What's new

Spencer Hawes

Hawes was pretty bad this year, but I'm not sure its a great fit for him. I wouldn't want him out there with Jordan as they are too big and would get burned by quicker frontcourt players. Griffin and Hawes are both terrible defenders so that is not ideal either. I could see Hawes and Favors working will together.

I trust his career percentages versus the percentages for just one year or half a season. The more startling thing to me is that his offensive RPM has been really bad for two straight years. Normally bigs who stretch the floor have great ORPM... not sure what to make of it.

If we didn't draft a big or a guy like Johnson who can play spot minutes at the 4, and if we didn't find something better in free agency I don't think this would be a bad plan C. Could probably get a minor asset as well... maybe CJ Wilcox (have no idea if he's good or not, but can shoot). Hawes has a reasonable contract especially when the cap goes up.

Hawes was pretty bad this year, but I'm not sure its a great fit for him. I wouldn't want him out there with Jordan as they are too big and would get burned by quicker frontcourt players. Griffin and Hawes are both terrible defenders so that is not ideal either. I could see Hawes and Favors working will together.

I trust his career percentages versus the percentages for just one year or half a season. The more startling thing to me is that his offensive RPM has been really bad for two straight years. Normally bigs who stretch the floor have great ORPM... not sure what to make of it.

If we didn't draft a big or a guy like Johnson who can play spot minutes at the 4, and if we didn't find something better in free agency I don't think this would be a bad plan C. Could probably get a minor asset as well... maybe CJ Wilcox (have no idea if he's good or not, but can shoot). Hawes has a reasonable contract especially when the cap goes up.

Yeah, playing on a team with the best playmaking PF and best playmaking PG must be hard.

Griffin isn't a terrible defender either. I guess you are still holding on to a reputation he got earlier in his career (though he was never terrible).

Yeah, playing on a team with the best playmaking PF and best playmaking PG must be hard.

Griffin isn't a terrible defender either. I guess you are still holding on to a reputation he got earlier in his career (though he was never terrible).

When you are the fifth option it might be... when you get inconsistent minutes it might be. Just saying the data for the previous 7 seasons suggests he shoots a higher percentage than he did this year and that this year might just be a bit of an outlier.

Jared Dudley didn't do great last year playing alongside those guys (although he had some injury issues). Maybe it takes a little time to acclimate to a new role... also maybe he doesn't share the court with those two all the time because he comes off the bench... maybe he shares the court with the playmaking stylings of Jamal Crawford and Hedo Turkoglu.

Griffin isn't a good defender... he has probably improved from terrible... my bad. I just remember Millsap and him taking turns giving each other 30. In either case BG and Hawes together is not a good defensive front court... BG provides zero rim protection.

Clippers didn't get him to be a starting player, they got him for the same reasons we would be getting him, and it hasn't worked out.

We aren't the Clippers.

[size/HUGE] boobs [/size];1050186 said:
Are you kidding! Spencer has sucked ***!!! He does not work out like a real man he is soft and weak. Trust me on this my friend. You know who does work out like a real man? Hoffa Araujo. Now there is a real BYU player if you want to sign a BYU player no matter what go get this guy. He is still playing and in Karl Malone shape. I bet he can fight in MMA he is that ripped my friends.

You're right. What were we thinking? We clearly just want Hawes because he's a BYU player. Now if only we could land Chandler Parsons and Doug McDermott to complete the Provo trifecta.

So in general, people have a way over inflated idea of what you will have in a back up big man, particularly one who stretches the floor. I am confident that whoever you bring in will usually be on the floor with either Favs or Rudy for rim protection. We are not going to get a stretch big who protects the rim for what we will pay. Nor would they come here to play with Rudy and Favs and be a back up.

[size/HUGE] boobs [/size];1050186 said:
Are you kidding! Spencer has sucked ***!!! He does not work out like a real man he is soft and weak. Trust me on this my friend. You know who does work out like a real man? Hoffa Araujo. Now there is a real BYU player if you want to sign a BYU player no matter what go get this guy. He is still playing and in Karl Malone shape. I bet he can fight in MMA he is that ripped my friends.

You realize Hawes did not go to BYU, right? Last I checked he is a Washington Husky.

At this point, adding Hawes would depend who we add in the draft. If we draft The Tank or Looney I would roll with them rather than acquire Hawes. But if we draft a backcourt player Hawes would be a good candidate for backup C, not great but good.

At this point, adding Hawes would depend who we add in the draft. If we draft The Tank or Looney I would roll with them rather than acquire Hawes. But if we draft a backcourt player Hawes would be a good candidate for backup C, not great but good.

I'm with you... its not plan A or B... but is a fine backup idea should other things not go our way.

When you are the fifth option it might be... when you get inconsistent minutes it might be. Just saying the data for the previous 7 seasons suggests he shoots a higher percentage than he did this year and that this year might just be a bit of an outlier.

