What's new

Smokers

Twin pork butts. Good stuff. About 8 hours. Did it for a friend's kid's graduation.

IMG-20190127-WA0002.jpeg

Weber Smokey Mountain for me. Wifi temp controller. Can maintain 225 for 12 hours within 5 degrees. Mostly cook pulled pork, but love st louis style ribs, and cook the occasional brisket. Have also cooked tomahawks on it then reverse sear. For steak and such I have a Weber Kettle that I use for reverse sear or to sear after sous vide, but lately I have been using a flamethrower to sear steaks after sous vide. But my favorite cut of all time is tritip. I have an argentine-style grill that raises and lowers and I have been perfecting this method and find it can give me a very even medium-rare edge to edge with great sear on it, but it is a lab of love to get it right.

Right now I have a 12 pound rib primal dry-aging. Going for 27 days. Then it will yield 8 sixteen-ounce rib eyes. Oh man.

I got lucky that my son-in-law's family raises angus cattle for beef, and they slaughter a few each year for the family. Got this rib primal for 3 bucks a pound. Of course, all of it is 3 bucks a pound. And it is all grass-fed, grain-finished, prime beef. I am doing all I can to make sure that marriage lasts. lol
So my uncle raises registered angus, and he gives us a whole beef and a hog every year, just have to pay for butchering. I can’t even go out to get steaks at restaurants anymore because they aren’t as good. He’s completely ruined me. Hope he lives to be 200.

I've been looking long and leeringly at one of these

IMG_4790_180x.jpg

Yep! That's exactly what happened. I overdid it on the smoker (they were done) then put them 5 mins on each side on the gas grill (probably should be half that). It turned out decent. I mean it wasn't horrible to eat. But it wasn't nearly as great. The fajitas turned out pretty good. The chicken was utterly fantastic. Super tender and flavorful. I really want to try ribs and burgers. Have you done burgers? What temp do you do and which flavor (Hickory?) do you use?

I’ve done burgers. They’re great. I always do some hot dogs for the kids too.
I generally don’t go above 225 on anything until it’s time to reverse sear.
I generally use hickory with beef and pork. I like Mesquite with poultry. My wife hates seafood, so I don’t do any of that. I always use hickory for bacon. I used apple when I made apple pie. I’ve used cherry and maple for something, but I don’t remember what it was.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

Doing 321 ribs tomorrow.

I’m going to add a container for water to keep things moist during the 3 hr smoke at 180. Anyone have experience doing this? I also read that some people flip their ribs every 30 mins during the 3 hr smoke. Is that right? I haven’t seen any video on YouTube doing that.

During the 2 hr brown sugar/apple juice bath, I’m thinking about wrapping the ribs then put them In the oven to save on my pellets. What do you think about that?

Anyone have a favorite rub or marinade for tri tip?
Salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika. Keep it simple. Salt the meat a few hours or the night before, add the rest in layers then refrigerate while prepping the grill, maybe 1/2 hour.

I almost always cook tritip with the reverse sear method to 132 degrees before searing. Sometimes cook it sous vide then sear with a torch. I've occasionally smoked it like a brisket but I prefer it medium rare.

I trim off most of the exterior fat and render it to tallow then brush on the tallow before searing. Makes a great crust.

Doing 321 ribs tomorrow.

I’m going to add a container for water to keep things moist during the 3 hr smoke at 180. Anyone have experience doing this? I also read that some people flip their ribs every 30 mins during the 3 hr smoke. Is that right? I haven’t seen any video on YouTube doing that.

During the 2 hr brown sugar/apple juice bath, I’m thinking about wrapping the ribs then put them In the oven to save on my pellets. What do you think about that?
Not a fan of wet methods for ribs. Tend to lose the pork flavor and lean to heavily on the sauce and seasoning, and it can make the meat more mushy than tender. I just cook it 6 hours or so on my smoker at 235. I use the Weber smokey mountain with a water pan that I keep full throughout. It adds some humidity for good smoke penetration and bark formation, and helps keep temp steady as a heat sink. I prefer a stronger bark on my ribs, and the 321 method tend to soften the bark and muddy the flavors imo.

The last time I made ribs it was with a friend who hadn't had my ribs before. I asked him how he liked it and he said it was like a religious experience. He didn't even use any sauce on them. I always serve them dry with sauce on the side. Lots of time people just eat the ribs and ignore the sauce altogether.

I’ve done burgers. They’re great. I always do some hot dogs for the kids too.
I generally don’t go above 225 on anything until it’s time to reverse sear.
I generally use hickory with beef and pork. I like Mesquite with poultry. My wife hates seafood, so I don’t do any of that. I always use hickory for bacon. I used apple when I made apple pie. I’ve used cherry and maple for something, but I don’t remember what it was.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz
Fruit woods with pork and poultry are great. My favorite is apple. Since moving to Cali I've been using orange wood and it's really great. For beef I like a mix of white oak and hickory. 2 to 1 kind of thing, but I use whole chunks of wood not chips so it's more like 2 big chunks of oak and 1 of hickory for a long smoke.

