What's new

Stock Picks

Please do. You'll get crushed just like everyone else that tries it.

Depends on the time frame. The long term trend is still in motion. Next few days, weeks, or maybe months not so much. Breaking the 50 day moving average after a triple top is not a good sign, especially against the back drop of significant public participation. The dollar has got hit and commodities have been climbing higher and now predictable chatter about world wide food inflation should be sending gold to fresh new highs. When the correlation breaks down and an asset class doesn't do what it supposed to it is a huge red flag.

You have an 8% immediate downside risk to the 200 day moving average. As often does, the 200 day is right on the trendline from the 08 and last summer's lows. If that support is broken, you are looking at probably a 30% correction.

Be careful, certainty is the worst attribute one can internalize as a trader.

Personally, I think we bounce and rally off the 200 and rally back to some approximation of the most recent high. I believe the top will take longer than most think. Most are expecting a bursting of the bubble. But that is just a trading template going forward.

There is a case based on previous price action in other asset classes that result in large bubbles that gold could double here, however, the long term chart of gold is an absolute disaster from a technical analysis stand point. As of now, jury is still out. I suspect the easy money has been made for the gold bugs.

If anybody has any rudimentary technical analysis skills, they would never be a serious investor, long term holder of gold with that multi-year chart. That has disaster written all over it. That is right out of the internet, Japan, real estate, and 07 commodity bubbles.

https://www.mrci.com/pdf/gc.pdf

I hope that link works

What he said.

To add, you're wrong on most economists being comfortable with it. This has been an extremely controversial policy. Many demand siders were comfortable with it, but not all. Supply siders aren't really the type to embrace it at all. Also, a lot of bankers, hedge fund operators, industry strategists, and talking heads have been very uncomfortable with QE. Many of these people help move gold and have serious influence on the market.

Examples: https://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/nov/15/us-economists-open-letter-qe2
Joseph Stiglitz is another big name. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance...tz-Americas-QE2-poses-considerable-risks.html
David Einhorn bought physical gold.
Eric Sprott, but he's a gold bug anyway.
John Burbank.
The most notable is probably Tom Hoenig from the Federal Reserve who has openly dissented from the other 10 for quite some time.

Read the last sentence from Martin Feldstein https://www.nber.org/feldstein/projectsyndicatenovember262010.pdf

If you want more then google things like "crowding out" and "QE trade war". I'm sure there is enough to keep you busy for days.

Einhorn has surprised me with his gold position. The rest of that crew is worthless. Einhorn is a frickin stud.

Anyone looking at any financial stocks? BAC, C, WFC? Or smaller banks like CSE? Or totally risky banks like AIB or IRE?

2011 is supposed to be the year of the financials - was wondering if anyone believes this and is purchasing.

Those Irish banks will be delisted soon. They don't have any backstop. They might have legs enough for a trade or two, but long term I wouldn't even think about it.

Yeah, I remember when motley fool recommended AIB around 10.00/share - yikes. Still looking at Citi long term, but wondering what you guys think of the financial sector in general? Will financials be the darling of the market in 2011 like everyone is predicting?

2011 is supposed to be the year of the financials - was wondering if anyone believes this and is purchasing.

Based on what?

Pearl, I watched that video...

Are you saying that the financial move is a good one for both long and short strategies? Furthermore, is it your believe that the mortgage crisis is over and will have no negative effect on any of the big box banks?

VINY,

What I am saying is this:

In the markets, if you have a theory about something either at the macro level, a stock specific idea, or even a general asset class, AND one of the very smart people with a long history of being correct at a high rate is of the opposite opinion, you had seriously rethink your position because you have a much higher probability of being wrong.

The snag in that methodology is filtering out the smart money from the dumb money and the great investors with excellent long term records from the one hit wonders.

Oh man, I was expecting Meredith Whitney in those links. I'll bet she makes your rotation.

I know more than a few people that swear by Berkowitz and Bill Ackman since they partner up a lot. Any time those types of guys are willing to take large positions in speculative stocks, that's when my ears really perk up. They killed on General Growth and Ackman's presence even had BGP breathing life for awhile. Their more stable holdings usually don't have much run to them though, but that works for all the guys wiping with 100 dollar bills out there.

Whitney is probably this cycle's Garzarelli. One good call followed by desperate attempts to stay relevant, followed by massive plastic surgery.

Pearl, does Berkowitz ever write op-ed pieces or anything similar...something I can read or learn more about his views?

Pearl, does Berkowitz ever write op-ed pieces or anything similar...something I can read or learn more about his views?

you can google him or the fairholme fund. You can probably find his quarterly letters somewhere on the web.

I think Fortune or Forbes just did a story on him.

Understand he is a value investor. Most value investors realize the pure folly of predicting or forecasting economic macro trends, hence are what is called "bottoms up" investors.

Based on what?

Based on articles I've read on cnn.money, wall street journal online and clips from cnbc. Don't want to search for them, but financials having (continuing) strength in 2011/2012 is a common theme I've been noticing since the fall.

(telephone rings)

Bernanke: Hello grrrrumphfff

Obama: This Obama. Wake up.

Bernanke: Grrrrump. Yeah? Sir?

Obama: See them reelection numbers son?

Bernanke: I'm a republican.

Obama: What? Listen up. Them numbers goin down in lockstep with gas goin up. Do something, but not yet.

Bernanke: Well, sir, I kind of have this helecopter moniker attached, so you know...

Obama: I don't give a rats flipping ***. I just pooped out Osama, son. Din't you see that? What! Boy wasn't even packing and we blasted his *** anyway. Kapowee! Dropped that rat ******* off the back a that big ol ship ******* W goofed up on. Ha ha! Get some, son. Don't get me started on CME. I called them whores up and look at me now. Who need a central banker? What! I got a plan, kid, a plan that gonna whoop yo ***. I take silver. I take Osama. What should I take next, huh? Them flippin' *** Glenn Beck gold worshiping dipsticks? Watch me. Ha. I get 'em all.

Bernanke: Are you threaten...

Obama: Hell no. We're boys. Remember who put yo *** back in. I need more Hoenig. Nothing now. Too early. But I need more Hoenigs. Hell, call up that Stanford guy and them other 22 and ask for another letter or something. Tell them to make it more convincing this time. Get a couple libs on board. Who we gots that don't like you going all Thomas Paine up in this bitch?

Bernanke: I see what I can do, sir. We're already jawboning gas prices down. So is EIA.

Obama: Straight, bro! But not yet.

Still like gold and silver?

I usually don't get into any of this stuff that I haven't already been following for a couple of years. The way I see it, there's some arbitrage team somewhere with a larger computer, better calculators, and deeper pockets. But here are my initial thoughts anyway:

Tax planning by the managers (who only own 6%)???
BAC, JPM, others gave them the money. Apparently they didn't find any irregularities. That means I would not be able to find anything either.
The $50's are only $.85 so the math is certainly compelling--roughly $285 downside on a $1500+ upside.