What's new

STAYWARD

Would you rather be first up or last up... what if we never get to have a meeting because Boston already get a commit would he do us that dirty? Not even a meeting.

I really hope this doesn't mean we agree to Hill then Hayward says no... I think we work something out with Hill contingent on Hayward staying... he comes into the meeting knowing who our PG is.

Has his wife posted anything on IG? Im only kind of kidding.

Media guy from Boston on Checketts show just said he thinks Hayward signs with the Celtics because the chances of getting to the finals are better in the East especially if he's on the team.

Is the dude a homer? Of course? Does he know anything? No. Has that reasoning been mentioned a thousand times in the past month or two? Probably a million so it isn't anything earth shattering, to be sure.

But if G-time wants to win- If it is important to him to play for a title, it just makes sense. When this guy said that it resonated with me more than ever. No need to overthink this- if Gordon Hayward wants to play for a NBA championship, it will be easier to go through an aging LBJ than Curry, Durant, Draymond and Klay or Kawhi and Pop or Harden and CP3.

Now, he may decide Utah is where he wants to be, perhaps he wants to eventually have an affair with Alec Burks (honestly, who wouldn't?), maybe he sees the value in having a rim protector like Rudy behind him. There may be myriad reasons he'd stay with the Jazz- but if the chance to play for all the marbles outweigh all that, he's gonzo. Pure and simple.

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

I hope you don't take this reply personally, because I'm honestly just replying to this argument that has been brought up again and again and again...

If his goal is to play for a title then why does it matter? Sure if his goal is to get the finals only, I agree it's easier in the East. But assuming he actually wants to win a damn championship, then he has to beat the Warriors either way. I just don't think that the East/West thing holds any water other than an easier All-Star berth, but he's already crossed that bridge and will likely continue to do it in the West.

I hope you don't take this reply personally, because I'm honestly just replying to this argument that has been brought up again and again and again...

If his goal is to play for a title then why does it matter? Sure if his goal is to get the finals only, I agree it's easier in the East. But assuming he actually wants to win a damn championship, then he has to beat the Warriors either way. I just don't think that the East/West thing holds any water other than an easier All-Star berth, but he's already crossed that bridge and will likely continue to do it in the West.

Don't take this personally, but you don't win a title unless you play in the championship series. Durant and/or Curry might get hurt in game 1. Then you win a title. In the West, if you play for the Utah Jazz, you have to have a lot more dudes get hurt, a lot more good fortune to even get there and have that opportunity, than in the east.

Would you rather be first up or last up... what if we never get to have a meeting because Boston already get a commit would he do us that dirty? Not even a meeting.

I really hope this doesn't mean we agree to Hill then Hayward says no... I think we work something out with Hill contingent on Hayward staying... he comes into the meeting knowing who our PG is.

Has his wife posted anything on IG? Im only kind of kidding.

Miami fans claim he's meeting with Riley on Saturday.

Media guy from Boston on Checketts show just said he thinks Hayward signs with the Celtics because the chances of getting to the finals are better in the East especially if he's on the team.

Is the dude a homer? Of course? Does he know anything? No. Has that reasoning been mentioned a thousand times in the past month or two? Probably a million so it isn't anything earth shattering, to be sure.

But if G-time wants to win- If it is important to him to play for a title, it just makes sense. When this guy said that it resonated with me more than ever. No need to overthink this- if Gordon Hayward wants to play for a NBA championship, it will be easier to go through an aging LBJ than Curry, Durant, Draymond and Klay or Kawhi and Pop or Harden and CP3.

Now, he may decide Utah is where he wants to be, perhaps he wants to eventually have an affair with Alec Burks (honestly, who wouldn't?), maybe he sees the value in having a rim protector like Rudy behind him. There may be myriad reasons he'd stay with the Jazz- but if the chance to play for all the marbles outweigh all that, he's gonzo. Pure and simple.

I don't agree with this reasoning unless the Celtics can make other moves to improve their team besides recruiting Hayward. It's true that the Celtics' primary advantage is that they play in a weaker conference. But the Celtics aren't really that good. They have some significant flaws and could readily have lost in the playoffs to either Chicago or Washington. They were just obliterated by the Cavs in the EC Finals. In terms of talent level, Chris Broussard (whose opinion I generally trust) compared the Celtics to the Portland Trailblazers. The Celtics will be competing with the Wizards and Raptors for the right to face the Cavs, and it's no foregone conclusion that they'll win those series. If Isaiah Thomas cannot continue to play at the level he played last year, which is a significant step up from where he had been previously in his career, that alone can cause the Celtics to step back.

