What's new

Some eye-popping stats

Isn’t a lot of this the result of being primarily a two-footed jumper? Once defenders get your timing down, it’s easier for them to alter your shots, and two-footers have much fewer counters/alternatives that one-footers.

I’d like to see DM use the Nash dribble so much more than he does. The floor is spread. Use the Nash and either find an outlet or work to a spot for a short pull-up jumper.

I think he can develop this kind of feel, but it is pretty frustrating sometimes how far he still has to go in this facet.

Easily. He easily loses 6-8 points per game with botched attempts at the rim, in fact they are shots he would have made in previous years, although his performance at the rim has been decreasing every year since his rookie year. I hope he figures this out. This part should be a prime focus for him, with his role on the team and his abilities. I really wonder what changed. His rookie year he was a wizard off the glass at the rim. Now more often than not I expect a clank off the rim. People will say it is focus of the defense but he has been the focus of the defense every year as it was obvious since the first half of his rookie year he was our best player, so I don't buy that. Plus plenty of elite players get focus from the opposing D and still are able to finish at the rim. Maybe Donovan just isn't as elite as we would like to think he is.

Question is, will he ever be?
I’m not sure he’s really fallen off on this. I think he was good his rookie year as teams started to figure us out.

This year he is down 4% at the rim but attempts are the same percentage of his shot attempts. I honestly have felt he got an unlucky roll a few times on shots that were basically down. The difference is really like 5 shots out of 100+ rimming out. It may go the other way the second half. I’m not super concerned. There are times when both guys come to him and Rudy gets an easy dunk as long as Don gets the ball on the rim/backboard.

I think my bigger issue is he should get to the line more for as much as he drives. He takes a lot of contact but really doesn’t try to draw fouls with the ******** flopping. He mostly just tries to score.

He’s also gotten better at the drop off pass to the big and the kick to the corner or top of the key. Overall I thinks he’s improved in several ways but still has some good low hanging fruit for improvement. On the calls stuff I’m not sure how he improves or if they decide he gets calls or what but outside of the first part of the year I’ve been really happy with what he’s given us.

I’m not sure he’s really fallen off on this. I think he was good his rookie year as teams started to figure us out.

This year he is down 4% at the rim but attempts are the same percentage of his shot attempts. I honestly have felt he got an unlucky roll a few times on shots that were basically down. The difference is really like 5 shots out of 100+ rimming out. It may go the other way the second half. I’m not super concerned. There are times when both guys come to him and Rudy gets an easy dunk as long as Don gets the ball on the rim/backboard.

I think my bigger issue is he should get to the line more for as much as he drives. He takes a lot of contact but really doesn’t try to draw fouls with the ******** flopping. He mostly just tries to score.

He’s also gotten better at the drop off pass to the big and the kick to the corner or top of the key. Overall I thinks he’s improved in several ways but still has some good low hanging fruit for improvement. On the calls stuff I’m not sure how he improves or if they decide he gets calls or what but outside of the first part of the year I’ve been really happy with what he’s given us.
I largely agree with you on this. But that 5% makes a bigger difference than you think, not to mention the fact that it is substantially lower than his peers at the rim. He should really be approaching 68% where he is actually at 58% from 0-3 feet, and many of his peers, such as Jamal Murray, are at least in the high 60s, plenty above 70%, with Murray actually at 86.8%. Frankly it is just bad. It means he misses nearly half the time at the rim. That is a real problem for a player like Mitchell.

And now that his 3 pt shot isn't falling like it was earlier in the year, he is in a real shooting slump.

12-34 against a team like the sixers just won't cut it.

I am not saying he hasn't improved in other facets of the game, and frankly even with him dropping off a bit on this one stat he is still scoring at a career high with a career high 3 pt percentage, so that is great.

But if he is going to be the real go-to guy for us, who is tapped when it is time to just go get the bucket, some of this has to improve. Or we frankly don't have that guy at all.

Edit:

For the record here are his numbers at the rim (0-3 feet) for his career so far by year:

R - 0.638
2 - 0.619
3 - 0.626
4 - 0.583

5.5% drop off from rookie year to this year. That is enough to be noticeable and have an impact on his game.

I largely agree with you on this. But that 5% makes a bigger difference than you think, not to mention the fact that it is substantially lower than his peers at the rim. He should really be approaching 68% where he is actually at 58% from 0-3 feet, and many of his peers, such as Jamal Murray, are at least in the high 60s, plenty above 70%, with Murray actually at 86.8%. Frankly it is just bad. It means he misses nearly half the time at the rim. That is a real problem for a player like Mitchell.

And now that his 3 pt shot isn't falling like it was earlier in the year, he is in a real shooting slump.

12-34 against a team like the sixers just won't cut it.

I am not saying he hasn't improved in other facets of the game, and frankly even with him dropping off a bit on this one stat he is still scoring at a career high with a career high 3 pt percentage, so that is great.

But if he is going to be the real go-to guy for us, who is tapped when it is time to just go get the bucket, some of this has to improve. Or we frankly don't have that guy at all.

