What's new

Summer League Conclusions

Borat

What a rough SL for Exum. I doubt he would be going in top 5 had the draft been held tomorrow, but let's hope he can get in shape and improve during the summer and be able to contribute this season. Many were elated when Gordon laid an egg a week ago, well Exum managed to do even worse.

While I can understand Exum's horrendous performance due to electing not to play ball for a year and hurt his stock since he was projected to go top 5 anyway, Burke disappointed tremendously. After entire year of NBA experience as a starter, he got schooled in SL again, showing no progress at all. As much promise as he had when he was drafted, I am afraid to say the way he performed is extremely discouraging for his future in NBA.

Hood delivered. Yeah, he was uneven, but overall he looks ready to play off the bench or even start in case if injury to Burks/Hayward. Great pick at #23. He is turning 22 this year, so expectations were higher than for 19 year old players in SL, but he came up with he goods.

Gobert looks much improved this year from year before and should be a solid backup to Favors. Hopefully he will take up all minutes behind him and get a chance to start in case of injury.

Hope they do good tomorrow then...

I thought it was a pretty good SL for Exum considering he just turned 19 and hasn't played for a while. I loved what Hood showed, he's going to be solid. btw...

Your doing it wrong if your looking at box score stats in SL. You want to look for things that will translate in the NBA. For instance, Exum can turn the corner and get by his man as advertised. Once he builds his strength and stamina up, he will be finishing as well. Burke's shot is off but he was splitting double teams and finished a couple of and 1's, something he could not do last year in SL. He won't be an all star, but will be much improved next year. Also...one game left

I'm not going to draw too many conclusions from Summer League. Brand new coach, with a new system of offense and defense. It's going to take time to implement it and get the players all on the same page. I'm encouraged by how composed Burke and Exum were in running a brand new offensive system and by the overall improvements in passing and team defense. Those should be a focal point for improvement, and thus far it seems that they're emphasizing it accordingly.

All of the young guys are going to need to lean the new system and get comfortable playing together in their new roles. I think that Favors, Kanter, Hayward, Burks and Burke will all be very improved under Coach Q's emphasis on player development now that Corbin is gone. I'm also excited to see how Exum, Gobert and Hood fit into the equation. I know that we're going to need to be patient with all of them. It's going to be a process to build this team, and they're still in the beginning stages of that process.

Based on Summer League, would any of the top 10 picks have been picked in the top 10 again? Maybe Wiggins. Parker, Gordon, Exum, Randle, Smart, Stauskus and Vonleh all looked like young rookies who have upside but a lot of room to grow and develop. They're trying to run new systems with new teammates (many of whom won't even be in the D-league this season) and the officiating was terrible from what I saw. Warren, McDermott and Harris all looked good to me, but that's about it for the rookies. I'm glad that teams don't really base much of the decision-making process off of summer league play.

What a rough SL for Exum. I doubt he would be going in top 5 had the draft been held tomorrow, but let's hope he can get in shape and improve during the summer and be able to contribute this season. Many were elated when Gordon laid an egg a week ago, well Exum managed to do even worse.

While I can understand Exum's horrendous performance due to electing not to play ball for a year and hurt his stock since he was projected to go top 5 anyway, Burke disappointed tremendously. After entire year of NBA experience as a starter, he got schooled in SL again, showing no progress at all. As much promise as he had when he was drafted, I am afraid to say the way he performed is extremely discouraging for his future in NBA.

Hood delivered. Yeah, he was uneven, but overall he looks ready to play off the bench or even start in case if injury to Burks/Hayward. Great pick at #23. He is turning 22 this year, so expectations were higher than for 19 year old players in SL, but he came up with he goods.

Gobert looks much improved this year from year before and should be a solid backup to Favors. Hopefully he will take up all minutes behind him and get a chance to start in case of injury.

Your conclusion is very bad. Exum looked exactly the way I expected him to. He showed a great first step, and playmaking skills. Exum showed to be a much better passer then I ever expected for a 19 yr old who hasn't played much in a year. I his handle was weak, but I'm confident this will improve as he ages, and gets stronger, and feel the same about his poor finishing ability close to the basket, should get better with time. Overall, he showed glimpses of what he will be in a few years. Right now he's young and showed it in SL. His game needs time to mature.

Other then shooting And the first game... Burke played well, playing with in the flow of the offense, and doing a nice job setting up his teamates, and showed increased ability to get into the lane, and make things happen.