Jared Dudley didn't do great last year playing alongside those guys (although he had some injury issues). Maybe it takes a little time to acclimate to a new role... also maybe he doesn't share the court with those two all the time because he comes off the bench... maybe he shares the court with the playmaking stylings of Jamal Crawford and Hedo Turkoglu.

Griffin isn't a good defender... he has probably improved from terrible... my bad. I just remember Millsap and him taking turns giving each other 30. In either case BG and Hawes together is not a good defensive front court... BG provides zero rim protection.

Milsap has scored 30 on Griffin exactly 0 times.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=griffbl01&p2=millspa01

Keep trying.

Also HH, Hawes had extremely consistent minutes the entire regular season. Stop making stuff up.

He averaged a consistent 18 mpg during the regular season, so he had to be on the court with Griffin or Paul for at least half his minutes.

He also started 16 games, averaging 25 mpg in those games. Shot a blazing 36% from the field, 28% from deep, and grabbed 4 rebounds per game.

Spencer Hawes is hot trash.

Hey Zach Lowe, can you tell HH about Griffin's defense

The Defense

Griffin is still growing defensively, though he’s far from the sieve his critics imagine him to be. He’s mobile and alert, essential qualities for Doc Rivers’s strongside overload scheme, and he can use his speed to contain pick-and-rolls in a variety of styles. Griffin generally tries hard, which is half the battle on defense. Bigger guys can still give him issues on the block, and genetics have ensured Griffin will never be a scary rim protector who deters drivers.

He has gotten better. The Clips rank eighth overall in points allowed per possession, and they’ve been a hair stingier than their overall average with the Griffin-Jordan duo on the floor, per NBA.com. That’s an important change from last season, when the team’s bench propped up starter-heavy units that couldn’t defend well enough.

The young L.A. bigs aren’t stoppers, separately or together. Teams have shot nearly 52 percent on close shots when Jordan is near both the shooter and the rim, a below-average mark for a big man playing heavy minutes, per SportVU data. (In fairness to Jordan, this number has been gradually coming down from about 60 percent over the last six weeks.) Opponents have hit 62.6 percent of shots in the restricted area against the Clippers, the seventh-worst mark among all team defenses, per NBA.com.

Jordan is still occasionally late on weakside rotations and can space out at bad times. The two bigs still have blips of miscommunication that result in one opposing big man being left wide open. The Clippers have fallen off a bit defensively since Paul’s injury, and while the falloff doesn’t amount to much in terms of L.A.’s place in the league’s defensive hierarchy, it’s worth monitoring, considering the blah competition. The Clips might be 9-3 without Paul, but they’re just 3-2 in that stretch against teams currently at .500 or better, and two of those wins came against teams — Chicago and Toronto — that are just two games over .500 combined.

The Clippers, like basically every team, have some issues to sort out. But this non-Paul stretch has been a sort of second coming-out party for Griffin — the very loud announcement of his maturation as a player. The critics should take note.

I'm with you... its not plan A or B... but is a fine backup idea should other things not go our way.
Iawtp

Hey Zach Lowe, can you tell HH about Griffin's defense

Dude I backed off and said that he isn't terrible anymore, but he's still not good. Put him out there with Hawes and it probably doesn't end well. His minutes were not extremely consistent during the latter half of the year... he's been in and out of the rotation a bit. Even so, he never found a role with this team.

I love that Hawes has a bad year with a new team and he's hot trash. Let's ignore all previous data points. Your boy Otto Porter has two decent games and we should unload every damned pick we have to get him.

Millsap put up 25 against him a couple times... the point was he's not a great defender. He may have been better recently but he's not as good as Favs.

Also, please find me a player we can get without giving up assets that makes less than $5-6 M that has no flaws.

He's not my first choice (or second or third), but if he's getting Cooley minutes when everyone is healthy then he can likely do more with that role than Jack did... and would be an okay fill in when we have injuries. He's a viable option and a buy low candidate.

He is better than his play this year.

If we're going to compare the Clips and the Jazz we need to look at Booker v Davis. Not Hawes v Davis. I think most have agreed that Book is the 3rd big, and we're looking for a back up C, not our 3rd big. Hawes may be that player. Maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, oh man. I don't have the ability to embed this clip. Rep to anyone who can. I'll post the link. This is a highlight dunk by Capela over Hawes. Looks to me like Hawes had time to get over. He sees the play developing and tries to slide over...with feet of stone. And then elevates about an inch trying to do what, exactly? A dunk AND1 for Capela.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-o...ets-clint-capela-dunks-all-over-spencer-hawes
Deandre Jordan is the guy who completely blew his defensive assignment on that play. Hawes didn't do a very good job of cleaning up his teammates mistake, but very few guys would have succeeded in that situation.
o