Here you can see the great bark I got on the ribs but also how moist they still are. Under the grate is the water pan. Catches drippings but provides humidity for the smoke. Works great.

1660455462901.png

Anyone have a favorite rub or marinade for tri tip?

I've done a coffee rub that was pretty dope but @LogGrad98 is on the money a simple rub like that can be very effective. My old neighbour had a smoke house out the back, used to make some great ****. If I ever move near my property in Tassie I'm building a smoke house, we have a massive abundance of fresh water eels, smoked eel is better than crack.

I've done a coffee rub that was pretty dope but @LogGrad98 is on the money a simple rub like that can be very effective. My old neighbour had a smoke house out the back, used to make some great ****. If I ever move near my property in Tassie I'm building a smoke house, we have a massive abundance of fresh water eels, smoked eel is better than crack.
Then you're smoking it wrong.

I babysat a Traeger for a while, couple months while some friends moved. I liked it ok, but I found the fuel to be more expensive than my Weber and I didn't care for the smoke flavor, too harsh for me. Tougher to get a clean smoke, and for longer smokes it was just too much smoke for my taste. I wouldn't mind having one for quick smoking steaks for sous vide. Smoke them at a low temp for a half hour to get a good flavor on them and then sous vide, sear after with a torch. That works well. And it would be more convenient than charcoal. I just find I really like the flavor of charcoal better and that I have more control over the smoke output on my Smokey Mountain.

Over the weekend I low-temp roasted some rump roast and sirloin tip roasts for lunch meat. Cooked at 190 on my Smokey Mountain with white oak chunks for smoke. Took 4 1/2 hours to get them to 132, and when they came off and we thin sliced it the flavor was amazing and they were so tender, way better than store-bought lunch meat that has a chemically-salty flavor. I use my basic beef rub process, salt 24 hours ahead of time (dry brine) then course ground black pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and this time hit it with some finely chopped rosemary (not powdered dry, but really finely chopped fresh) and fresh thyme, along with a light dusting of chili powder mixed with a touch of mustard powder, not too much, just enough to barely tell it was there. Used a spritz of water/Worcestershire sauce/soy sauce as a binder (1/2 cup w-sauce, 1/4 cup soy sauce, and mixed into about 4 or 5 cups of water in a big spray bottle). But that all adds a lot to the flavor. I use the same spritz when I cook brisket and for wrapping brisket. Thin sliced we got about 6 pounds of lunch meat/whatever meat/cannot stop eating it meat for later. Froze 4 pounds of it, and made a basic open faced hot roast beef sandwich with mashed potatoes and grilled corn and asparagus and some jaeger sosse to top it off, and some rotkohl on the side. Half american diner, have german pub food. Was awesome. Still have a pound for sandwiches or whatever. Should last a couple weeks, and the frozen will last us maybe 6 months, then we do it again.

Not a fan of wet methods for ribs. Tend to lose the pork flavor and lean to heavily on the sauce and seasoning, and it can make the meat more mushy than tender. I just cook it 6 hours or so on my smoker at 235. I use the Weber smokey mountain with a water pan that I keep full throughout. It adds some humidity for good smoke penetration and bark formation, and helps keep temp steady as a heat sink. I prefer a stronger bark on my ribs, and the 321 method tend to soften the bark and muddy the flavors imo.

The last time I made ribs it was with a friend who hadn't had my ribs before. I asked him how he liked it and he said it was like a religious experience. He didn't even use any sauce on them. I always serve them dry with sauce on the side. Lots of time people just eat the ribs and ignore the sauce altogether.
Have you ever done beef ribs? I got some at Costco the other day and hope to smoke it over the weekend. Still reading about the best ways to do this. I’ve only done baby back ribs. Really want to try St Louis. Hopefully these beef ribs don’t suck. Fortunately, I got a pretty good deal at Costco so if it doesn’t work out I’m not out too much money.

Have you ever done beef ribs? I got some at Costco the other day and hope to smoke it over the weekend. Still reading about the best ways to do this. I’ve only done baby back ribs. Really want to try St Louis. Hopefully these beef ribs don’t suck. Fortunately, I got a pretty good deal at Costco so if it doesn’t work out I’m not out too much money.
So beef ribs I will wrap in butcher paper just because the connective tissue can be a lot more persistent. Kind of the 3-2-1 but 2-3-1, with 3 in the butcher paper, uncoated butcher paper. Sometimes it ends up being 3-3-1 or 3-3-2 if they are stubborn. I still prefer low and slow if I have the time but they can take a bit longer. But they aren't my family's favorite so I don't cook them very often. Let us know how it goes!

I do keep the seasoning for beef ribs much simpler. For pork I have a serious rub recipe. For beef I prefer salt pepper garlic powder and Hungarian paprika, which actually has some flavor whereas the regular paprika you get most of the time is just for color. I use a mustard and vinegar base as a binder for beef ribs. I use a really light coat of vegetable oil for a binder for pork ribs.

For the record I much prefer st Louis cut ribs for pork so that's what I cook most often. But I really like to cut mine down from spare ribs so I can leave extra meat on them.