What's new

Stupid Pet Peeves

Flat tires while out cycling. **** me. I had two on the same ****ing ride. After the second one, I just rode home....the tubes beat me.

The grocery store I frequent most often is always completely rearranging its merchandise. It seems stuff get switched around every week. So I need bread and go to the aisle that had bread last week, only now it's all paper towels. An employee told me it's done intentionally to keep you in the store longer on the theory that you'll buy more as you wander the aisles

That is really ****ing interesting, lady. Is this a chain supermarket? Also, have you ever thought of talking to the manager and letting him or her know of your issues. Sometimes, that can make a difference. If the employee's claim is accurate, ****, that's some ****.

Actually, it was an assistant store manager who mentioned it - - it's corporate policy he said. I think the store is now owned by some big conglomerate, it had been more of a local chain but now it's owned by Albertsons.

(before that, it had briefly been part of the Safeway system, but they sold it to Albertsons - - before that it was strictly a local Chicago-area chain.)

Little kids that suck their thumb. Cut that **** out you're an adult for gods sake.

There was a woman I worked with in the Navy that would suck her thumb when she'd get nervous/anxious. She had actually advanced pretty quickly and was a supervisor (but not my supervisor). I couldn't believe she'd suck her thumb in front of everybody when she was under pressure. Like go get counseling or hypnotherapy or whatever it takes to stop doing that, you're a leader in the ****ing military.

There was a woman I worked with in the Navy that would suck her thumb when she'd get nervous/anxious. She had actually advanced pretty quickly and was a supervisor (but not my supervisor). I couldn't believe she'd suck her thumb in front of everybody when she was under pressure. Like go get counseling or hypnotherapy or whatever it takes to stop doing that, you're a leader in the ****ing military.

Well that obviously didn't stop her from getting promoted...

Well that obviously didn't stop her from getting promoted...

No, in the Navy up to E6 getting promoted is mostly test based. She was a hell of a hard worker and very dedicated to advancing. I think she was an E6 at about 6-7 years, which is pretty great.

Speaking of pet peeves, she wouldn't carry anything over 20lbs by herself. Kind of gives females in the military a bad reputation when a female literally won't carry their share of the load.

You can get a pump to clip onto your bike! I have one, works great!

A pump is not going to help you out if you've gone through all of your tubes, yo. Besides, I carry CO2 cartridges.

Actually, it was an assistant store manager who mentioned it - - it's corporate policy he said. I think the store is now owned by some big conglomerate, it had been more of a local chain but now it's owned by Albertsons.

(before that, it had briefly been part of the Safeway system, but they sold it to Albertsons - - before that it was strictly a local Chicago-area chain.)

Isn't that amazing? I mean, I guess it doesn't surprise me considering the culture we have in this country but it seems wrong. These ****ing ***** will do everything and anything to squeeze that last bit of value out of us even if it means using Las Vegas type ploys.

Last edited:
Sleeping bags that are rated a certain temperature and don't even come close. I even build in 20 degrees variance into my mental expectations, but my last two have been 50 degrees off easily.

Yeah! Screw those guys for trying to be more profitable! Assholes.

I don't have a problem with companies trying to be profitable, believe me. But why can't it be on the back of service, selection or price? It's like we've gotten to the point where subterfuge is expected from the companies we do business with.

Last edited:
Sleeping bags that are rated a certain temperature and don't even come close. I even build in 20 degrees variance into my mental expectations, but my last two have been 50 degrees off easily.

Sounds like you need to get a sleeping bag that is comfort rated. Most of the ratings are survival ratings, and are not meant to be for comfort.

Sounds like you need to get a sleeping bag that is comfort rated. Most of the ratings are survival ratings, and are not meant to be for comfort.

That's what the 20 degree variance I mentioned is for. It should be comfortable enough regardless if it's above it that much - at least in my experience. And if not, it's pretty easy to make up the difference with a little natural sheltering. But I had a -15 bag I was testing in 40 degree weather though and was as cold as a witch's kiss when I finally woke up. Luckily I was just testing it out in my back yard......but I'm going to eventually need one to be decent in the 0 range. Probably just go back to some military gear - their ratings are trustworthy.

Last edited:
That's what the 20 degree variance I mentioned is for. It should be comfortable enough regardless if it's above it that much - at least in my experience. And if not, it's pretty easy to make up the difference with a little natural sheltering. But I had a -15 bag I was testing in 40 degree weather though and was as cold as a witch's kiss when I finally woke up. Luckily I was just testing it out in my back yard......but I'm going to eventually need it to be decent in the 0 range.

Hmmmm. what brand if you don't mind me asking? I mean, that's quite a discrepancy in warmth. Are you a hot or cold sleeper? Was the bag synthetic or down?