What's new
  • This thread contains opinions and information that likely IS NOT ACCURATE. Do your own research on such an important topic on a site other than JazzFanz.com, please.

Smokers

bigb

Free at last!!!
Contributor
Do you do 321 baby back ribs? I hope to try some ribs in the next few weeks.

That’s the only way I’ve ribs. I’ve been very successful using that method. My kids beg for me to do ribs all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

bigb

Free at last!!!
Contributor
I got a traeger 850. I’ve done tri tip. I screwed it up a bit because I put it on my gas grill after smoking to reverse sear and overdid it. I did fajitas, that was pretty good. Chicken thighs, fantastic. Pork chops, very good. Now I want to try burgers and ribs. Anyone have any favorite recipes?

You’ve gotta pull a little early if you’re going to reverse sear it. I have some cast iron skillets I use. Pull the meat, crank that bad boy up and get the skillets hot, throw butter on there and a couple minutes each side. Fantastic.

The Thriller

You’ve gotta pull a little early if you’re going to reverse sear it. I have some cast iron skillets I use. Pull the meat, crank that bad boy up and get the skillets hot, throw butter on there and a couple minutes each side. Fantastic.

Yep! That's exactly what happened. I overdid it on the smoker (they were done) then put them 5 mins on each side on the gas grill (probably should be half that). It turned out decent. I mean it wasn't horrible to eat. But it wasn't nearly as great. The fajitas turned out pretty good. The chicken was utterly fantastic. Super tender and flavorful. I really want to try ribs and burgers. Have you done burgers? What temp do you do and which flavor (Hickory?) do you use?

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
Weber Smokey Mountain for me. Wifi temp controller. Can maintain 225 for 12 hours within 5 degrees. Mostly cook pulled pork, but love st louis style ribs, and cook the occasional brisket. Have also cooked tomahawks on it then reverse sear. For steak and such I have a Weber Kettle that I use for reverse sear or to sear after sous vide, but lately I have been using a flamethrower to sear steaks after sous vide. But my favorite cut of all time is tritip. I have an argentine-style grill that raises and lowers and I have been perfecting this method and find it can give me a very even medium-rare edge to edge with great sear on it, but it is a lab of love to get it right.

Right now I have a 12 pound rib primal dry-aging. Going for 27 days. Then it will yield 8 sixteen-ounce rib eyes. Oh man.

I got lucky that my son-in-law's family raises angus cattle for beef, and they slaughter a few each year for the family. Got this rib primal for 3 bucks a pound. Of course, all of it is 3 bucks a pound. And it is all grass-fed, grain-finished, prime beef. I am doing all I can to make sure that marriage lasts. lol

RandyForRubio

Weber Smokey Mountain for me. Wifi temp controller. Can maintain 225 for 12 hours within 5 degrees. Mostly cook pulled pork, but love st louis style ribs, and cook the occasional brisket. Have also cooked tomahawks on it then reverse sear. For steak and such I have a Weber Kettle that I use for reverse sear or to sear after sous vide, but lately I have been using a flamethrower to sear steaks after sous vide. But my favorite cut of all time is tritip. I have an argentine-style grill that raises and lowers and I have been perfecting this method and find it can give me a very even medium-rare edge to edge with great sear on it, but it is a lab of love to get it right.

Right now I have a 12 pound rib primal dry-aging. Going for 27 days. Then it will yield 8 sixteen-ounce rib eyes. Oh man.

I got lucky that my son-in-law's family raises angus cattle for beef, and they slaughter a few each year for the family. Got this rib primal for 3 bucks a pound. Of course, all of it is 3 bucks a pound. And it is all grass-fed, grain-finished, prime beef. I am doing all I can to make sure that marriage lasts. lol
So my uncle raises registered angus, and he gives us a whole beef and a hog every year, just have to pay for butchering. I can’t even go out to get steaks at restaurants anymore because they aren’t as good. He’s completely ruined me. Hope he lives to be 200.

Rubashov

2019 Award Winner
I've been looking long and leeringly at one of these

IMG_4790_180x.jpg