What's new

Stupid Pet Peeves

As I am working to get back on keto, finding alternative sweeteners for various products is important. So why the hell do they put stevia in everything? For something like 30% of the population it is a bitter ****** flavor, much like a certain percentage of people find cilantro to be soapy or something (I don't, thank goodness). To me stevia is off-puttingly bitter. I can handle nutrasweet, or most any of the sugar alcohols, but stevia is just nasty. I am sure it is a cost thing to use stevia since it is fairly cheap and they can use much less of it, but the bitter taste just ruins everything. I wish more manufacturers would use monkfruit or allulose, or even just erythritol. These are much less off-putting and allulose in baked goods is nearly indistinguishable from sugar, since it is actually a naturally-occurring sugar to begin with. Just please, stop putting stevia in everything. Ugh.

The soup of pollution that we're calling air right now.

Every time it gets this bad I feel like I'm sick. I went to a place to eat and got something I've had a few dozen times easy and have never been disappointed in. It tasted completely different and I didn't enjoy it. I thought for a second that maybe I was sick and it was affecting my taste buds but then I remembered that I had been driving around in a heavy brown haze all morning. I really do think the difference in how it tasted was due to the smog and how it affects me.

I want someone to make an all-in-one tracker for things like TV series you watch, book series and/or authors you read, podcasts, movies, magazines, YouTube channels, Tweets by X, whatever else. You confirm if you're up to date or go episode by episode, book by book if you want and it will tell you when the next iteration of that comes out. Just one thing in one place that I can check that knows that specific info.

I'm not going to do it, just to get that out of the way.
That would be awesome!

Sent from my SM-A426U using JazzFanz mobile app

In general I don't like crap hanging from people's rearview mirrors, but especially dream catchers. Like go ahead and leave the 80s behind and get that dime store made in China dream catcher out of your car. It looks dumb AF in my opinion and makes no sense. The second worst is reflective crystal garbage. Again, leave the 90s alone. There are no magical powers emanating from your crystals, especially if your crystal is shaped like a teddy bear or a heart. The next two are almost as bad but they are just more pathetic than dumb. The garter from you wedding and the tassel from your HS graduation. Anything and everything else also sucks.

The little tree scent thing serves a purpose so I don't hate that as bad.

A medical mask is just nasty.

Keep in mind that in some jurisdictions it is illegal. No one cares about it from a safety standpoint but drug interdiction police officers use it as justification for a pretextual stop so they can pressure you into consenting to a search of your car.

In general I don't like crap hanging from people's rearview mirrors, but especially dream catchers. Like go ahead and leave the 80s behind and get that dime store made in China dream catcher out of your car. It looks dumb AF in my opinion and makes no sense. The second worst is reflective crystal garbage. Again, leave the 90s alone. There are no magical powers emanating from your crystals, especially if your crystal is shaped like a teddy bear or a heart. The next two are almost as bad but they are just more pathetic than dumb. The garter from you wedding and the tassel from your HS graduation. Anything and everything else also sucks.

The little tree scent thing serves a purpose so I don't hate that as bad.

A medical mask is just nasty.

Keep in mind that in some jurisdictions it is illegal. No one cares about it from a safety standpoint but drug interdiction police officers use it as justification for a pretextual stop so they can pressure you into consenting to a search of your car.
You're forgetting about the granddaddy of stupid things to hang there, fuzzy dice. Like... why?

I want someone to make an all-in-one tracker for things like TV series you watch, book series and/or authors you read, podcasts, movies, magazines, YouTube channels, Tweets by X, whatever else. You confirm if you're up to date or go episode by episode, book by book if you want and it will tell you when the next iteration of that comes out. Just one thing in one place that I can check that knows that specific info.

I'm not going to do it, just to get that out of the way.
Make it so that people can tag what episode of something they watched in a discussion, and if you haven't seen it, it won't even show the message to you.

[hiding my sparkly unicorn dangling from my rear view mirror from Gameface]

Sent from my SM-A426U using JazzFanz mobile app
I was thinking this about my jazz logo I have hanging from mine. My family bought it for me for Christmas one year, it's an enamel on metal, like a medal I guess, of the note logo.

I knew there would be people that don't like my take on the **** hanging from the rearview thing. I'm sorry, it is nothing personal and it doesn't affect what I think of the person doing it. That said, I hate it.

So I'll cut a long story as short as possible, recently my workplace has changed agency staff provider in a process that is almost without any credible doubt corrupt. (in a public office I might add so its criminal too) Since this change the agency provider has effective dictated the conditions and terms of employment for agency staff at the detriment of our own staff. Within this framework there are daily roster ****ups that we have to sort out. When i tell an agency staff member that presents that i have no work for them the standard response is i'll call my boss and clarify before i leave. (this happens every other day) LIKE THAT ****ING MATTERS!!!!! I run my shift and I say what goes, some **** from an external agency tells me to do anything I will happily tell them to **** themselves with a horse ****.

End of shift tonight three ***** rock up for two jobs while nobody rocks up at the sister campus for a shift, all three flatly refuse to go to the sister campus. If it had been my shift, I'd have given them 5 minutes to sort it out between them before I sent the three of them home on the spot and written them up. What a ****ing dogs breakfast.

