What's new

So safe to say Dante's a bust?

Exum is just at the very beginning of his developmental curve. He has so many areas where he can realistically improve. The most amazing thing to me is that he's seemed to learn how to jump off of one leg, and has added a little bit more explosion to his game since the ACL. That is something that typically does not improve, and raises his ceiling. He has good vision, anticipation, passing ability, his dribbling has improved immensely since his rookie season, his defense seems to be rounding back into the form he had in his rookie season. He has yet to have a full off season of healthy work on his game as a pro. Can you imagine him with a couple years of work on his body so he can't be pushed around? He's going to be physically dominant. I don't know if he'll ever be a great player, but the tools are there. To call him a bust is just...incredibly short sighted.

The real question is whether or not he'll ever develop his offensive game enough to be a reliable scorer and shooter. His shot is a little bit concerning, but his FT percentage shows that maybe he could still be an effective shooter at some point. If I were him I would reconstruct my jump shot from the ground level. It's way too stiff and really only functions as a set shot right now. MY only disappointment with him while he was injured is that he didn't address his shot mechanics more fully. Maybe he did, and it was decided to keep his basic motion, idk.

He came into the league so raw, and then got injured. If this was his rookie year I'd be very excited, and it can almost be called that.

He's 21 and has a ton of potential. It's too bad the Hill is a free agent now instead of two years from now. We may have to give Hill $100 million over five years because we won't know as much about Exum as we need too. But he could become really good in the next few years, and then we'd have to make a choice.

But I love Hill, and he has really elevated the team this year, so good problem to have I guess.

I think Hill gets a 4 year deal. Dante continues to develop and is 24/25 when he takes over the starting job. Hopefully his development continues on an upward trajectory. He needs to develop his body and his shot more.

Didn't I hear from somewhere that the coaching staff basically said they focused on Goberts development and now they are focusing on Dante?

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

I think Hill gets a 4 year deal. Dante continues to develop and is 24/25 when he takes over the starting job. Hopefully his development continues on an upward trajectory. He needs to develop his body and his shot more.

We have tough choices ahead. Here is the problem. Brooklyn and Philly both have a ton of cap space and I could easily see both willing to throw the max at Hill. I don't think we'd do that and I also don't think he'd want to go there. Probably wouldn't have to match those deals but we'd likely have to get close to it. 2 years at the max makes sense at his age and production... 3 years is likely an decent overpay. 4 years is too much of an overpay and we'd have a terrible time moving that deal.

The better Exum plays the more likely it is that we get a solid stop gap that is cheaper than Hill and let Hill walk imo. I may be overestimating the offers he will get. I think if he though he was worth 4/75-80 that we'd work out an extension already. He may get 4/100+ and if Exum is coming along it'd be hard to justify that number. We could still make it work but it costs Burks and Favors for sure. Then you'd be looking at potentially losing Exum or Hood if they got overpayed. May be able to shed Hill later and reconfigure but it may cost assets.

This summer could be wild.

Didn't I hear from somewhere that the coaching staff basically said they focused on Goberts development and now they are focusing on Dante?

If that is the case they need to hire more development staff... development staff make peanuts compared to the investment in players. I'm sure they've been focused on those guys and others all year.

I am aware was poking fun at the idea they haven't been working with Dante. They have been working with them all.

Well I know certain coaches are tied to certain players. Like Johnny Bryant is the guy who works on Hayward on all his skill development and the guy from Utah (cant remember his name) works with Gobert (travels with him during the Olympics stuff to work with him and all that). I also think they sent a masseuse and one of the strength training coaches with Rudy during his time with the French National team.

Dante's defense at 0:39 in the vid is about as good as it gets. Great stance, quick feet, quick hands, and he gets the strip.
That was my favorite play from the highlight real

Yes, I remember posting that once. (I think someone else posted it first though)

The Jazz need to hire an old boxer to work with Exum. Preferably one that has had court ordered anger management classes at least twice.

The Jazz need to hire an old boxer to work with Exum. Preferably one that has had court ordered anger management classes at least twice.

If he doesn't say at least three completely polically incorrect things during the interview process he's out.

We have tough choices ahead. Here is the problem. Brooklyn and Philly both have a ton of cap space and I could easily see both willing to throw the max at Hill. I don't think we'd do that and I also don't think he'd want to go there. Probably wouldn't have to match those deals but we'd likely have to get close to it. 2 years at the max makes sense at his age and production... 3 years is likely an decent overpay. 4 years is too much of an overpay and we'd have a terrible time moving that deal.

The better Exum plays the more likely it is that we get a solid stop gap that is cheaper than Hill and let Hill walk imo. I may be overestimating the offers he will get. I think if he though he was worth 4/75-80 that we'd work out an extension already. He may get 4/100+ and if Exum is coming along it'd be hard to justify that number. We could still make it work but it costs Burks and Favors for sure. Then you'd be looking at potentially losing Exum or Hood if they got overpayed. May be able to shed Hill later and reconfigure but it may cost assets.

This summer could be wild.

No way Hill goes to Brooklyn (no picks, will be garbage forever) or Philly (not unless he wants to play the 2 again because Ben Simmons will be playing the point). He's a winner and wants a chance at a ring and our system works to his strengths.

I think the Spurs will go pretty hard at him but they generally don't overpay players so I'm not sure they would offer him a 4yr MAX either.

Exum has too good athletic skills to be considered a bust. He has elite speed, maybe only Wall or Westbrook is better than him, he can easily get past his man and drive to the basket.
On the other hand his ball handling just sucks for a playmaker. I am not too worried for his 3s, if he really works on it, he may eventually improve. But he seriously need to work on his ball handling and finishimh off the rim. This summer will be really important for him. We will see how good he can become in this league the next year.

I dont think he is a bust but he is definitely not worth 5th pick in current picture.