What's new

Summer 2019 Roster Discussion

i don't think that's a given He 100% completely dodged the question of staying long term when asked by a reporter in Philly couple days ago

You got a link? All I can see is he said some vague stuff on JJs pod.

i'm trying to remember i think it was on twitter, but it was a video

I don’t think it’s a done deal either... if they have a locker room issue or suck in the playoffs I’m sure he will look elsewhere...

He did say he values loyalty... and that is certainly something we have. Ben Jimmy and Joel all seem like guys that could rub someone the wrong way... Joel is more funny and honest so I’m sure some guys love him... just a big personality.

Request a meeting with him and Boban and keep them together. The issue is Philly has the 5 year contract trump card... he ain’t leaving for less dollars.

I don’t think it’s a done deal either... if they have a locker room issue or suck in the playoffs I’m sure he will look elsewhere...

He did say he values loyalty... and that is certainly something we have. Ben Jimmy and Joel all seem like guys that could rub someone the wrong way... Joel is more funny and honest so I’m sure some guys love him... just a big personality.

Request a meeting with him and Boban and keep them together. The issue is Philly has the 5 year contract trump card... he ain’t leaving for less dollars.

you'd think wouldn't you ? although the extra year / more money thing doesn't seem to really have swayed any players who wanted to move thus far. It's a great situation for him there tho so it's hard to imagine him leaving but yeah it's a little open

If the jazz don't make a substantial move this summer they may as well trade Gobert to give him his shot at a ring. I'm beginning to be a bigger fan of the players than the franchise and just want to see them succeed. If DL isn't going to put a team around Gobert that can really compete then move Gobert to give him that shot.

Any chance we can get Stanley Johnson at 3mil or less would be a steal. Seems to have fallen out of Pelicans rotation but has decent size and athleticism that could help us out when facing quicker and more explosive forwards.

If the jazz don't make a substantial move this summer they may as well trade Gobert to give him his shot at a ring. I'm beginning to be a bigger fan of the players than the franchise and just want to see them succeed. If DL isn't going to put a team around Gobert that can really compete then move Gobert to give him that shot.
We’ve been to the semifinals two years in a row and both times Goberts impact was severely limited, especially on defense. Capela owned him, he couldn’t guard any Warriors, and CP3 feasted on him after switches.

I love Gobert, but you’re way ahead of yourself here. We are on year two of this team, and in good shape once again. Before we start feeling terrible for Gobert that he plays for a super solid team even in a small market. He can first do plenty more to improve his own game. And so far this season it looks like he took the challenge to heart, his perimeter D seems much improved.

We’ll see how it looks in April and May.

Is there a Gobertfanzz website?

Any chance we can get Stanley Johnson at 3mil or less would be a steal. Seems to have fallen out of Pelicans rotation but has decent size and athleticism that could help us out when facing quicker and more explosive forwards.
I just don't think he's that good but if you want him as an end of bench flyer I'm not entirely against it. He's more a guy you go for if you've addressed needs already or strike out on all other primary options, not a guy you'd want to rely upon with rotation minutes imo.

Stanley Johnson will be out of the league within the next few years. Quite possibly this summer. He brings nothing to an NBA team.

How much money would we have to throw at Bogdonovich to get him to leave Indiana? If we keep Favors and renounce Rubio, Sefelosha, Neto and Udoh I think we could come up with somewhere around 18-20 million. Would that be enough?

I wouldn't be surprised if the Jazz re-visit the Mike Conley talks around draft day. Maybe Exum + our first round pick gets it done. It saves them a ton of money to retool that team when free agency hits. Then we would probably fully guarantee Favs, Neto and Korver (maybe work out a restructured deal with Korver) for next season. We would likely let Rubio, Sefolosha and Udoh walk.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Jazz re-visit the Mike Conley talks around draft day. Maybe Exum + our first round pick gets it done. It saves them a ton of money to retool that team when free agency hits. Then we would probably fully guarantee Favs, Neto and Korver (maybe work out a restructured deal with Korver) for next season. We would likely let Rubio, Sefolosha and Udoh walk.

I don’t think the salary cap would allow that, maybe I’m wrong.

I don’t think the salary cap would allow that, maybe I’m wrong.

Only way to do it on draft night would be to do Dante plus Favs (we'd have to guarantee his salary for next year before doing the trade). I think you could do Exum, Korver, Crowder to make salaries match (add in Tony Bradley if you need to). Couldn't use our cap space until July... and I'd prefer to do it prior to free agency then operate over the cap.

We could opt in to Favs and move him and Exum for Conley... could carve about 10-12M in space to sign someone... I think you can get a contributor at that price. If there was a free agent outside that price you could likely work a sign and trade...

Just to get @infection excited... you could for example trade Crowder to the Bucks in a sign and trade and ink Niko to an $16M deal.

Could operate over the cap and sign and trade Rubio... I think you could then use MLE, but might be hard-capped at the apron because you did a sign and trade. Not sure anyone is interested in giving up something good for Ricky in a sign and trade... they'd obviously just sign him outright if they had space.

We could opt in to Favs and move him and Exum for Conley... could carve about 10-12M in space to sign someone... I think you can get a contributor at that price. If there was a free agent outside that price you could likely work a sign and trade...

Just to get @infection excited... you could for example trade Crowder to the Bucks in a sign and trade and ink Niko to an $16M deal.

Could operate over the cap and sign and trade Rubio... I think you could then use MLE, but might be hard-capped at the apron because you did a sign and trade. Not sure anyone is interested in giving up something good for Ricky in a sign and trade... they'd obviously just sign him outright if they had space.
Favors doesn't have an option, so there's no opting in necessary. This makes him more valuable, actually, because if the receiving team simply wants cap space, they can waive him by his guarantee date (July 7, I believe).

That said, I really don't want to see Favors go.