As I am working to get back on keto, finding alternative sweeteners for various products is important. So why the hell do they put stevia in everything? For something like 30% of the population it is a bitter ****** flavor, much like a certain percentage of people find cilantro to be soapy or something (I don't, thank goodness). To me stevia is off-puttingly bitter. I can handle nutrasweet, or most any of the sugar alcohols, but stevia is just nasty. I am sure it is a cost thing to use stevia since it is fairly cheap and they can use much less of it, but the bitter taste just ruins everything. I wish more manufacturers would use monkfruit or allulose, or even just erythritol. These are much less off-putting and allulose in baked goods is nearly indistinguishable from sugar, since it is actually a naturally-occurring sugar to begin with. Just please, stop putting stevia in everything. Ugh.
There are monkfruit sweetened products and sweeteners out there now. Better for you without the nasty aftertaste. It’s more expensive though because I think most of what it comes from grows in China or Japan or whatever. I think one of the companies makes it look like the different sugars you use, crystallized or whatever you call sugar… granulated. It’s out there if you want to pay extra for something better for you.

There are monkfruit sweetened products and sweeteners out there now. Better for you without the nasty aftertaste. It’s more expensive though because I think most of what it comes from grows in China or Japan or whatever. I think one of the companies makes it look like the different sugars you use, crystallized or whatever you call sugar… granulated. It’s out there if you want to pay extra for something better for you.
The monkfruit that looks like sugar is mostly erythritol. Monkfruit is like 200 times sweeter than sugar so the erythritol tones it down. The benefit is that it is a 1:1 replacement for sugar and can be used in baking and any other thing you'd use sugar as a sweetener for. There was a study about erythritol recently that made it seem pretty bad but I think that the amount the people in the study were eating was A LOT.

I've been making fermented hot sauce and the fermentation process consumes all the sugar from the chilis and other vegetables so I've been using monkfruit at the end because it doesn't ferment out. I found monkfruit in liquid extract form that is pure monkfruit. Only takes a handful of drops to add sweetness to 32oz or so of hot sauce. It is pricey though.

Yeah I have been using monkfruit/erythritol mix, the problem with it is it does not dissolve well in, well anything really. Ends up gritty somewhat. The magic one to me is allulose. It is actually a sugar, just one your body cannot metabolize, so it tastes (mostly) and acts like sugar, but you perceive it to be less sweet, so you need more of it. But it doesn't have any real side effects, like the cooling effect you get from sugar alcohols that can be weird or the bitter aftertaste of the chemical sweetener alternatives. I made some kumquat marmalade with it and another batch with regular sugar and about half the people that tasted it said they preferred the lighter taste with the allulose, and you really couldn't tell it was not regular sugar, people just thought we put a little less sugar in it. Great stuff.

The monkfruit that looks like sugar is mostly erythritol. Monkfruit is like 200 times sweeter than sugar so the erythritol tones it down. The benefit is that it is a 1:1 replacement for sugar and can be used in baking and any other thing you'd use sugar as a sweetener for. There was a study about erythritol recently that made it seem pretty bad but I think that the amount the people in the study were eating was A LOT.

I've been making fermented hot sauce and the fermentation process consumes all the sugar from the chilis and other vegetables so I've been using monkfruit at the end because it doesn't ferment out. I found monkfruit in liquid extract form that is pure monkfruit. Only takes a handful of drops to add sweetness to 32oz or so of hot sauce. It is pricey though.
Yea, the study was flawed and probably sponsored to flame sugar competition. I think the people used in the study were people coming in with heart problems, so of course you get certain results. Expand the pool and do a real study.

Interesting about the hot sauce. Who knew, way to be creative and solve it.

When people use the phrase "It makes me sad that I live in a world where we need something like this" or "...where this needs to be said" or "...where this is a thing," when the thing is not "needed" at all, it's just some dumb ******** that someone is trying to make a buck on or some idiotic hot take someone makes or just some "trend" that 5 people did but it got a bunch of publicity because of how stupid it is.

Hey would you send me, or post, your recipe and process you are using for hot sauce? I have tried fermented hot sauces before and usually ended up with something that is more pickle than hot sauce or once I ended up with a killer jalapeno pickled salsa that was great as it was rather than pureeing or filtering to get the "sauce" consistency. Right now I am fermenting a batch of sauerkraut. I do that about 3 times per year, end up with enough for the 2 of us for the most part. Anyway I would be interested in trying your recipe. I have access to manzano peppers that are naturally pretty sweet and want to try fermenting them for a sauce or something.

When people use the phrase "It makes me sad that I live in a world where we need something like this" or "...where this needs to be said" or "...where this is a thing," when the thing is not "needed" at all, it's just some dumb ******** that someone is trying to make a buck on or some idiotic hot take someone makes or just some "trend" that 5 people did but it got a bunch of publicity because of how stupid it is.
That is also partly the nostalgia effect, the idea that the status quo, or "the good old days" are somehow better than today because our minds naturally filter out and dampen bad memories and enhance good ones, so it seems like we remember things being better when they really were not.

People using the word "finesse" as a verb, and particularly using it in place of the real verb they mean to use, like "cheating" or "stealing" or "lying", et al.

"Watch me finesse a free drink at Starbucks." should be "Watch me cheat to get a free drink at Starbucks."

Or one that was really interesting in a tiktok my son sent me, went something like "Finessing $50 from the till at the end of the day." while the guy miscounted his till, showed how to falsify the count, and pocketed $50, and it got lots of likes and views, and plenty of lawls. Apparently people are fine with stealing when they can use the word "finesse" instead.

Another one that came in a somewhat disturbing tiktok showed a hand dropping some powder into a drink, then it cut to a couple of women dancing on the dance floor and drinking from a cup that looked like the one that had the powder dropped in it, while the overlay read "finessing me some panties tonight" or something similar. I am sure it was cut together to just look like a roofie but good hell, this kind of **** passes for entertainment? No wonder our society is falling apart. I am sure it would have received tons of views and likes if they overlay read "working on some date rape tonight" or even something more benign like "having sex with a passed out girl tonight". At least those would have raised some red flags, but hey, he said "finessing" which means he was tricking the system in a cool way, so it's all ok, right?