What's new

So safe to say Dante's a bust?

I once saw Ostertag drill three pointers at about a 70 percent clip in warmups.

Pretty much every nba player looks like a good shooter in warmup.

I was around during the Ostertag days, and not as a new, captured attention fan, by then I was a tenured, seasoned Jazz-fan vet. Ostertag was never drilling 3 point attempts in practice. Ostertag was so weak offensively that Sloan told him to lower his shoulder, drive and throw his arms up. (In attempt to draw a foul) LMAO, You saw him drill 70% of his 3-pointers! Ostertag didn't even practice 3 point attempts, the Jazz were too busy having him just practice the fundamentals. LOL. Who are you trying to convince?

I was around during the Ostertag days, and not as a new, captured attention fan, by then I was a tenured, seasoned Jazz-fan vet. Ostertag was never drilling 3 point attempts in practice. Ostertag was so weak offensively that Sloan told him to lower his shoulder, drive and throw his arms up. (In attempt to draw a foul) LMAO, You saw him drill 70% of his 3-pointers! Ostertag didn't even practice 3 point attempts, the Jazz were too busy having him just practice the fundamentals. LOL. Who are you trying to convince?
Apparently you weren't at the same game as I was when he was making those shots in warmups.

So do you think if a guy hits some threes in warmups like Exum apparently did then that means they are a good shooter?

I will go off how a guy shoots during the actual game instead.

Last edited:

I don't know the context of what you're talking about as I just clicked on this page, but Ostertag used to routinely shoot threes with Amaechi during pre-game warmups. While I couldn't begin to guess what kind of clip he was firing, he wasn't out there clanking all of them.

I don't think it means it will translate into the court but it's an indication that they have the ability. I have watched many players shoot threes in warm up that look terrible shooting and/or miss a lot of them. But I agree it doesn't necessarily mean he is going to shoot a good percentage. Although all reports are that Hill and ingles are our best shooters in warm-ups and that translates to the court.

For years we heard CJ Miles looked incredible in practice. When it came time for games, he was not so good...at least for 5+ years. Average players tighten up under pressure. Good players stay loose. Great players become even more focused AND remain calm in the last 3-5 mins of games.

Yet another case of a player ahead of his time. It's unfortunate, would love to see what Greg could do in the three point era.

Yet another case of a player ahead of his time. It's unfortunate, would love to see what Greg could do in the three point era.
Lol

I watched him hit a half court shot to close out a quarter.

ETA: upon further review, it appears that was his only career three. He only attempted 10, so not a good sample size to say he couldn't give Dirk a run for his money (and he's got a lot of it).

Dante had another good game tonight vs the Bucks. 12 pts in 16 minutes. 3-5 FG shooting and 5-5 from the FT line, 4 RBs and 3 ASTS.

Dante even managed to hit a corner 3.

He played nice defense too.

No. Not at all safe to say he's a bust. He's 21 years old. In his second season. And all we have to judge him on is his 18 year old rookie season where he was clearly not ready to make a big impact and half a season where he's coming off an ACL tear. That's not enough to judge him. He's improving as we speak. In two years we'll have a much clearer picture of who he is as a player.

Great game from Dante last night. Extremely encouraging.

Man, he looked pretty solid in those highlights. Seems like he's starting to turn a corner. His speed and D looked elite on some of those plays.

Man, he looked pretty solid in those highlights. Seems like he's starting to turn a corner. His speed and D looked elite on some of those plays.

The dunk was nice but the play I really liked was the contested layup/runner. That is the situation where he normally throws something at the glass and prays it goes in.

Perhaps it's time for a "This kid has potential thread"? I know it would certainly get some response, albeit mostly negative from the looks of things. To my eye there are a lot of people here that would love to see him fail. I'm impressed that he has continued to work and stay positive (at least with the media). I'm still saying he has a place here and potential to become our starting point with more tutelage from Hill or another qualified vet.

Dante's defense at 0:39 in the vid is about as good as it gets. Great stance, quick feet, quick hands, and he gets the strip.