Edit:

For the record here are his numbers at the rim (0-3 feet) for his career so far by year:

R - 0.638
2 - 0.619
3 - 0.626
4 - 0.583

5.5% drop off from rookie year to this year. That is enough to be noticeable and have an impact on his game.
I'd definitely like to see it improve. Jamal might be a tough comp because he's just bigger and does well off one foot. He's also kinda an amazing finisher.

I wonder if DM can add that little pause that JC has where he gets to his spot then stops while he gets his little angle for the half hook floater thing.

He's still young so there is hope for improvement. I think this might be an area where he underperforms what people think he should do just because he's so much better off of two feet.

Remind me again why Joe's not closing games

The obvious answer is they gotta keep other players happy. It’s also convenient since Joe shouldn’t play heavy minutes in the regular season and having him play with the bench keeps the flow alive and consistent through lineups.

Stated frankly, he is so much better than Bojan. It is not close.

It makes sense when I look at the calculations. It's basically "If the player touches the ball, how likely is it that there will be a score?" Since Rudy rarely touches the ball except to dunk (he doesn't pass it around a lot, and he doesn't miss much because he's so close to the basket) that value is obviously high.

The problem with donovan's iso is he is finishing at a career low at the rim. If he were where he should be his iso game would be something else entirely.

Great teams absolutely need that player who can hunker down and carry the team from time to time when things just seem to be out of sync. For us that is Donovan but he needs to be way better and more consistent at it.
Tough to be good at it as a wing when you don’t know how to jump off of one foot which is still mind-numbingly baffling me to me that an NBA wing never learned how to jump off of one foot at any point in his life. And I use the word learned loosely. There’s really nothing to learn. How he can’t do it is a joke.

Anyway, yeah, Donnie is last in the league in clutch numbers. That’s concerning.

I am digging through some stats today again.
I was surprised to see the Favors has our best offensive rating and our second best defensive rating behind Gobert. I knew he was pretty impactful but didnt realize he was that good. I was also surprised to see that Conley has a better net rating when playing with Favors than Gobert.

Defense in Iso situations. Ingles is our best defender in iso with Conley not too far behind and Niang 3rd, those three are 99.7, 96.6, and 95.3 percentile which is obviously pretty elite in the league. Bojan and Royce are our worst defenders in Iso. I was surprised Royce was as bad as Bojan, although I assumed he wasnt good. Unfortunately Oni didnt qualify otherwise I would bet he was pretty high. Gobert faces the most Iso's in a game but is average for our roster.

I am digging through some stats today again.
I was surprised to see the Favors has our best offensive rating and our second best defensive rating behind Gobert. I knew he was pretty impactful but didnt realize he was that good. I was also surprised to see that Conley has a better net rating when playing with Favors than Gobert.

Defense in Iso situations. Ingles is our best defender in iso with Conley not too far behind and Niang 3rd, those three are 99.7, 96.6, and 95.3 percentile which is obviously pretty elite in the league. Bojan and Royce are our worst defenders in Iso. I was surprised Royce was as bad as Bojan, although I assumed he wasnt good. Unfortunately Oni didnt qualify otherwise I would bet he was pretty high. Gobert faces the most Iso's in a game but is average for our roster.
Not surprised. Favors is a borderline starter level player coming off the bench against the other guy's second team. He would be expected to be better against that group. Imagine what Gobert's ratings would be if 70% of his minutes were against bench players.

Everyone needs to remember we have literally 3, maybe 4, starting caliber players coming off our bench. Their numbers will always look fantastic.

Donovan Mitchell:
He has gotten grief from some people this year but lets look at his stats this year. He is having by far the best year of his career and getting better as the season is going on. I expect he will be even better in the playoffs again.
Career high ppg 26.6 (9th in the league)
Career high ft attempts 6.0
Career high 3p% 38.4
on Career high attempts 8.7 (only 7 players attempted this many his % is average among them)
Career high assists 5.3
Career high rebounds 4.5
Career tying best TO per game 2.7 on a career high usage
Career low fouls 2.2 (okay maybe means lazier defense)
Career high offensive rating 116
Career high PER 21.6
Career high offensive win shares, win shares and win shares per 48
Career high offensive box +/- and box +/-
Career high VORP

Donovan Mitchell:
He has gotten grief from some people this year but lets look at his stats this year. He is having by far the best year of his career and getting better as the season is going on. I expect he will be even better in the playoffs again.
Career high 3p% 38.4
on Career high attempts 8.7 (only 7 players attempted this many his % is average among them)
Career high assists 5.3
Career high rebounds 4.5
Career high PER 21.6
Career high VORP
Donovan is by far the #1 reason I think we might just win it all this year.

I always felt like the thing holding us back was that we didn't have an mvp candidate caliber player on the team.

Well, the way Donovan has played over the last 10-15 games or so is at an mvp caliber level.

I want the playoffa

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Donovan Mitchell:
Career high 3p% 38.4
Career high assists 5.3
Career high rebounds 4.5
Career high PER 21.6
Career high VORP
What's VORP? ... Asking for a friend.

https%3A%2F%2Ffansided.com%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F03%2FVORP-speed-cover-art-590x442.jpg