What's new

Summer 2019 Roster Discussion

Favors doesn't have an option, so there's no opting in necessary. This makes him more valuable, actually, because if the receiving team simply wants cap space, they can waive him by his guarantee date (July 7, I believe).

That said, I really don't want to see Favors go.

He’s non guaranteed... they would have to guarantee his salary or he counts as a zero for salary matching purposes.

They changed the rule a year or so ago.

No thanks to Conley. Losing Rubio, Favors, Exum, and probably our pick for a $35 million 30+ PG who probably doesn't even want to come here isn't worth it.

I'm more and more intrigued with Satoransky.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

No thanks to Conley. Losing Rubio, Favors, Exum, and probably our pick for a $35 million 30+ PG who probably doesn't even want to come here isn't worth it.

I'm more and more intrigued with Satoransky.

Sato had one impressive move to score over Royce today. Also ends up with 6 ast on 0 TOs. Ricky, on the other hand, had 10 ast on 6 TOs.

Last edited:
The upshot on making an offseason trade is the possibility of keeping Favors in the process.

Is Conley + Favors < Kemba ?

The upshot on making an offseason trade is the possibility of keeping Favors in the process.

Is Conley + Favors < Kemba ?
I don’t think Favors + Conley is possible because there is no way to land Conley without including (or waiving) Favors. Honestly, we have the 4 and the 1 we can address, but if we go the salary cap route, it means we can upgrade one position while weakening the other. If we operate above the cap, we can upgrade one position while keeping one the same. This is one of a handful of reasons that I think Kevin Love is our most likely acquisition.

I don’t think Favors + Conley is possible because there is no way to land Conley without including (or waiving) Favors. Honestly, we have the 4 and the 1 we can address, but if we go the salary cap route, it means we can upgrade one position while weakening the other. If we operate above the cap, we can upgrade one position while keeping one the same. This is one of a handful of reasons that I think Kevin Love is our most likely acquisition.

Sign and trade Rubio!

The Jazz would still be under the cap if they retained Favors and let everyone else walk (about $17 million, I believe) which is cap they can absorb, but then they can take back 150% of incoming salaries after that. It requires using Exum's salary, but Exum's salary counts for about $16 million at that point and you're there before you've included another player.

Pretty sure anyway.

Last edited:
If the jazz want a max contract they will have to give up all free agents including Rubio, Thabo, and Ekpe. They will have to waive Favs, and one of Neto, Royce, and Niang. That will give them the 32.8 mil required. They would then be able to use their mid level worth 4.8 mil and minimum salary contracts.

It would look like this

Rubio/Thabo/Ekpe/Favors/Neto
For
Max/Mid/Rookie/Min/Min

The jazz roster after dumping said players would look like this

Exum/Grayson
Mitchell/Korver
Ingles/O’Neal
Crowder/Niang
Gobert/Bradley

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

Walker seems conflicted on heading back to Charlotte. If he does leave, I don't think it would be for us, but you never know. http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26499125/walker-uncertain-future-hornets

I think Charlotte has 3 scenarios:

#1 most logical - make a draft day trade to entice Kemba to re-sign. Their pick and expirings should be for grabs. Kevin Love seems to make the most sense.

#2 hope Kemba re-signs

#3 if Kemba leaves, become the biggest tanker next season

First time I've said this - if we want to win a title with Donovan eventually, I think we should trade Gobert now at his absolutely peak. His value right now is sky high and could bring back a sizeable return. He is in his prime and will be on the decline by the time Donovan is "superstar" level.

Keep Favors for center and find that other dynamic wing or PG we so desperately need.

First time I've said this - if we want to win a title with Donovan eventually, I think we should trade Gobert now at his absolutely peak. His value right now is sky high and could bring back a sizeable return. He is in his prime and will be on the decline by the time Donovan is "superstar" level.

Keep Favors for center and find that other dynamic wing or PG we so desperately need.

I agree with this. I'd rather go the Portland route than the route the jazz are trying to take right now.

Like, if you're of the opinion that Mitchell/Gobert/3rd star + some better shooters isn't good enough to compete then that's an issue with the core, and to me the onus is on Mitchell to be that consistent super star that we all know he can be vs what we've seen with him in the playoffs so far.

Like, I'd be willing to argue that he's only had one good series against OKC so far and that was when he got to abuse Melo for 30 minutes a game. He needs help obviously but he also needs to figure out how to impact a game when he isn't able to score and so far he can't do that.

edit: He's still plenty young and there's way too much there that suggests he will figure all this out eventually but let's park the trading Gobert nonsense as he's not the issue in the slightest.

lol @ trading Gobert
Or lose him for nothing when he becomes a FA and goes to an organization that wants to win and will spend the money to do so? Utah is 23rd this season in payroll. Of the playoff teams, only Indiana is lower. Since Tight Wad took over as GM, the Jazz have been at/near the bottom of the league except for Hayward's walk year, when Dennis signed JJ and traded for Fat Boris. The Jazz organization has really only shown once (during the Boozer/Millsap transition), that they would spend significant money on the team.

And there's even less incentive to do so now. Jazz can continue to rake in marketing dollars and sell out the arena due to having Donovan. People just keep spending and spending.