I've come away with guarded optimism about Hood. Very smooth athlete, and great touch from three and from mid-range. His defense was worse the pathetic till tonight. Tonight he did well looked engaged, and like he knew what he was doing, so that's encouraging to see. With Hood my fear is that he's soft and timid, and shies from contact, and lacked aggression, also he shied from contact, and looked awkward finishing inside, he seemed to shy from contact going in for layups in traffic. Hood is a very skilled and versatile player, can play sg or sf, and good rebounder and passer, confortable dribble and looks good in pick'n roll offense, and looks nba ready as anyone from this draft.

Gobert looked like the most improved player in SL from last year to now. Hope that translates to an extended opportunity to see legitimate playing time this year. The front court tandem of Gobert, Favors and Kanter has ridiculous potential under Quin Snyder. I'm excited to see how these guys respond to improves coaching and real opportunities.

Jazz just played third game in forth night, with a new coach, new offense, new defense, new players, but at least the old familiar Negative Neds and Debbie Downer fans showed up.

Your doing it wrong if your looking at box score stats in SL.

How can anybody look at historical Vegas summer league stats and say that? Guards that scored less than 10 points/game in the Vegas summerleague and ever did anything in the NBA:

2013 - Shelden Mack and Kendall Marshall.

2012 - Dragic and Kendall Marshall.

2010 - Jeremy Lin and Darren Collinson.

2009 - ? Smush Parker and Kyle Weaver I guess.....scrapping the barrell here.

2008 - Nate Robinson and George Hill.

2007 - Sergio Rodriguez and Roman Sessions.

And on and on and on. And I'm not just picking 2 guys for each year for listing purposes....that's really all there is.

How can anybody look at historical Vegas summer league stats and say that? Guards that scored less than 10 points/game in the Vegas summerleague and ever did anything in the NBA:

2013 - Shelden Mack and Kendall Marshall.

2012 - Dragic and Kendall Marshall.

2010 - Jeremy Lin and Darren Collinson.

2009 - ? Smush Parker and Kyle Weaver I guess.....scrapping the barrell here.

2008 - Nate Robinson and George Hill.

2007 - Sergio Rodriguez and Roman Sessions.

And on and on and on. And I'm not just picking 2 guys for each year for listing purposes....that's really all there is.

How many of them had just turned 19?

Didn't Deron Williams have a turrible first summer league? He even played in the college championship game and was getting schooled by d-league scrubs. Deron was a douche but he turned out pretty good, eh?

Exums shot looked horrible. Mid range, three, free throw line. All off it.
That is my biggest worry for him.

He looks fast and long and smart and seems to have a good personality and has good court vision.

Ball hog Burke; Ice Cold Trey
Horrible shooting, some boneheaded TO's. This guy is TURRIBLE.

Seriously, if you didn't know who he was, you'd be wondering which 2nd-tier foreign league he'd be playing in.

To be honest, I think Exum ended up in the best possible situation. The Jazz are going to be patient in developing him. Burke can start without there being too much pressure, but I can guarantee you that Quin is going to teach Dante how to run the offense at his pace (which should be good once he adjusts to the altitude) and they can really focus on the mechanics of his shot. He needs to get stronger, but has shown a willingness to work hard to improve. I think he'll be fine. His shot will improve. Lack of competition for the past year and youthful inexperience are still his two biggest hurdles to overcome.

we have one more game tomorrow. for now.... exum has huge potential, but need to shoot consistently. he is only 19 years he might struggle during rookie year, but next year... he will dominate easily

How many of them had just turned 19?

Guards that made the NBA and were 19 in the summerleague with a lack of stats? 0. Is that what you were going for? Because that doesn't exactly help. Since there have been other 19 year olds playing in the summerleague....that just means they either totally flamed out or were more productive than the under 10 ppg crowd.

He does have some unique circumstances. I really still don't understand what exactly he has been doing for the past year.

we have one more game tomorrow. for now.... exum has huge potential, but need to shoot consistently. he is only 19 years he might struggle during rookie year, but next year... he will dominate easily

Just like our draft pick last season. He struggled during summer league, then dominated the next year. Oh wait...

Just like our draft pick last season. He struggled during summer league, then dominated the next year. Oh wait...

Oh good counter! What happened to one guy has to be what happens to someone else. No other outcome is remotely possible.

Bunch of haters

GO JAZZ! GO HOOD, HAYWARD, FAVORS, EXUM, BURKS, GOBERT, BURKE AND KANTER.

Oh good counter! What happened to one guy has to be what happens to someone else. No other outcome is remotely possible.

Bunch of haters

GO JAZZ! GO HOOD, HAYWARD, FAVORS, EXUM, BURKS, GOBERT, BURKE AND KANTER.
Just saying the absence of success in one year does not necessarily equate to greatness in the next.

Keepin' it real!

And BTW, I have been one of the biggest Exum supporters but think many have unrealistic expectations this season. Burke, on the other hand...I will make no excuse for having called him out as a bad mistake since last summer.