This idea that the Celtics are a contender is a bit farfetched. Al Horford on a max contract isn't conducive to truly contending, and the same can be said for IT if the Celtics decide to give him a max extension as well. Assuming the Celtics do eventually come out of the East, they're likely to get swept by the Warriors or another WC champion.

Hayward makes them a lot better. Changes everything in the matchup v the Cavs. As does Tatum and an improved Jaylen Brown.

But sure, we can disagree on that point because it's impossible to know.

If Boston traded for Jimmy Butler or went all-in on Porzingis, then Boston with Hayward would be a compelling team in the EC. However, replacing Avery Bradley and/or Jae Crowder with Hayward isn't enough to make them a legit contender. They'll be capped out and one player away, it would seem.

I think this comes down to Hill unfortunately. If we agree to overpay that often injured sob, maybe Hayward stays. That's probably why we haven't used all this cap space.

I blame it on keeping Hill for Hayward.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

You know I'm a Hayward fan for sure. But if he leaves he leaves. There was a Jazz team before him and there will be a Jazz team after him. That being said I really want him to stay.

I think the Jazz should leave the point guard spot unresolved for the moment, talk to Gordon about the bigger picture and see if there's a move to upgrade either Favors or Hood that Hayward would buy into. The Jazz should lay out on the table a few potential roster moves and see what Gordon's preference is. If it's to re-sign Hill, then fine, but the Jazz should bring multiple options to the table and include Hayward in the discussion.

I think the Jazz should leave the point guard spot unresolved for the moment, talk to Gordon about the bigger picture and see if there's a move to upgrade either Favors or Hood that Hayward would buy into. The Jazz should lay out on the table a few potential roster moves and see what Gordon's preference is. If it's to re-sign Hill, then fine, but the Jazz should bring multiple options to the table and include Hayward in the discussion.

I agree... we should add talent though. I think Hill on a 4 $60-$80M is a good deal. He fits well when healthy and if we have an improved Exum and Mitchell I am less concerned about his durability issues.

I do still wonder if we swoop in and snake Kevin Love... Hood or Exum (hopefully not both), Favs, and a pick just seems really solid for them. If we needed to do both I'd try to get Osman or something from Cleveland.

"The Miami Heat have improved their position in the batting order from a year ago, apparently first up to the plate when it comes to the free agency of Utah Jazz forward Gordon Hayward.

According to The Salt Lake Tribune, Pat Riley and his staff will meet with Hayward on Saturday, with the Jazz to meet with Hayward on Monday. The Boston Celtics are expected to receive the third meeting."
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/fl-sp-miami-heat-gordon-hayward-20170628-story.html

Meeting with Miami first, Jazz second and Boston third. His agent sure knows how to build hype. Where ever he ends up, Hayward has used FA to greatly increase the value of the Hayward brand.

"The Miami Heat have improved their position in the batting order from a year ago, apparently first up to the plate when it comes to the free agency of Utah Jazz forward Gordon Hayward.

According to The Salt Lake Tribune, Pat Riley and his staff will meet with Hayward on Saturday, with the Jazz to meet with Hayward on Monday. The Boston Celtics are expected to receive the third meeting."
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/fl-sp-miami-heat-gordon-hayward-20170628-story.html

Meeting with Miami first, Jazz second and Boston third. His agent sure knows how to build hype. Where ever he ends up, Hayward has used FA to greatly increase the value of the Hayward brand.

Oh.. man we are in the middle... that can't be good, why does Boston get last? Maybe that means they agree to sign Griffin first.

Oh.. man we are in the middle... that can't be good, why does Boston get last? Maybe that means they agree to sign Griffin first.

He's meeting with Boston and Miami on Saturday... then us on Monday.

I feel like this is a positive... we close the deal. I think he's giving us a few days to come to terms with Hill or agree on a trade.

Unless Boston the PG to Boston rumor picks up steam I feel pretty good.

I agree... we should add talent though. I think Hill on a 4 $60-$80M is a good deal. He fits well when healthy and if we have an improved Exum and Mitchell I am less concerned about his durability issues.

I do still wonder if we swoop in and snake Kevin Love... Hood or Exum (hopefully not both), Favs, and a pick just seems really solid for them. If we needed to do both I'd try to get Osman or something from Cleveland.

I'd like to see the Jazz offer Favors and Hood in a deal for an up-and-coming player that could move. I'm wondering about Aaron Gordon now that Orlando drafted Jonathan Issac. A move like this could consolidate two players that need to be paid into one player that needs to be paid. Ingles, Mitchell and Exum can take the guard minutes if the Jazz move Hood.