What's new

Strange post-game statements from Sloan and KOC

sloan was shaken up... it could be a trade and it could be a trade that downgrades us. sloan might not agree with KOC on a trade

I wish Brian the beat writer would throw some of his own educated speculation in the mix, not sure he's allowed to though

Food for thought:
The Jazz's Raja Bell (personal reasons), Francisco Elson (left knee inflamation), Paul Millsap (bruised left leg) and Mehmet Okur (strained lower back) were not scheduled to practice today [Tuesday].

Another Brian tweet from Tuesday.

Add Dwill's wrist to the list, does canceled practice mean they are not meeting at all? It is not unprecedented for teams to cancel practice in order to rest a team or players.

Melo will never wear a jazz jersey that is something i know. but if we did trade for him i wouldn't hate it even thought i hate him SOO bad.

sloan was shaken up... it could be a trade and it could be a trade that downgrades us. sloan might not agree with KOC on a trade

gotta believe it would be a money saving trade that would downgrade us. these are the deals we do. anybody mention CJ in the trade mix yet?

The downgrade seems likely.

If it was AK -- as a guy who has wanted him off the team for a very long time -- this would be a kick in the nuts, assumptive within and to the package. I mean that relative to what Utah turned down -- Marion, Carter, et cetera -- only to now dump salary?

Broadly, that would all be very typical. Just trash. Years wasted in on-court performance, but now things aren't -- mirage-like -- arguable under any type of "contention" label, just pathetic mediocrity. So, yeah, make a move that's obviously a salary cut, then taunt your fanbase on Twitter about trains leaving stations and bandwagons to a better future.

I can see it happening.

I also think that the record would be more acceptable to management, except that the team is killing them by losing at home so often. It's the wrong kind of pathetic, in the wrong venue; they need that bait and switch cognitive dissonance, contradiction, of a "strong home court" as a sell-rate.

Did KOC try to strong-arm Sloan? Did they reach an impasse, and Sloan quit?

I don't know that this is so far-fetched. I looked at KOC tonight, and he made me think of Ted Thompson, the Packers GM. People can argue the Super Bowl win, but I think the way Favre was treated was disgraceful, and I do recall that Malone accused KOC of wanting both of the franchise's pillars gone in the early 00s in a controlling revamp similar to what went on in Green Bay.

The thing to remember about the NBA versus NFL, is that the latter doesn't mind -- will even cause and control for -- a small market winning their titles. Further, true parity exists in the NFL, which is how the Packers won the big game with the worst playoff seed.

But to close out, I find the AK trade scenario somewhat unlikely, just because I've always believed that the Jazz were happy with situation. Financially, that is. The international market may be good enough that Kirilenko was performing as a star relative to worldwide box office and profit for the Utah Jazz brand.

If that's the case, they would never get rid of him. Unless the financial picture recently changed.

I welcome change in the coaching department. I would be intrigued to see Johnson finish the year with Hornacek the primary assistant to show him the ropes, but if Hornacek became the next head coach, Corbin would have to be the next assistant or he'd be gone.

images

I'd love to see them give Corbin a run. His fist pumps alone should propel this team to greatness!

I'd love to see them give Corbin a run. His fist pumps alone should propel this team to greatness!

Just curious Nate how is the Melo situation going down in Denver? What is the general feeling from Nugs fans?
Aren't they furuious with him?

Just curious Nate how is the Melo situation going down in Denver? What is the general feeling from Nugs fans?
Aren't they furuious with him?

I get the feeling that most don't hate him per se, they just want something done with. At least that's what I hear on sports talk radio mostly. There are a lot of fans who do hate him because they feel that he wants to abandon the city, but more just want something to be done so they know what team they're rooting for. And because they are sick of the "will he or won't he be traded" rumors that have been flying around for like 4 or 5 months now.

I do believe if the Nugs get a crap deal for him that the hate for him will intensify, because they believe (with just cause IMO too) that his reluctance to go to anyone but the Knicks has massively hurt his trade value.

Did anyone else catch that practice is canceled tomorrow? You don't cancel a practice after having an argument over playing time, or even because of a trade going down. It has to be something to do with Sloan.

You might cancel practice if the message isn't hitting home and the players simply need a day off from Sloan to get their minds in order. The best of coaches would realize that from time to time.

If it's been tweeted that there's no trade happening, and we know Jerry just signed a one year extension, I have to think this is being extremely overblown, or it's something more personal for Jerry, ala his own health or that of a family member. Either way, probably nothing to see here.

P.S.--I am curious if the extra 30 minutes after the game involved players and if there's the chance that Deron lashed out at him and that's why Jerry came out so stunned or shocked or however they described him.

This has a "player lashed out at coach" written all over it. KOC and Sloan probably discussed possible suspension for player. Canceled practice to let everybody cool down.

This has a "player lashed out at coach" written all over it. KOC and Sloan probably discussed possible suspension for player. Canceled practice to let everybody cool down.

ahh yes this makes the most sense. now it couldnt be deron could it? i mean right after he lost the game? it must have been a dispute between players.