Kaminsky guarding any 4 that can shoot past 15 feet is going to be a disaster. I realize we aren't getting a star at #12. And I'd probably be happy with Kaminsky at that spot. But he does have about the biggest bust potential of any of the top 15 or so players in the draft. This guy has big awkward stiff written all over him.

Player of the year means nothing in the NBA. Trey Burke was player of the year. Kaminsky absolutely has red flags. 4th year seniors who don't make an impression their 1st 2 years of college rarely have the raw talent to compete at an NBA level. He is not a stretch 4, He's a 5. Maybe he can play limited minutes at the 4 only because Gobert is so damn good at covering for other people. But Kaminsky guarding any 4 that can shoot past 15 feet is going to be a disaster. I realize we aren't getting a star at #12. And I'd probably be happy with Kaminsky at that spot. But he does have about the biggest bust potential of any of the top 15 or so players in the draft. This guy has big awkward stiff written all over him.

He's not a stiff. He has good agility and decent lateral quickness for a 7 footer... He isn't an explosive athlete, but he's not awkward at all. He moves very well. He will have an adjustment on defense guarding quicker 4s for sure, but if he had his offensive skill set and was also a great defender he'd be picked ahead of Okafor.